Shadows of the Demon Lord and the Weird Wizard

Aldarc

Legend
Maybe it would be helpful to have a General Discussion thread for Robert Schwalb's works: Shadow of the Demon Lord, PunkApocalyptic, and the Shadow of the Weird Wizard.

In today's news: Weird Tales: Let's Make a Character - wherein Schwalb writes-up a sample character from his upcoming Shadow of the Weird Wizard product line.

It looks like that there will be 20 Ancestries at the outset! Plus, it looks like racial/ancestry modifiers are going the way of the dodo. And skills and background are likely receiving an update from SotDL. There are a few other interesting changes like damage dice too.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm definitely most curious about the damage dice. SotDL was pretty D&D like in how it handled attacks, basing the damage on the weapon used. I think the damage dice points towards weapons being more freeform, although we'll have to see.

I also like the fact that skills acts as permission gates, rather than modifiers. I run 5E pretty similarly, so I appreciate the loss of the unnecessary (to me) complexity.

Aldarc

Legend
I'm curious about what ancestries and magical traditions will be included in this initial release as I am tentatively eyeing SotWW for a possible homebrew setting inspired by the likes of Dawnforge, Diamond Throne, and ancient Arkhosia/Bael Turath from the Nentir Vale setting.

The modular way that SotDL approaches magical traditions as thematic clusters of spells works well for designing schools of magic around them. So for example, a War Academy of Wizards may initially teach their students from the Arcana, Battle, Destruction, Fire, and Protection traditions of spells, while the Sorcerers of the Stone may teach Alchemy, Alteration, Metal, and Transformation. And the sort of ancestries that are included may shape what I end up using for my homebrew as well.

Mezuka

Hero
I started reading my copy of the revised version of SotDL this week. Liked it so much I created 4 characters to try the system solo before I pitch it to my players. They start level 0 with two professions.

I have a human male farmer who became a guard, a human female who knows medicine and branched out into magic, a dwarf male who was a miner before becoming a prospector. Lastly a goblin male laborer who became a burgler.

I'll be using Dead by Dawn as a starting adventure.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Any news about the Weird Wizard? I know its probably not a good time to publish book, but I cant wait to see what Schwalb comes up with!

Aldarc

Legend
Any news about the Weird Wizard? I know its probably not a good time to publish book, but I cant wait to see what Schwalb comes up with!
It's making steady progress. I believe I heard in passing that Schwalb slowed down a bit last year due to some personal issues, which may have been tied to Covid. Not sure. However, testing is still proceeding and polishing up.

Mezuka

Hero
Another thing I noticed, and like, is the size of the combat grid. It's 1 yard per square. I really like that scale. 3 models can stand side by side in a 10' wide corridor.

Isn't that like old AD&D? 3 squares per 10'.

Mezuka

Hero
First game tonight. Went very well. Players are really impressed by the path system and how its flexibility allowed them to create the character they wanted.

On my side of the screen, I was too soft on them. My encounters were too easy. I'll ramp up the difficulty next time we play.

ruemere

Adventurer
First game tonight. Went very well. Players are really impressed by the path system and how its flexibility allowed them to create the character they wanted.

On my side of the screen, I was too soft on them. My encounters were too easy. I'll ramp up the difficulty next time we play.
Nah, I don't think you need to ramp up the difficulty - note that the healing abilities of a starting party are pretty abysmal, all you need to do is to add an encounter. Or two.

Last edited:

Mezuka

Hero
Nah, I don't think you need to ramp up the difficulty - note that the healing abilities of starting party are pretty abysmal, all you need to do is to add an encounter. Or two.
Good advice, but we translated the PCs from Fantasy AGE. They are level 4. I didn't want to start a new campaign. My campaign is already grim dark. That is why I made the change to SotDL. Fantasy AGE is too action hero for my taste.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases