Setting the method for rolling ability scores

Orius

Legend
I'm also in agreement with @cavalier973, the methods for rolling are also dependant on which set of rules you're using. D&D has at least 4 different systems for character scores and stat generation affects them them differently.

In OD&D and Holmes Basic, stats don't really matter much. Only Dex, Con, and Cha gives bonuses and then only +1s. Str, Int, and Wis determine bonus XP. Here the straight 3d6 might be okay, because there's so little to optimize. The biggest concern is more likely the bonus XP rather than the stat bonuses. Even then though Gary found that enough players were dissatisfied with poor random rolls.

Second is AD&D. Stats give out bonuses, but pretty much only from 15 and up. It kind of encourages a desire for very high stats just to have even a moderate boost, and that eventually led to the logic of UA's overpowered Method V. I'm not really a fan of this system, because of the huge range of identical stats in the middle and because there's a lot of fiddly bits thrown in, sometimes a stat gives a +1-4, sometimes it has a percentage chance for something and so on.

Third is Classic D&D. The modifiers for 3-18 are on a bell curve, and are consistently applied. If you want to go past that range, the Immortal rules extend things. I like this system because it's easy to remember, and the results aren't too overpowered.

Fourth is the modern system where every +2 increase in an ability score gives a +1 bonus. It's also pretty easy to remember and use though I think 5e drops a few subtle aspects of the system that made it pretty good in 3e.

Of these systems, I like Classic D&D's bell curve and the modern linear progression the best, because the stats generally mean something. And I usually give players the choice of at least 2 of 4d6, the standard array or point buy. The standard array is designed for the modern system, but it should work fine with Classic. It would be somewhat useless in AD&D. The standard array is a good method for novice players as well since it gives them a decent set of stats to learn things with.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I agree with a lot of the prior discussion that it comes down to a combination of player expectations and rules context.

In 1974 OD&D the bonuses available were minimal and scores didn't matter much. But as soon as Supplement I: Greyhawk came out Fighters were REALLY hoping for that 18 Strength...

B/X and BECMI had moderate effects from ability scores, and they had you roll 3d6 down the line, but they also allowed point-swapping to boost your Prime Requisite.

AD&D made you need scores of between 13 to 16 to get any bonus, and made big bonuses available at the top of the scale. No wonder that Gygax advises in the 1978 PH that a character probably needs at least two scores of 15 to be viable. And in the DMG officially makes "4d6 drop lowest arrange to taste" the primary method, while also offering others more or less generous (and even more generous options in Unearthed Arcana in 1985).

Really? I don't know anyone that doesn't use stat array, order as you choose in 5E. Though, I suppose you are correct. You still arrange the scores as you see fit, so I suppose that would be a set method for generation that old school didn't often offer.
For the record, this is exactly Method I from AD&D, per the 1979 DMG.

Not just that, but the definition of "playable" seems to have crept upwards across the editions...

(Although having said that, there's commentary in the 1st Ed DMG that puts something of a lie to it. But since 2nd Ed it seems to be an upward trend.)
It's surprising how consistent a lot of editions are with what Gygax advocated in 1E, as far as high stats. 2nd ed was a weird aberration in again offering 6 x 3d6 as the default method, more like OD&D.

Hear me now and thank me later .... you want fun? You want fairness? You want cut throat competition and game theory?

Get everyone together and draft your character abilities.
Certainly fun.

I'm currently considering a system of 3d6 in order, with the option to move each score around as desired.
Any score tha remains in the place it was rolled for gets a +1.

It provides an option to get the highest and lowest scores in whichever abilities benefit your desired class, but there's also a good incentive not to do so and first take a moment to consider if there's something interesting that could be done with the scores as they fell. Especially when the +1 pushes the score over the limit for a higher modifiers.
I like this idea. Incentivizing the randomness.

Right now my favorite luck-mitigator for old school stat generation is the mirror approach.

Use B/X or 3E+ stat mods. Have the players roll 3d6 in order BUT allow them to "flip" or "mirror" the array. That is, subtract every score in order from 21, so every high score becomes low and vice-versa. This way average characters still appear, and if a character has overall low scores the player can just flip the numbers and have high stats. On the other hand, if they have a suboptimal set of stats overall but a high score in the prime req for the class the player wants, they can keep the original array.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
What's draft?

I'm assuming that you have a set of ability scores like "Str 17" and "Dex 16" and the players take turns selecting them? If someone could explain how they draft ability scores, please share, it sounds interesting.
We've had a couple of these on these forums, including TwoSix's playtest for his system, and El Remmen's before that.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
We've had a couple of these on these forums, including TwoSix's playtest for his system, and El Remmen's before that.

Thank you, I think I'll attempt a variation on this for my next game.

Remove ads