Shamus does AoO

Nadaka

First Post
AoO are easy as pie, and the author gets them wrong.

The only really complex AoO stuff occures when you have two combatants with combat reflexes that use thier AoO on actions that also provoke AoO.

Crothian

First Post
Just more proof that D&D is not the game for everyone. Some people just will never be able to understand it and that's okay.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
This is a thread about a comic some guy wrote and put on his website.

The comic is satrical and about a game (D&D) where people pretend to be elves and dwarves or whatever. The comic uses images from a fantasy film (LOTR) that is based on a fantasy book (LOTR). The comic is supposed to be funny, but obviously some people wont however find it funny. D&D rules are complicated to some people, others find them childs play to understand.

How is any of this controversial? How has this generated a two page thread already?

hexgrid

Explorer
I don't understand why anyone would be offended by the comic...

As others have pointed out, the specifics of the conversation aren't the point. It could have used any number of mechanics from any number of systems to make the same joke.

And come on- it's not exactly news that some people have trouble implementing AoO in their games. My group definitely had trouble with them for much of our first 3e campaign.

greywulf said:
The player on the other hand, probably doesn't understand it because it's such an obtuse, badly written piece of rules tripe. This from me, a gamer with almost 30 years' experience. I know bad rules when I see them, and AoO is one of the worst.

Wow. You sure you've been playing for 30 years, and can't get AoOs?

Were 20 of those years spent playing games with the rules complexity of Candyland? :D

[EDIT: I see, later on, that you qualified that you just don't like them, rather than don't get them. Still, though ... Strange thing to get all bent out of shape on.]

AoOs just aren't that complicated, and can be boiled down to three / four questions.

1a. Did you move away from someone wielding something spikey?; or
1b. Did you move up to someone A) really big, wielding something spikey, or B) with a long pokey stick?
2. Did you do so carefully?

If the answers to the above are "Yes" and "No," respectively, you've provoked an AoO.

3. Did you do something stupid while being menaced by someone wielding something spikey?

If the answer to the above is "Yes," then you've provoked an AoO.

Done!

Last edited:

atom crash

First Post
3. Did you do something stupid while being menaced by someone wielding something spikey?

I disagree with the assumption that attacks of opportunity are punishment for "doing something stupid." I see that sentiment bandied around way too often. Rather, attacks of opportunity are a trade-off for performing a risky maneuver in dangerous territory. That takes out the negative connotation that my character is an idiot if he allows someone an AoO.

The rogue isn't a fool if he drinks a potion while in a threatened area. He just needs healing really badly and can't move to another square. (Or he just likes living on the edge and has a pretty decent AC).

That fighter isn't brain-dead if he dashes past the hulking ogre to get to the shaman. He's just willing to take a hit to shut down the enemy spellcaster.

So I propose your question #3 above read as follows:
3. Did you do something risky while being menaced by someone wielding something spikey?

BryonD

Hero
greywulf said:
This from me, a gamer with almost 30 years' experience. I know bad rules when I see them, and AoO is one of the worst.
"one of the worst"???? :confused:

You are either blowing some really wild smoke or you've gamed in VERY small box.

Remove ads