Shade Template from FRCS

According to the entry on it the Shade Template is a CR +2 to the characters class levels.

What would you consider its ECL be though? I am thinking 4 or maybe 5. The abiities listed are much more powerful than a deep Gnomes who are ECL +3. Also the template has no downside. In full sunlight the template merely grants no bonuses it doesnt have any negatives.

My character would fit perfectly with this template and it could become a long term research item for him but I think it will grant him way too much power at any level and shoot him well above the rest of the party. Especially since we focus on dungeon crawls so much.

Opinions?

Squire James

First Post
As the current Dragon magazine notes, CR bonuses are generally much lower than ECL ratings. +4 seems about right... about equal to half-dragons. Personally, I don't like using Shades as PC's for the same reason I don't like lycanthropes as PC's: they essentially have to have 2-3 character sheets!

That is about what I guessed it would be. Even if allowed I do not want to basically lose my next 5 levels of experience if I was to gain this ability.

Remove ads