Shadow-Sickness Disease & Feat

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I'm also looking for a new name for this disease... it's just too... typical.

Shadow Sickness

This infection strikes those who have been injured in an area of supernatural darkness. Whenever a person suffers 20 or more damage while within an area of supernatural darkness (such as a darkness or deeper darkness spell effect), then the victim may be infected with the shadow sickness, requiring a Fortitude save as normal against the disease. If he succeeds, the disease has no effect — the darkness did not take hold within his body. If he fails, he takes damage after the incubation period. Once per day afterward, he must make a successful Fortitude saving throw to avoid repeated damage. Two successful saving throws in a row indicate that he has fought off the disease and recovers, taking no more damage.
These Fortitude saving throws can be rolled secretly so that the player doesn’t know whether the disease has taken hold.

As the shadow sickness deals damage to the victim, his body darkens visibly and his strength and vitality are sapped away. Victims suffer a feeling of extreme chill that cannot be warmed away – in extreme cases, some victims have been said to have burned themselves to death in the effort to warm themselves. The infected wound itself becomes blackened and septic, weeping a dark red-black fluid, but ceases to be painful in any way.

If the victim takes 5 or more Constitution damage from a bout of shadow sickness, the wound’s scar will never fade, and remains a black and horrid mark on the victim’s body.

If the victim takes 5 or more Constitution or Strength damage from a bout of shadow sickness, one point becomes a point of Constitution or Strength Drain (as appropriate) instead of damage.

Disease: Shadow Sickness
Infection DC: Injury 18
Incubation: 1 day
Damage: 1d4 Con & Str

Shadow-Struck
There is something about the darkness that stays within the shadow-struck, making them withdrawn and isolated emotionally, although frightening and unnerving to many.
Prerequisites: Character must have a permanent scar from a shadow sickness-infected wound.
Benefits: The shadow-struck gains a +1 bonus on all Will saves and a +2 competence bonus on all Intimidate checks.

---

The feat is a launching point for several prestige classes that I'm finalizing, btw.

Mark Causey

Explorer
This is some good stuff. It seems good for my version of the drow I'll be introducing in my Eberron games. A Rite of Adulthood, a detriment to fighting near them, and the way to create new drow on a different continent on Xen'drik. I love it, love it.

You could combine this together with the racial ability to create darkness and would have a feat tree with such branches as lesser versions of the Shadow Jump (Shadowdancer PrC) or the Shadow Blur and Shadow Disportation (Tefflamar Shadowlord PrC, Unapproachable East, Forgotten Realms) abilities. Also, look at the Shadow-Walker template in that book as well.

As to the name, I'd think that Death's Cloak might work. You get darker, right? So you'd look like you were in a shadow. You could become cold when not in shadows, and those that didn't survive were 'wrapped' in Death's Cloak.

Keep it up! I like it.

Remove ads