• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City Adventure Path Campaign (Thread Closed)

Eluvan

First Post
Phyrrus said:
Eluvan: I like the history and have no problem with the feat since it makes perfect sense with your backstory. I am curious as the if I am reading the feat right, in essence it only frees up your off hand, while still enforcing the -2 penalty if you were to get a Large falchion later. Am I correct in that?

Glad you like the history. :)

Right now the feat does nothing for me at all - Garrick's wielding a Medium falchion (a large one would have cost precisely ALL my starting money :p), and the feat has no affect at all unless the character is wielding a weapon larger than his size category.

The point, though, is that at the very first opportunity Garrick is intending to procure himself a Large falchion. He'll be able to wield it with a -2 penalty, and it deals 2d6 damage. Without the feat, he wouldn't be able to use it at all.

Starman

Adventurer
Phyrrus said:
That will definately shore up the fighting, but to be honest, the group is going to be weak in arcane casting, but who knows, depending on how you guys play it, that may never become a factor.

Oh, I might play a sorcerer or something. I'm not set, yet.

Thanee

First Post
Phyrrus said:
Sorry about that..saw the Adaptive Learning in there for lvl 1 HP, and got the two confused. Sorry about that.

Nothing to be sorry about. :)

Err... I just recalled that you do not have the Races of Destiny book... in case you do not know Able Learner, it's a human (and doppelganger) only feat, which must be taken at 1st level and allows all cross-class skills to be learned with 1 skill point per rank (but the maximum ranks are still figured normally).

Bye
Thanee

Legildur

First Post
Phyrrus said:
I know that due to the racial, size, and rank abilities, he will have a min of +12 in Hide. I can accept that due to that. What I mean by obvious munchkin is just that, something like two 18s and the rest 8s.

We all have a touch of munchkin in us, but nothing that screams "I looked through all the books in order to make it impossible for me to fail" build...:)
I hear you. I had already statted out (including racial adjustments) before I read your reply: Str 10 (4pts), Dex 18 (10pts), Con 14 (4pts), Int 12 (4pts), Wis 12 (4pts), Cha 8 (2pts). 28 PB doesn't go far :)

So, did you say you wanted me to take Skill Focus (hide) at first level? </joke>

I was thinking about feats and Improved Initiative (it's always good to be first) or maybe Tactile Trapsmith (from Complete Adventurer - use Dex bonus instead of Int bonus for Search and Disable Device checks) are the main choices at the moment. But happy to have your feedback about Tactile Trapsmith.

Thanee

First Post
Phyrrus said:
Thanee: Then I should add skill monkey to your role as well then...:)

Not really. ;) With only 5 skill points per level (except for the few HP levels), that's hardly amazing, but at least decent enough to actually have some useful skills. :)

Bye
Thanee

Legildur

First Post
Initial draft of Flannad of clan Flanath
(still need to finalise equipment and appearance)
[SBLOCK=Flannad]
Code:
[b]Name:[/b] Flannad of clan Flanath
[b]Class:[/b] Rogue
[b]Race:[/b] Whisper Gnome
[b]Size:[/b] Small
[b]Gender:[/b] Male
[b]Alignment:[/b] Chaotic Good
[b]Deity:[/b] Olidamarra

[b]Str:[/b] 10 +0 	 [b]Level:[/b] 1[b]		  XP:[/b] nil
[b]Dex:[/b] 18 +4 [b]	 BAB:[/b] +0		  [b]HP:[/b] 7 (1d6+1)
[b]Con:[/b] 12 +1 	 [b]Grapple:[/b] -4[b]		  Dmg Red:[/b] nil
[b]Int:[/b] 14 +2 [b]	 Speed:[/b] 30ft.		  [b]Spell Res:[/b] nil
[b]Wis:[/b] 10 +0 [b]	 Init:[/b] +4[b]		  Spell Save:[/b] n/a
[b]Cha:[/b] 10 +0 	 [b]ACP:[/b] -0[b]		  Spell Fail:[/b] 10%

[b]          Base   Armor   Shld   Dex   Size   Nat   Misc   Total[/b]
[b]Armor:[/b]	  10	 +0	 +0     +4    +1     +0	   +0	  15
[b]Touch:[/b] 15[b]	 Flatfooted:[/b] 11

[b]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/b]
[b]Fort:[/b]		0      +1	  +1
[b]Ref:[/b]		2      +4	  +6
[b]Will:[/b]		0      +0         +0

[b]Weapon          Attack Damage      Critical[/b]

Dagger (melee)    +1     1d3       19-20/x2
Shortsword        +1     1d4       19-20/x2

Shortbow          +4     1d4          20/x2
Dagger (thrown)   +4     1d3       19-20/x2

[b]Languages:[/b] Common, Gnome, Halfling, Terran.

[b]Abilities:[/b] Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60ft., Favored class: Rogue;
Weapon Familiarity (gnome hooked hammer), +1 racial bonus on attack rolls
against kobolds and goblinoids, +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against
monsters of the giant type, +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks,
+2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks; Rogue weapon & armour
proficiencies; Sneak attack (+1d6); Trapfinding.

[b]Spell-Like Abilities:[/b] 1/day -- silence (must be centered on Flannad's body),
ghost sound, mage hand, message. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + spell level.

[b]Feats:[/b] Tactile Trapsmith.

[b]Skill Points:[/b] 40	   [b]Max Ranks:[/b] 4/2
[b]Skills	               Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/b]
Balance                  1    +4          +5
Climb                    2    +0          +2
Disable Device           4    +4    +2   +10
Escape Artist            1    +4          +5
Hide                     4    +4    +8   +16
Jump                     4    +0          +4
Listen                   4    +0    +2    +6
Move Silently            4    +4    +4   +12
Open Lock                4    +4    +2   +10
Search                   4    +4          +8
Spot                     4    +0    +2    +6
Tumble                   4    +4          +8

[b]Equipment:			    Cost      Weight[/b]
Armor, leather                      10gp        7lb
Shortsword                          10gp        1lb
Shortbow                            30gp        1lb
Arrows (20)                          1gp        3lb
Dagger                               2gp        0.5lb
Alchemists Fire                     20gp        1lb

Backpack                             2gp        0.5lb
Bedroll                              0.1gp      1lb
Blanket, winter                      0.5gp      0.5lb
Caltrops                             1gp        2lb
Case (map or scroll)                 0.1gp      1lb
Flint & steel                        1gp        -
Ink                                  8gp        -
Paper (10)                           4gp        -
Pouch, belt                          1gp        -
Rations, trail (per day) (x2)        1gp        0.5lb
Signal whistle                       0.8gp      -
Tindertwig (2)                       2gp        -
Tools, thieves', masterwork        100gp        2lb
Waterskin                            1gp        1lb
Whetstone                            1gp        1lb

[B]Coins:[/B]
Gold pieces (x5)                     4gp        0.1lb
Silver pieces (x5)                   0.5gp      0.1lb
[B]Total:[/B]                             200.0gp     23.2lb

[b]Lgt   Med   Hvy    Lift  Push[/b]
[b]Max Weight: (x3/4)[/b]       24   25-49 50-75    75   375

[b]Age:[/b] ??
[b]Height:[/b] 3'8"
[b]Weight:[/b] 33lb
[b]Eyes:[/b] gray
[b]Hair:[/b] light brown
[b]Skin:[/b] pale (light gray)
Appearance:

Background: It had been a long year. A long year far from home. And a hard year. It seemed almost a lifetime ago that Flanadd of clan Falath had first ventured from his homeland in pursuit of a rogue halfling. The halfling went by the name of Rosco Hilltopple, but that was probably a simple alias. The worst part was the shame of it. The shame of a clan of Whisper Gnomes taken by a simple con and by a halfling. It was too much to bear. The clan's loss of a family heirloom was a disaster and disgrace, and they'd be the laughing stock of the families should word get out. Such was the shame that the deed was never spoken of again after the initial days.

It occurred during the celebrations for the matriach's 444th birthday - a momentous event. Many of the gnomes blamed themselves for the loss, citing that they should have seen it coming, or mentioned something they thought odd. But Rosco, or whatever his name really was, had been made welcome and had stayed for some time - it seems to make his plans and ingratiate himself; for he had, as Flanadd well knew, as he was one of many taken by the charismatic halfling.

As a young and impetuous gnome, Flanadd's blood boiled at the affront and the loss. Eventually he and his friend Skorlun Daergl swore an oath to each other to track down Rosco and see justice (and retribution) done.

'Twas a year ago that the friends set out with barely a word to anyone. And initially their hopes were high in returning to the clan as heroes. But as the weeks and months wore on, their morale subsided, and success looked less and less sure. Whoever Rosco was, he was elusive and left little sign of his passage - a glimpse by someone here, a victim there - just little things that a Whisper Gnome would recognise. And no sign of the heirloom either - so not even an option to steal it back or even buy it.

As time wore on, and each village and town began to look more and alike, funds ran out, and the friends were reduced to escalating their petty thievery to survive. But their luck ran out and a nasty encounter with the town guard left Skorlon dead and Flanadd with a badly wounded arm.

That was 2 weeks ago. The arm, now mostly healed thanks to a friendly priest, but a heart still heavy with the loss of his friend - particularly as he couldn't save him or even bury him without giving himself up (and he knew the penalty for that). Now Flanadd stands outside a bar, desperation increasing with no money, and no will to return home to an uncertain welcome. He licks his lips, wishing for the taste of a decent ale, and maybe a slice of warm bread, but more than anything else - a future![/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
Okay, after wracking my brains for a concept, I think I came up with something. My character would start out as a paladin of Wee Jas. He grew up in the slums of Cauldron and saw a lot of bad things (as one often does in the slums). It jaded him and made him somewhat bitter, but he always wanted to do something about it. It also gave him a practicality (and fascination) about death that more sheltered people lack. One day, while examining the bodies of some recently murdered people, a cleric of Wee Jas came upon him. The cleric took the young man under his wing and soon after the youth felt a calling. He trained to become a paladin of Wee Jas. His superiors in the church have told him, though, that his path will take a turn soon, though. Unbeknowst to him, he is to be trained in the arts of magic.

So, after a level or two of paladin, I would start taking wizard levels. Down the road, I might look at a level or two of Eldritch Knight. How does that sound?

Thanee

First Post
(If you want to go Eldritch Knight, you are way better off with Paladin/Sorcerer, BTW. Otherwise you will have too many important abilities.)

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads