Shadowdark looks so good!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I have been happily playing in a Shadowdark campaign for a while now. My character just reached 4th level. Caution, combined with being willing to negotiate, means we are surviving. šŸ˜ We also have some interesting plotlines unfolding from our actions. Great fun!
I think part of the reason Shadowdark has been so deadly for everyone is that many people, including DMs, still have the bad habits of defaulting to combat, rather than rolling on the reaction table. (I know I don't always remember to.) Encounters jumping straight to combat is actually pretty rare, RAW.

Reynard

Legend
I think part of the reason Shadowdark has been so deadly for everyone is that many people, including DMs, still have the bad habits of defaulting to combat, rather than rolling on the reaction table. (I know I don't always remember to.) Encounters jumping straight to combat is actually pretty rare, RAW.
The reaction table not only saves lives, it insires far more interesting encounters.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The reaction table not only saves lives, it insires far more interesting encounters.

In my head, I'm reading this in Very Serious PSA voice:

savelives.jpg

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I mean, you're not wrong, but that's a thing people coming from 5E stumble over. People trying Shadowdark from the OSR have reaction tables practically tattooed on the backs of their eyelids.

Arilyn

Hero
Yes, reaction rolls really add to the game and got lost in 3e I'm thinking? I love that combat is scary, and to be avoided. And reaction rolls have led to some unusual allies and great roleplaying.

Remove ads