• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SG1: An Old Friend (Wik Judging)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Dirk Nightbreese said:
Shifting to the Shopkeep, asks him to gather the requested gear.
The dwarf rings up their final purchases: 50 ft. of silk rope with grapple, the improptu manacles, two tanglefoot bags, and a thunderstone. The total comes to five gold over Aldus' credit, which the party provides.

Dirk Nightbreese said:
Turning back to Cheep/Aldus, the Wizard queries, 'Aldus, can you describe Doggie and Fetch for us? Should we be wary of them? Or will they aid us?'
As the final tally is being run, Aldus describes Doggie and Fetch as other helpful constructs he created---one, a dog-like protector and the other a puff of shadow for gathering things. "But me vault separate me from them, so I cannot be sensing them as a I do with Cheep; I be making Cheep special so I can speak through him anyplace. But if Fetch and Doggie still be around, they will be in a right nasty mood. Best be finding me control stone I made in me bedroom upstairs if you wish to be pacifying them." Cheep then looks as stern as its small features can. "But no be destroying them! I put meself into them; could not bear to be having them destroyed!"
[sblock=Mathew/Mellub]By his description, you suspect they are other homunculi, namely an iron defender and furtive fetcher. If they were destroyed, it would harm their creator due to their arcane connection.[/sblock]

stonegod

A Holdup in Highhold

Their purchases complete, the group follows Aldus/Cheep through the ill-fitting bridges and byways towards his home/workshop in Highhold. The midday traffic is light, and the occasional passerby gives the strange group a once lookover before going about their own business.

In a little over a half hour, the group gets close to Aldus' demesne. The dwarf-proportioned towers are close together, most three stories at the least, dotted with balconies. A mixture of businesses and restaurants can be seen, though residences dominate. A dwarven matron three stories above gives the group a queer look before ducking back inside a nearby home.

The group can see Aldus' front door. Outside, a surly-looking human thug with a thick club leans against the front door, looking bored and glaring at a few of the passerbys. Over his rough clothes his bears the familiar tabbard of the Watch. From the groups vantage point, they cannot see the balcony Aldus described, which must be on the far side of the building. The guard does not seem to have seen them as of yet, focused instead on his immediate vicinity.

attachment.php

Ground Floor

attachment.php

Upper Floor

Map Key: B: Balnibar, C:: Cheep, C: Corran, G: Genithar, L: Lorth, M: Mathew, W: Watchman.

Attachments

• SG1-lower.jpg
    SG1-lower.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 128
  • SG1-upper.jpg
    SG1-upper.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Effortlessly providing the extra 5 gp, his slim long fingered hand slipping into one of the pouches at his belt, Genithar thanks the Shopkeep and leaves with the group, putting his hood up.

Marching through the streets, the elf does not even gaze at the curious glances, his head and eyes hidden. Pushing his red spectacles up the thin bridge of his pointy nose, Genithar stows the manacles in his black satchel, offering the other items to those who would take them.

Attaining the immediate area of Thunderbanner's shop, the Wizard gives the guard the briefest of glances before silently halting the group and moving out of sight of the human watchman.

Looking to his companions, Genithar hisses, 'Remember, Aldus warned of 'heavies' in the back. If that is where the balcony lies, the battle getting there would be fierce. On the other hand, getting past the lone sentinal is it's own battle, for he has the strength of the law in his sword arm. We would need to persuade him to leave or let us pass. Options?"

ooc; nice post/map, StoneGod

stonegod

Aldus points out the balcony his is talking about it on the south west east side of the building, the back door with the heavies are a in his workshop, the second floor of the second tower (you can see the bridge on the map near the top).

OOC: Maps are fun. Takes a bunch of time to set up, even with pre-fab maps, but I'm a visual person.

Nodding in thanks at Adlus' clarification, the Wizard offers the group additional questions, "Perfect, then who shall be ascending? Or should we all enter that way?"

Last edited:

Drerek

First Post
Dirk Nightbreese said:
Nodding in thanks at Adlus' clarification, the Wizard offers the group additional questions, "Perfect, then who shall be ascending? Or should we all enter that way?"
Lorth speaks up, "I am good at climbing and defending myself. I should go first up the balcony."

Redclaw

First Post
Aldus' earlier comments suggested that there is a larger force to get through if we go in from the front. If I understand his earlier comment, Corran looks questioningly at Cheep, We might be able to bypass a number of guards by going in through the balcony and get straight to the leaders. If we take down the herd leader, the rest may become much more docile. Besides, I can use my 'mark to find that control stone, if Aldus describes it to me.

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Balnibar strokes his goatee. "Well, either the sentry is truly the Watch, in which case he should answer to a distressed call, or he isn't, which means we are within our right to knock him senseless. I could start a diversion and determine which one he is... but the balcony is also a good option. Perhaps we should try for there, first."

Mellubb

First Post
"I could distract the gaurd by introducing my self and telling him I have urgrent business from my House. Then Jiminityblivet could sneak by and scout out it out so we have a better understanding of the layout."

Slowly removing his spectacles as he listens to his comrade's suggestions and thoughts, the Wizard wipes away accumulated condensation from Sharn's inclement weather.

Genithar's quick smirk at Lorth's words fade into a genuine smile at Corran's comment, though reverses course as a frown blooms at Balnibar's words, and finally goes neutral at Mathew's suggestion.

Clearing his throat, the elf reapplies his blood red spectacles, hiding his almond shaped eyes as he responds directly to the halfling, "Perhaps erring on the side of caution would be more prudent. Meaning, I suspect that this fellow by the door is both of the Watch AND of the Street. Plainly, what if he IS the watch, but not the most honorable?

Genithar's left eyebrow raises questioningly as he speaks, continueing, Indeed, it is my suggestion that we determine this Watchman's true identity. Thus we would need evidence for or against my suspicion. I believe we can find an answer to this question inside, from one of his comrades. I further suggest we bypass the front and all of us head directly for the bridge. Using the grapple and rope, Lorth will ascend first, followed by Balnibar, then Corran, then myself, and finally Mathew. If you all agree to this, I also think Mathew should infuse his own weapon with the 'Merciful' enchantment Aldus spoke of.

Still holding the group's collective equipment, the Wizard passes the Thunderstone and one of the Tanglefoot bags to Balnibar, the rope and grapple to Lorth, and holds on to the other Tanglefoot bag.

ooc; are we cool on the equipment?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads