Shackled City - Chapter I

kirinke

First Post
"DAMMIT!" Alinis curses as her arrow misses. Old Zeke would have my head at missing such an easy shot like that, she thought inanely as the skulk disappeared. Shouldering her bow, she draws out her dagger and sword and follows Raven, eyes wide and sharp.

Dhes

Explorer
Elyas stares at the shadows that swallowed the skulks.
“It seems that every thing we fight have some hidden tricks to escape where we can’t follow.”
“Bye the way, can some body in the abysses name tell me what those things were?’
“They looked human, but my eyes had trouble focusing on them.”

Turning to the locksmith,
“It seems we came to the right person, or were they here to complain about some work you did for them?"

Majin

First Post
Raven leaps after the disappearing skulk, nearly ramming her head into the wall as she finds the fiend's complete escape genuine.

Keygan mutters to himself under his breath for a few moments before looking up.

"I didn't want to help them I realy didn't! But they stole my familiar and told me they would return him if I made them skeleton keys for the town's locks, but they kept asking for more and more, always promising to return him, but their demands never stop!"[/color] he wails, holding his head in his hands, apparently on the verge of tears, the gnome lowers his head to stare sadly at the floor.

OoC: Manz - Info you shall have. Heres the write up from the Fiend Folio ;)

Once members of the underpriviledged caste of an ancient empire, the humans who would become skulks withdrew from the world through a magical ceremony that solidified their "untouchable" status. The ritual granted them natural camouflage, allowing the skulks to blend in perfectly with their surroundings.

Skulks stand 5 to 6 feet tall and are devoid of hair. They wear clothing only when forced to. It is difficult to determine, at first glance, whether a given skulk is male or female. A skulk's gray skin feels like soft leather, and it can change color at the creature's whim, from the most subdued browns to the most lurid reds and yellows. Sometimes a skulk assumes a "natural" human flesh tone and wears clothing to better blend in with human society. Their deep blue eyes lack pupils, and remain an identifying feature no matter what coloration a skulk assumes.

Many skulks are prone to outlandish acts of violence, and those skulks best able to prove their proficiency in the ways of silent murder generally lead skulk communities. Those few who somehow manage to resist their innate violent tendancies attempt to survive by haunting the outskirts of human encampments, scrounging food and supplies whenever possible. Hated by skulks and humans alike, the pathetic creatures usually die at the hands of a mob.

Manzanita

First Post
Raven

OOC: Thanks, Majin. I didn't even realize 'skulk' was an official 'monster.'

IC: Raven scowls and paces around the room suspiciously. "How did they come here? As mysteriously as that one left? Children are being victimized here. You must work with us to prevent that."

kirinke

First Post
Alinis scowls at the place where the skulks disappeared. "Strange creatures. I have never even heard of them," Alinis remarks and she turned to the gnome. "What other things did they ask of you?"

Her face softened. "I fear that they will never give you back your familar. And when they can no longer use you, they will kill both you and your familar. And quite likely as painfully as possible," she knelt down by the gnome. "Your only hope for survival is to trust us. We will do our best to help you and this city, but we need information. What do you know?" she asked gently.

hippocrachus

First Post
"What she says is true," Orpheus says, walking over to where the gnome is sitting to better address him.
"We'll get your familiar back," he adds in Gnome with a wink. "What is it exactly...?" he asks, more as an afterthought.

Majin

First Post
Keygan hesitates further at the proding of where the skulks came from.

"Those.. those creatures, they came from... from an old gnomish enclave deep beneath the city. Theres an entrance to it here, in my shop. I used to play down there when I was a child, but then an odd plague, we called 'The Vanishing' struck the inhabitants and it became abandoned. Most in the town have forgotten the place even exists after all these years. That is where they came from."

He shivers before continuing, "They were not the only ones that came. There were smaller ones, gnomish in appearance, sinister looking, with pallid skin, large noses, and black hooves for feet! They spoke a common language together I did not understand, but then made their demands in a gutteral twisting of my language. They wanted all the information about Cauldron I could give them. Once they found out about my being a locksmith, they took my familiar from me, my rat, Starbrow," he says, looking at Orpheus.

"They took him and commanded me to make them a skeleton key that would permit them access to every building in the city. They would not tell me for what, only that they would kill Starbrow if I did not obey, and once I did, they still did not return him, claiming that he would be returned to me when their plans were put into place, that I was a risk to them otherwise. They threatened to kill me as well if I said anything. Please! You must stop them, and rescue my familiar, please!"

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
Alinis considered what he said thoughtfully. "If you are a magicker of some sort, do you have something we could use to track your familar? Perhaps you could track him through the link you share, if we provide the protection?"

Remove ads