• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E SHADOW OF THE VOID Race, Adjustments needed

animal chubs

First Post
Decided if I wanted to play as a Shadow I ought to just edit the one out of the book. It looks op and I know it needs adjustments but that's why i'm posting this. I also want to edit the description so that its a little more unique, same goes for the background and obvious Animate undead rip. Regardless, Check out the NightBlade class! Its a pretty sweet find.
[sblock]
SHADOWOF THE VOID

(WithDM Discretion)

Shadows are undead that resemble dark exaggerations of humanoid shadows. Dark Disposition. From the darkness, the shadow reaches out to feed on living creatures' vitality. They can consume any living creature, but they are especially drawn to creatures untainted by evil. A creature that lives a life of goodness and piety consigns its basest impulses and strongest temptations to the darkness where the shadows hunger.As a shadow drains its victim's strength and physical form, the victim's shadow darkens and begins to move of its own volition. In death, the creature's shadow breaks free, becoming a new undead shadow hungry for more life to consume. If a creature from which a shadow has been created somehow returns to life, its undead shadow senses the return. The shadow might seek its "parent" to vex or slay. Whether the shadow pursues its living counterpart, the creature that birthed the shadow no longer casts one until the monster is destroyed.

Sugessted Class "NightBlade"
http://www.ascension-games.com/blog...ws-5e-bringing-shadow-magic-to-dd-5th-edition

You must start with Shadow creature stat block but may roll for hitpoints.
Armor Class 12 Hit Points 16 (3d8 + 3) Speed 40ft.
STR6 (- 2) DEX 14 (+2) CON 13 (+1) INT 6 (- 2) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 8 (-1)

Skill Proficiencies: Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Languages:Can only speak, read, and write undercommon but can understand languages the host body had.
Equipment:Whatever the host body had.
Tool Proficiencies: Whatever the host body had.

Additional Race Adjustments:
Skills Stealth +4 (+6 in dim light or darkness)
Damage Vulnerabilities. radiant Damage
Resistances.acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non magical weapons
Damage Immunities. necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities. exhaustion, frightened , grappled, paralyzed,petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained Senses darkvision 60ft.
Undead Nature. A shadow doesn't require air, food, drink, or sleep.
Amorphous.The shadow can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
Sunlight Weakness. While in sunlight, the shadow has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.
Otherworldly Possessions. Any non-shadow items equip or picked up will cause 1 level of encumbrance
Nocturnal embrace. Instead of sleeping, you enter a sleep-like state. You need to remain in it for only 4 hours each day. You do not dream; instead, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.

Additional Race Actions:
Shadow Stealth. While in dim light or darkness, the shadow can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Shadow Equipment. You take possession of shadows of weapons, armor's, clothing or other items. The shadow item becomes magical but loses any abilities it had. This requires a minor action to equip and to unequip. Unequipping returns the shadow back to the item it originated from if its on the same plane,otherwise the shadow will disappear and return to its item after 1d20days. Any alterations such as writing, damage, or braking will magically appear on the items physical form and vise versa.
Shadow mimicry. At Level 4 you may cast Alterself as an action.
Great Strength Drain. Any Melee Weapon Attack: On hit deal weapons damage as necrotic damage. If the target is half your level rounded down, their Strength score is reduced by 1d4. The target dies if this reduces its Strength to 0. Otherwise, the reduction lasts until the target finishes a short or long rest. If a non-evil humanoid dies from this attack, a new shadow rises from the corpse 1d4 hours later.
Shadow Servitude. On each of your turns, you can use a Bonus Action to mentally Command any shadow creature you made with Great Strength Drain if the creature is within 60 feet of you (if you control multiple Shadow creatures, you can Command any or all of them at the same time, issuing the any Command to each one). You decide what action the Shadow creature will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general Command, such as to guard a particular chamber or corridor. If you issue no commands, the Shadow creature only defends itself against hostile creatures. These Shadow creatures will attempt to harm any non-evil humanoid if left with no commands for more than 1 hour. Once given an order, the creature continues to follow it until its task is complete.
The shadow creature is under your control for 24 hours, after which it stops obeying any Command you've given it. To maintain the control of the shadow creature for another 24 hours, while resting you may choose each Shadow creature that you can see within 60 feet o f you.Each creature must make a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. If it succeeds, you can’t use this feature on it again but the creature will remain friendly towards you.

Background

A New Beginning
What was the reason for your creation, and what changed to to allow you to become a shadow? You can work with your DM to determine the exact nature of your existence, or you can choose or roll on the table below to determine the reason behind your existence.

d8A New Beginning
1I was ripped away from my host during a ritual, and must find and consume them.
2I watched my host die as I came into creation.
3I found a way to detach myself from my host, then tracked them back to a village.
4I gained memory of my host's past life and feel a need to live on as them.
5I was granted life from an unknown deity.
6I was created somewhere in the Plane of Shadow for reasons I do no know.
7I don't remember why I was created but only wish to consume.
8I was created after another shadow consumed my host.

d8Personality Trait
1Ionly ally myself with creatures of darkness.
2Imuch prefer not being in plane sight.
3I'm overwhelmed when I come in contact with creatures untainted by evil,and must consume them.
4I like to cause mischief more than anything.
5Uses excessive force, overkill, saving nothing for later.
6At times, for forget that I can speak at all.

d6Ideal
1Independence.I am a free spirit--no one tells me what to do. (Chaotic)
2Freedom.Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them.(Chaotic)
3Mastery.I’m a predator, and the other ships on the sea are my prey. (Evil)
4Might.If I become strong, I can take what I want--what I deserve. (Evil)
5Power.Solitude and contemplation are paths toward mystical or magical power. (Evil)
6Knowledge.The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.(Neutral)

d6Bond
1Iam awash in the awareness of life's futility.
2I must find my host and consume them.
3Iwant to achieve the everlasting existence of undeath.
4Ienjoy killing. I adventure in part because I enjoy the spray of blood, the thrill of battle and the taking of life.
5My creator is a witch, reviled and cast-out by our village. I have always felt it my duty to protect her.
6I am compelled to make the weak suffer.

d6Flaw
1I feel the need to resemble furniture.
2I can't remember where I came from, and my memories are fading
3Now that I've returned to the world, I enjoy its delights a little too much.
4I am narrow minded, which causes me to fail in a lot of my endeavors.
5My need to feed is far to intense to control.
6I only speak in riddles and rhymes.
[/sblock]

Quartz

Hero
Isn't the Shadow of the Void a monster from the 3E Epic Level Handbook? It might make a great patron for a Warlock. Probably Fiend Pact or a reversed Undying Light.

animal chubs

First Post
Isn't the Shadow of the Void a monster from the 3E Epic Level Handbook? It might make a great patron for a Warlock. Probably Fiend Pact or a reversed Undying Light.

Yeah and I think I read that its actually a large creature. I might change the race name to somthing else but idk what.

animal chubs

First Post
Couldn't think of a better description and the description ended up as a journal entry... Here it is!

Journal Entry # 364
Arrived today in the Plane of Shadow's I've found some sort of strange shadow type creature here! "Shadow Master", the name I've given to them, much like a Shadow is an undead creature that resembles a humanoid shadow. In the darkeness they dwell, in the light they feed. Scrach that everything down here dwells in the darkness. Anyway their primary food source are creatures untainted by evil. Although it appears they still can consume any living creature. A Shadow Master is more of a variation than necessary a different creature. They look and act the same but have humanoid disposition, including intelligence. I've even spoken with one! Well, before it commanded the other shadows to take my life! Very impressive creatures, I hope to collect one in my next encounter. One additonal note, bring an air-tight jar and ... try not to kill it this time. - Nihlum

animal chubs

First Post
Progress Update

I seem to be doing fine, here's an update to this race. Any edits or suggestions are welcome.
[sblock]Shadow
Shadows are undead that resemble dark exaggerations of humanoid shadows. They have been found lurking in the Plane of Shadows as well as the Material Plane.
Dark Disposition
From the darkness, the shadow reaches out to feed on living creatures' vitality. They can consume any living creature, but they are especially drawn to creatures untainted by evil. A creature that lives a life of goodness and piety consigns its basest impulses and strongest temptations to the darkness where the shadows hunger. As a shadow drains its victim's strength and physical form, the victim's shadow darkens and begins to move of its own volition. In death, the creature's shadow breaks free, becoming a new undead shadow hungry for more life to consume. If a creature from which a shadow has been created somehow returns to life, its undead shadow senses the return. The shadow might seek its "parent" to vex or slay. Whether the shadow pursues its living counterpart, the creature that birthed the shadow no longer casts one until the monster is destroyed.
Shadow Names
When a shadow is created, it keeps some memories of its parents life. I'ts normally unheard of for a shadow to be named but those who can speak, have often named themself. Therefore, shadows can have all types of names. Whether the name is based on their parents race or what they had for lunch is up to you.
Shadow Traits
As a shadow, you have certain traits that you share with other shadows. As a shadow you gain access to powerful magic through your dark nature and use of "shadow stuff".
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score decreases by 2, your Dexterity score increases by 2, your Constitution score increases by 1, your Intelligence score decreases by 2, and your Charisma score decreases by 1.
Age. As beings of undeath, shadows do not age or mature.
Alignment. Shadows are created by dark entities, death of "parent" by shadow, or by other dark means therefore are most often evil themselves. Although they mimic some of their parents memories and behaviors, shadows tend towards chaotic due to their unnatural existance.
Size. Shadows are between 5 and 6 feet tall and is weightless. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet.
Darkvision. As a being forced to live in darkness, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dimlight within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Shadow Stealth. While in dim light or darkness, the shadow can take the Hide action as a bonus action.
Amorphous. You can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.
Otherworldly Possessions. Any non-shadow items equip or picked up will cause 1 level of encumbrance.
Shadow Equipment. You take possession of shadows of weapons, armor's, clothing or other items. The shadow item becomes magical but loses any abilities it had. This requires a minor action to equip and to unequip. Unequipping returns the shadow back to the item it originated from if its on the same plane. Otherwise the shadow will disappear and return to its item after 1d20 days. Any alterations such as writing, damage, or braking will magically appear on the items physical form and vise versa.
Damage Vulnerabilities. You are vulnerable to radiant damage.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Strength Drain (Recharge 5-6) or on Critical. Any Melee Weapon Attack: On hit deal weapons damage as necrotic damage. Their Strength score is reduced by 1d4. The target dies if this reduces its Strength to 0. Otherwise, the reduction lasts until the target finishes a short or long rest. If a non-evil humanoid dies from this attack, a new shadow rises from the corpse 1d4 hours later. Only Four shadows may be created through this ability at any one time; if another is created then the forth becomes inanimate.
Undead. You are considered undead for effects such as turnundead and many healing spells. You are immune to disease and the poisoned condition, and you have resistance to poison damage. You do not need to eat or breathe, but you can ingest food or drink if you wish. Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. You do not dream in this state;you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and events as normal.
Shadow. The shadow has immunity to necrotic damage, exhaustion and petrified conditions. You also have resistance to being grappled.
Languages. Most shadows can not speak but some have developed an uncertain method of speech. May choose to speak, read, and write undercommon and one language the parent had. [/sblock]

Remove ads