• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City Adventure Path Campaign (Thread Closed)

Phyrrus

First Post
The spot is yours and welcome to the game.

All: I will start prepping up the city info and get it posted later today/first thing in the morning. Today is a great day for football afterall, Go Panthers!!!

Thanee

First Post
I'll wait with the background (altho I do have a good idea about it already) until there is a little information about Cauldron, so I can fit it in better. :)

I'll take starting gold of cleric, since HP has no starting gold and nothing to base it on, ok?

Raven
Female Oeridian, 1st-Level Human Paragon (XP 0)
Medium Humanoid (Human)

Hit Dice: 1d8 (8 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 armor), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+2
Attack: Flail (2H) +2 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Full Attack: Flail (2H) +2 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Adaptive Learning (Open Lock)
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Climb¹* +5(3), Escape Artist¹* +6(4), Hide* +2(0), Knowledge (local)¹ +3(1), Listen¹ +6(4), Move Silently¹* +2(0), Open Lock¹ +6(4), Search¹ +6(4), Sense Motive¹ +6(4), Spot¹ +6(4), Tumble¹* (0); ¹ Human Paragon Class Skill, * Armor Check Penalty -2
Feats: Simple Weapon Proficiency, Martial Weapon Proficiency (flail), Light Armor Proficiency, Able Learner, Combat Expertise
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Raven stands 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs 130 pounds. She is 19 years old, has shoulder-long, raven-black hair, blue eyes, and fair skin.

Raven speaks Common, Dwarven and Gnome.

Equipment: Flail, Dagger, Chain Shirt, Traveler's Outfit (2), Backpack, Bedroll, Scroll Case, Belt Pouch, Silk Rope (50 ft.), Sack, Waterskin, Sunrod (6), Tindertwig (6), Skeleton Keys, Wooden Holy Symbol of Dalt; 25 gp, 8 sp, 0 cp.

Bye
Thanee

Eluvan

First Post
Alright... here ya go. I think I'm going to come to love this character, if he lives long enough. :D

I've taken the Monkey Grip feat from Complete Warrior; hope that's okay. It's tied into his history, and goes perfectly with my conception of the character.

[sblock]Garrick
Half-Orc Male
Fighter 1
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Deity: St. Cuthbert
Current Experience: 0
Next Level: 1,000

18 Strength (+4) [10 points, +2 racial]
12 Dexterity (+1) [4 points]
14 Constitution (+2) [6 points]
12 Intelligence (+1) [6 points, -2 racial]
10 Wisdom (+0) [2 points]
6 Charisma (-2) [0 points, -2 racial]

Initiative: +1
Speed: 20’ Move (-10’ from Armour)

BAB: +1
Grapple: +5

Melee Attack Bonus: +6
Damage: 2d4+6 (Falchion)
AC: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 Armour), touch 11, flat-footed 14

Ranged Attack Bonus: +2 (30’ range)
Damage: 1d6+4 (Javelin)
AC: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 Armour), touch 11, flat-footed 14

Hit Points: 12
Fortitude Saves: +4
Reflex Saves: +1
Will Saves: +0

Feats:
Light Armour Proficiency
Medium Armour Proficiency
Heavy Armour Proficiency
Shield Proficiency
Tower Shield Proficiency
Simple Weapon Proficiency
Martial Weapon Proficiency
Weapon Focus (Falchion)
Monkey Grip

Abilities:
Darkvision 60’
Orc Blood

Skills:
+4 Climb [4]+0 (Str, Armour)
+2 Intimidate [4]-2 (Cha)
-2 Jump [4]-6 (Str, Movement, Armour)

Languages: Common, Giant, Orc

Weapons and Armour: (48 lbs)
Falchion (2d4, 18-20/x2, 8 lbs)
5x Javelin (1d6, x2, 30’ range, 2 lbs ea.)
Scale Mail (+4 Armour, +3 Max Dex Bonus, -4 Armour Check Penalty, 30 lbs)

Equipment: (27 lbs)
Wooden Holy Symbol of St. Cuthbert
Backpack (2 lbs)
*50’ Hemp Rope (10 lbs)
*Bedroll (5 lbs)
*4x Trail Rations (4 lbs)
*Whetstone (1 lb)
Waterskin (4 lbs)
Belt Pouch (0.5 lbs)
*11gp, 8sp, 9cp (0.5 lbs)

Total Equipment Weight: 75 lbs (Light Load; Max Load = 300 lbs)

Description:
Garrick is ugly. Really, really ugly. It’s a common epithet to say that somebody looks like they’ve been smashed in the face with a brick, but the difference here is that Garrick really has been smashed in the face with heavy, blunt objects, on a number of occasions, and it’s absolutely apparent. His nose is broken, giving it a strange slant to the left, and his face is scarred and malformed generally. His brow is thick and heavy, with big bushy black eyebrows that make this unfortunate trait even more pronounced. To top it off, his Orcish ancestry has gifted him with a pair of curved lower teeth that protrude considerably, almost like tusks. He has a mane of thick black hair, and a beard to match. His hair is perpetually matted and tangled. His eyes are dark, reddish brown and rather too small, seeming to peer out piggishly from under his pronounced brow.

All that said, and whilst he is undeniably not a pleasant sight, his appearance does at least seem to command some respect. Clad in piecemeal metal armour and bearing a large, wickedly curved sword at his hip, he’s obviously ready for any fight that might come his way. His confident, almost predatory, gait and his multitude of scars seem to suggest that he’s no stranger to battle, and the fact that he stands well over six feet and that his broadness and musculature suggest a bull rather than a human being only add to the general impression that he’s not really somebody to be tangled with.

Height: 6’5”
Weight: 260 lbs
Eyes: Red-brown
Hair: Black

Background:
Garrick never had a childhood as such. He’s unsure of the details of his parentage – his mother wasn’t exactly approachable, and in truth he never cared enough to ask. At any rate, he was born into a savage band of orcs, ogres and goblinkind, travelling here and there between different trade routes and never staying long enough in one place to attract too much adverse attention with their raiding activities. From the earliest age he was given no special treatment, save for the occasional spat comment of ‘half-breed’ or ‘thinblood’. He was treated much the same as the pure blooded orcish children, and expected to keep up with them. He was strong and tough, and keep up he did. His life was one of savagery, conflict, and the ever-present threat of death should he make a mistake.

Never particularly close to his mother or his pure blooded siblings, and his father of course being absent, the closest thing Garrick had to a parent as he grew up was a grizzled old Ogre named Thrast. Way past his prime, Thrast was still a formidable warrior and for whatever reasons of his own he took a somewhat sadistic interest in Garrick. The young half-orc found some protection under his aegis, but he paid the price for it in the inordinately harsh training the Ogre put him through. He insisted that the child use his own falchion when they trained, a ludicrously large weapon even for a fully grown orc. For a child it was difficult to heft, yet alone wield effectively, yet with long practice, and as he grew, Garrick slowly came to be capable with the huge weapon. He had to learn fast, for Thrast held back very little in his training bouts with his young protégé. Many of the extensive collection of scars Garrick bears came from the blows of his one-time mentor.

He was still little more than a child when the knights of St. Cuthbert descended on his tribe and annihilated it. That didn’t stop him from hefting his sword and fighting as hard as he knew how, of course, but it was certainly his youth that stayed the hand of whichever knight found him unconscious on the field of battle. He could have died there, like so many others, but instead he was taken captive and taken to St. Cuthbert’s temple. Many there considered that he should never have been captured, that he should have been cut down with the rest, and at first he did nothing to prove them wrong. He showed himself just as savage as his kin, resisting any attempts to talk reasonably with him and proving hostile to anybody approaching him. One man in particular, a priest named Dantan, made it his mission to rehabilitate Garrick. For some days he had no luck, Garrick either capriciously refusing to speak to him at all or snapping obscenities. It was only on the day that Garrick actually swung a punch at the priest that their relationship changed. Frustrated and angry, Dantan thrashed the boy soundly and left in disgust.

Next time he came, Garrick proved deferential and communicative. To his young mind, might made right, and having demonstrated his superior strength Dantan found it suddenly much easier to begin reshaping Garrick’s sensibilities. The boy’s savagery and surliness never really left him, but slowly it began to be focused into a devoted faith in St. Cuthbert. He showed a remarkably quick grasp of the faith’s tenets, and soon came to follow them almost fanatically. The temple is not entirely comfortable with his violent nature – it’s not good public relations to have such a savage and uncivilised proponent of the faith too prominent in the public eye. His devotion is valued, though, as is his great strength and considerable prowess. As such, the temple has sent him on his way to do St. Cuthbert’s work wherever he finds the need for it. His first priority is to commission a larger sword – the one he wields currently would be more than sufficient for most people, but with his background of training with Thrast it’s too small and light for his tastes.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Phyrrus

First Post
Thanee said:
Able Learner and Combat Expertise are the two feats (human bonus and 1st level).

Bye
Thanee

Sorry about that..saw the Adaptive Learning in there for lvl 1 HP, and got the two confused. Sorry about that.

Starman

Adventurer
I'm leaning toward a paladin right now, probably a half-elf. I'll work up some stats and a background when I get home tonight.

Phyrrus

First Post
Eluvan: I like the history and have no problem with the feat since it makes perfect sense with your backstory. I am curious as the if I am reading the feat right, in essence it only frees up your off hand, while still enforcing the -2 penalty if you were to get a Large falchion later. Am I correct in that?

Phyrrus

First Post
Starman said:
I'm leaning toward a paladin right now, probably a half-elf. I'll work up some stats and a background when I get home tonight.

That will definately shore up the fighting, but to be honest, the group is going to be weak in arcane casting, but who knows, depending on how you guys play it, that may never become a factor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads