• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ShadowLight's Adventures in Hirst Arts

shadowlight

First Post
Saturday Night Fever

So by Saturday, I'd made 9 casts of each mold. After about 2 or 3 casts, you get pretty good at guessing when you should scrape, and how long you need to wait before you remove the pieces from the molds. I definitely recommend using a 4" putty knife (rather than a massive 12" knife like I used initially). Also, the wet water method is REALLY helping my pieces come out with noticably fewer bubbles.

Before I started any gluing, I built a square form from Legos (see the first picture below). This is basically a guide to help me keep all of my blocks straight and square while I glue them.

I picked out all the pieces for my first room (a 25' square room, so 5"x5") and laid them out against the square. Some of the pieces had bulbous bottoms (because I didn't do my first few scrapes very well), so I sanded them off to make the floor relatively even.

Once all the pieces were sanded I used Aleene's Tacky Glue (white glue in a gold bottle that you can find at any craft store for super cheap) to glue the pieces together:

gluing_01.jpg

Ahh, Taste the Rainbow!​

One thing I should mention is that I decided to add a half inch border around my room to build the walls on (they're all 1/2" thick). Bruce Hirst's Dungeon Tutorial says to build them right on the 1" squares, but I wanted a complete grid in the room rather than having only 1/2" rectangles next to the walls. Here's the finished floor:

gluing_02.jpg

5" x 5" Floor!​

I should mention that I glued on a sheet of tin foil so the floor pieces wouldn't stick to the table.

While the floor was drying, I started work on my 2"x2" modular rooms. These were a lot easier because they were smaller and because I'd built up my confidence a little :) Here they are:

modular_corner.jpg

Cornered!

modular_01.jpg

10' x 10' Pieces​

And here's the final shot of all my pieces:

montage_01.jpg

My Modular Dungeon is Coming Together​

Well, this is all a lot easier than I thought it would be! I ordered the molds on Sunday, and by the next Saturday, I'd made all the pieces above.

Here are a few random suggestions I'd make after building my first few pieces:
1) Use a square form made from Legos. It's SO easy to get everything square!
2) Build the piece completely before you do any gluing. There's always a piece or two you'll have to sand
3) Learn to use the wet water technique. Water + Jet Dry = Fewer Bubbles
4) Have a lot of Ibuprofen around! My back was killing me by Saturday night from hunching over the table. In fact, I ended up putting cinder blocks under the table to raise it up several inches. I took a break on Sunday and Monday, and my back's feeling a lot better:)

Next steps:
- Paint the dungeon!!
- Base the dungeon!!
- Order a few more molds to feed the growing addiction!!!!!

shadowlight

First Post
rowport said:
Thanks for sharing your experience with the casting, especially with the photos! I have wondered about the casting process- this is helpful.

Hurray! My hope in posting my experiences is that it will be helpful for someone. Mission accomplished!!! :lol:

rowport said:
I am also interested in the painting process for cast pieces, so photos step-by-step on that would be cool, too!

Painting is up next. I plan on doing some experiments tomorrow night and if that works out, I may paint the rest of my pieces. There will definitely be pictures involved!

shadowlight

First Post
OK, I just went a little psycho... I got my bonus from work today so to celebrate, I just ordered 5 new molds:

71 Fieldstone Accessory Mold
72 4" Circular Fieldstone Mold
93 Egyptian Tower Mold
95 Egyptian basic block mold
201 Floor Tiles Various Sizes

Did I mention the addiction aspect of all this? :)

Very cool thread. I've looked at these molds the past two years at GenCon, but haven't been able to bring myself to buy any. Seeing how easy you make it look makes it much more likely that I'll be picking a few of them up this year.

shadowlight

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Very cool thread. I've looked at these molds the past two years at GenCon, but haven't been able to bring myself to buy any. Seeing how easy you make it look makes it much more likely that I'll be picking a few of them up this year.
Cool. I've never been to GenCon, but my wife and I are going this year. I'm stoked to see what the Hirst Arts booth looks like!! :)

shadowlight

First Post
shadowlight said:
And here's the final shot of all my pieces:

montage_01.jpg

My Modular Dungeon is Coming Together​
One thing I should mention is that I used 2 full tubes of the Permastone to make the modular dungeon pieces shown here. There are some pieces I haven't used (the arches, and skulls, etc.), but I'm pretty much out of wall pieces. (except for 3" wall pieces, I have like 18 of those and I haven't been able to use any yet due to their size).

My point is that I'm going through plaster a lot faster than I expected!

shadowlight

First Post
Plasters

I've been checking out prices on different plasters. Bruce Hirst recommends dental plaster for molds because it is so strong. In fact, he seems to use Excalibur almost exclusively. However, people seem to complain that it's too expensive.

Below is a little table I've compiled to look at the price per pound of the various plasters:

Plaster_Table.gif

So, yes, the dental plasters (Excalibur and Merlin's Magic on the table) are more expensive initially, but the price per pound is much less than Permastone. But consider that for the molds I've done so far (2 molds with 9 casts each) have used 3.5 lbs of Permastone - in one week!

At that rate, it will be much cheaper to go with the dental plaster (which is stronger and apparently easier to cast), and a 50 lb box should last me 3-4 months.

If you can't afford $55 all at once, the Durham's Rock Hard Watter Putty seems like a good alternative. My scandalously beautiful wife picked me up 2 4/lb cans of the stuff from Lowe's yesterday, so the next time I cast (either tonight or tomorrow night) I'll try it out and post the results of how it works.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads