Shamus does AoO

igavskoga

First Post

Its an AoO, its not rocket science. It barely even qualifies as simple arithmetic.

Everybody gets one unless you specifically go out of your way to get more via a feat. They generally happen in situations where you leave a pretty wide opening by fairly obviously letting down your guard - IE turning and walking away from somebody swinging an axe at you (otherwise known as normal movement out of a threatened square).

You have to be threatening something to use one. Grapplers threaten no squares. Ranged weapons threaten no squares.

It really is fairly elementary.

As a player its my responsibility to call for an AoO if I get one, and to keep track of whether or not I've used my SINGLE (or in the rare case multiple) AoO's for a single round. If I don't remember if I've used it or not in the passed 3-5 minutes, oh noes, I just don't get one.

As a DM it is my responsibility to keep track of the AoO's my NPC's may get. If I don't remember to use an AoO trigger, or purposefully don't, oh well.

If the player or the DM forget for a round, or even for an entire combat its not the end of the world. Its not even encounter breaking. It just is - shrug and move on.

Honestly, what's the big deal?

You hates AoOs because the LotR chars suck at simple gaming?

I found that line more amusing than that entire strip btw.

greywulf

First Post
igavskoga, repeating the rules doesn't make them any better. I understand them, I just don't like them, and neither does my gaming group. We prefer to use common sense to dictate out-of-turn snapshots and the like without all the what-works-with-what idiocy that surrounds AoO.

It's no big deal, and our games get along just fine without them, and all the rules frippery that goes with them.

Each to their own, i guess.

As you say, it's no big deal :)

Aaron L

Hero
Unfortunately the common sense argument doensn't really work here, because the rules dictating when you get an AoO are common sense.

When you do something to distract to yourself from the person standing next to you trying to whack you, you provoke an AoO. Drink a potion? Yep, AoO. Cast a spell? Yup. Read a book? Yep. Tie your shoes? Yup. Shoot a bow? Yep. Draw your sword? Nope!

I've never read that comic before, and if thats an example of the humor, well, lets just say I'll stick to watching Venture Brothers and NewsRadio for my comedy.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Aaron L said:
I've never read that comic before, and if thats an example of the humor, well, lets just say I'll stick to watching Venture Brothers and NewsRadio for my comedy.

Personally, I like the comic and if I were you, I wouldn't base the entire comic on this single page.

Ant

First Post
As a (figurative) lover of AoOs I thought the comic was great. Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?

greywulf said:
... so darned broken ... obtuse, badly written ... tripe ... bad rules ... one of the worst.
Wow, that's a lot of hate for some rules there, greywulf. While I don't have quite as many years gaming experience as you have I have been around the traps a bit and, well, I've already expressed my feelings for AoOs. One day I'd be curious to hear why you loathe them so vehemently. Maybe over a beer or two. :)

Psion

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Utterly stupid strip.

There is nothing even remotely difficult about AoOs in that situation.

agree.gif

Remove ads