log in or register to remove this ad

 

Shards of the Silve Flame -- IC Thread

drothgery

First Post
Lord Alistair had sent two things by sending stone. A request that each of you meet him at his manor, today, and travel vouchers to be sure you would be there in time, whether by ship, horse, lightning rail, or some combination of the three. And the nobleman and theocrat had been friend and patron to you, enough that even a vague message was enough that you had quickly put your affairs in order and come.

There were very few safe ports between Silvercliff Castle and Thaliost, but House Indari's manor overlooked the rare break in the cliffs facing Scions Sound, with Karrnath on the other side. The village nearby was the only settlement larger than a one-family farm between the two points; even Lord Alistair was not sure how his ancestors had managed to build an elegant Flamist manor there.

And that manor was where you found yourselves. Or rather, in the library inside that manor. Clearly the room had been intended as a ballroom or some other large, formal purpose; the bookshelves were by far the newest things in the room, including most of the books. And the table you sat around was off in a corner, not a centerpiece of the room. It was where the servants had directed you, though; the library was where Lord Alistair talked about serious things.

"I'm sure he will be here soon," Kahlia said. She was Lord Alistair's daughter, and ought to know.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Saalin nods at those seated, having a passing acquantaince with them. He smiles a small smile at Kahlia's remarks, his focus primarly on scanning the room. He seems to be trying to identify the books on the shelves the best he can while seated. A raven's head peeks out from the long sleeves of his robes for a moment, glares balefuly around, and then disapears again.

Peering intently at a rather tall tome across the room, Saalin asks in a somewhat reedy voice, "So, Oswin, how is Berrik and your training? Been a long time absent from Thaliost before I left."
 

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Oswin smile and replies in an friendly tone,

"A long time indeed...since we resolved the incident with the Karrnathi spies that set up the vampire cult I beleive. Well, Berrik has moved on to training other young gifted knights of the Flame, sending me on various missions in the interim. That's how I know Lord Allistair. He aided me on Lord Berrik's request when I was tracking some agents of a posessing fiend across Thrane and even into Aundair. I have since undertaken other missions for him."

Oswin's eyes widen as he notices Hariel.

"That's where I know you...we trained together briefly in Flamekeep years ago...before I was taken off to the Paladinhood. Excellent! Working together again. How have you been...Hariel? Excuse me Saalin, i didn't mean to be rude. Just trying to place a familiar face."
 

Anax

First Post
Looking up from the book she had been browsing, the slight woman stared for a moment at Oswin. “Indeed, it’s good to see you again, Oswin.”

“Was it to the paladins they sent you, then? I was never sure but that they might have given you transportation on general principles. But I suppose the knights martial are the next best thing.” She grinned as she continued. “But for truth, you look well. And I suppose it’s best that neither of us took to the life we were born to.”

Hariel stood up from the table, taking her book in hand. “And you, sir?” she said, addressing Saalin as she replaced the book on one of the high-piled shelves, “I am certain I have seen you here before, but I do not believe we have been introduced.” She smiled at him, reflexively touching her hand to the hilt of the long, slender sword belted at her waist. “I do perceive, however, that we have a common interest in the art of defense.”
 
Last edited:

SelcSilverhand

First Post
What an interesting mix of sapients Lord Reverend Alistair has assembled, Drue thinks to himself. This one here, the Aundarian who defected during the war. Saalin, or something like that. A lot of rumors about that one, likely none of them are true though. The others are no less colorful. That one, honored for service to the city of Flamekeep. And over here, a distinguished record serving the church. So what am I doing here? He wonders to himself.

Spotting someone he is more familiar with, he gives a nod to Brother Dain.

An excellent historian that one. His objective records concerning both sides of the war shed light the truth behind rumors of atrocities and what faction committed them. Not only that, he even took part in several fights showing his courage and virtue by defending the helpless. It would be good to have that one along for whatever we are tasked with.
 

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
"Hmm?" Saalin turns his head towards Hariel. Noticing her weapon, his hand absently moves to the rapier at his side. This disturbs the raven in his sleeve who promply flies about awkwardly, sets on the elf's shoulder, and squacks unhappily in the general direction of the room.

"Ah, yes. Old Knight's training. More of a last-line of defense when the blessing of the Flame are exhausted." He nods again at the table, his hand doing a small twirl as part of a very small seated bow. "Saalin Corlieus, Adept in the Fourth Circle of Silver Pyromancers, Order of the Pure." He squints for a moment at the others. "You are---or were---afiliated with the guards of Flamekeep by your uniform. I already know Oswin. As for you two"---he guestures at the gnome and the other human---"I recognize you from before, but names escape me at the moment. I assume reintroductions are not too much of an indulgence for and old solider?"
 

wabinder

First Post
Brother Dain keeps to himself for the most part, perusing through the books contained in the library. Every once in a while he pulls one down from a shelf and leafs through it for a few minutes, before carefully putting it back in its place. A couple of times he takes a pen and some parchment out of his robes and jots down a few notes after looking at a particular book.

He nods in greeting to everyone else in the room, giving a somewhat larger nod of recognition to Drue, whom he is more familiar with than the others. Finally, Dain puts his notes away and addresses everyone else. "I suppose greetings are in order, since I too only recognize most of you by face and not by name. I am Dain. Brother Dain, in case you could not already tell from my clothing. I serve at a monastery not far from here. Lord Alistair and I became aquainted as a result of some research I was conducting during the War, and I have helped him with a number of ventures since then."

Dain then sits back down at the table, waiting expectantly for someone else to continue with the introductions...
 

drothgery

First Post
Kahlia looked over to the maid who had appeared with a selection of food and drinks that seemed to have something that suited everyone's taste.

"Ava, could you see what's keeping father?" Kahlia asked her. "He said he would only be a few minutes behind me."
 

drothgery

First Post
About half a minute after Ava (the servant who brought the food) left, with instructions from Kahlia to find her father, a scream broke the relative silence of the manor house.

"That must have been Ava. Father was in his lab..." She said, but she was already breaking into a run out the door.
 

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Saalin bursts from his seat, quickly reaching into his sleeve to pull out a thin, smoky-orange wand. Glancing quickly around the room to ensure nothing is amiss here, he would quickly follow Kahlia towards the disturbance.
 

Anax

First Post
Hariel quickly takes note of the reactions of everyone in the room, and loosens her blade in its sheath as she follows Kahlia out the door.
 


wabinder

First Post
Dain leaps to his feet at the first sound of the scream, and is side by side with Kahlia as she runs out the door. He is unarmed, but he looks ready for just about anything.
 

drothgery

First Post
(Drue: I'm going to assume you follow everyone else; normally I'd wait at least a full day for PC actions, but there's not much real choice here...)

Kahlia casually pulls a rapier off the wall without slowing down as Brother Dain runs by her (he's got a higher movement rate, and knows where Lord Alistair's lab is), everyone sprinting down a flight of stairs, opening the door to the lab.

Tables have been knocked over inside. Ava lies bleeding just to one side of the door. Lord Alistair stands in a far corner, as if determined to fight, though he showed signs of injury. And what he intended to fight stood in the center of the room.

Three creatures, who appeared to be some sort of tiger-men were there, two holding shields and swords who looked bigger and stronger than the other. All were covered in what appeared to be the alchemical remains of tanglefoot bags, one of the larger creatures looking on the verge of breaking his restraints, and the other already having done so. No sound had come from the struggle; clearly a silence spell had been cast.

Initiative:
Saalin 22
Drue 21
Oswin 18 (Oswin goes before Lord Alistair due to higher Dex)
Alistair 18
Hariel 13 (Hariel goes before Dain due to higher Dex)
Dain 13
Monsters 12
Kahlia 2

(This is a 30' x 20' room; there are several overturned tables in the center area of the room, with lab equipment against one wall, and a rack of weapons on a second.)
 

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Drue's eyes open wide at the sight of the bizarre forms before him. He opens his mouth and calls out a rallying song to inspire his comrades to battle. Seeing the wounded woman near the door, he moves to protect her. As he moves he pulls his Sap from his belt and swings it back and forth to settle the iron pellets inside.




OOC: Sorry 'bout the delay, I had to prep the last two days to DM a 12 hour game Saturday. Drue will use his Bardic Knowledge +9 to try to identify the creatures, then Inspire Courage +2 for all allies that can hear him, and then move to cover Ava drawing his sap as part of his move action.
 

drothgery

First Post
Drue:
[sblock]
For a non-Thrane, a 17 on the Bardic Knowledge check would still leave you confused as to what you're facing. However, the Church of the Silver Flame and the Rakshasa cabal known as the Lords of Dust have been bitter enemies for centuries, and these three are clearly rakshasas.
[/sblock]
 

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Saalin will take a defensive position along the wall, hopefully with cover. Drawing a ivory colored wand from his other sleeve, he will attempt to use it on the bleeding servant to heal her wounds.

[SBLOCK=OCC]The wand is his wand of cure light wounds. Assuming he can draw it and move (as if it were a weapon since he has better than a +1 BAB), he would do so to get cover. If he cannot, he will move 5' towards the best cover and then use the wand. Note, he would still have the wand of scorching ray in his other hand.[/SBLOCK]
 

wabinder

First Post
Rather uncharacteristically, it takes Dain a moment to get over his confusion and realize that this is clearly the beginning of a battle. His eyes settle on the injured Ava, causing realization to dawn. His eyes harden and his fists close as he focuses on the three monsters, clearly upset at the injury caused to an innocent and harmless woman.

OOC: Being indoors and a guest of Alistair, Dain would have left his Quarterstaff in his rooms. He will fight unarmed, using his hands and feet as the situation calls it. He will deal lethal damage to begin with, but he will switch to nonlethal damage with the weakest appearing monster, in an attempt to leave one alive for questioning.
 


ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Oswin moves foward to the tiger-creature who has already freed himself and in one swift motion, draws his blade as he strides foward, and strikes at the enemy threatening Lord Allistair with a devestating and well-placed two-handed slash.




OOC: Oswin is in his full armor, however, it is glamered to look like nice high-class dinner-party clothes. He appears to be a half-elf, his most common appearence. He doesn't have his shield or pack, but he does keep his sword on him at all times.
 
Last edited:

Presents for Goblins

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top