Shards of the Silve Flame -- IC Thread

Anax

First Post
Seeing the state of Ava, Hariel feels no need to hold back as she draws her blade and leaps into the room. She tumbles into the fray and attempts to take up a flanking position as she thrusts at one of the foul beasts.

Note: Hariel is equipped with her thinblade and wearing her chain vest, but has left her pack and other equipment in her room--including her buckler. As a result, she loses the +2 shield bonus to AC and drops to an AC of 20 base, 16 flat, 15 touch.

drothgery

First Post
Saalin draged Ava to a spot behind an overturned table, using his wand of Cure Light Wounds to revive the servant, her wounds closing in an instant.

Drue's song filled the half of the room not engulfed in a Silence spell, as his mind worked to comprehend what they were truly up against. This wan't good.

Oswin stepped into the room to face the free creature, but he didn't come close to hitting it.

Lord Alistair pulled a small rod from a pouch on his belt, and spoke with pure conviction at his attackers. "We are servants of the Silver Flame, fiend. Sworn to fight evil in alll of its forms. The Voice of the Flame is the voice of Justice." He said, and the two armed creatures recoilled from his voice, the unbound one visibly wounded by the catechism that Alistair spoke. (used a metamagic rod on a Castigate spell; one made his SR check, one made his save, one got the full blast)

Hariel stepped in, joining Oswin in bracketing the free creature, and unlike the paladin, she was successful. Indeed, the tiger-humanoid seemed shocked that her blade parted his defenses, and added another deep wound to the creature. Even so, that did not stop it from avoiding Dain's fists.

Not surprisingly, the creature focused on Hariel, but perhaps its injuries slowed it as she stepped out of the way of two slashes from its bastard sword -- and a bite. And then his fellows broke free.

"You must have a weapon with a point and infused with the power of Good to harm them easily." Kahlia said. "The unarmed rakshasa is certainly a sorcerer." (She is using the Dark Knowledge (tactics) ability of the Archivist class here, to give all of you a +2 unnamed bonus to hit rakshasas for the next minute; this stacks with Drue's Inspire Courage.)

(OOC: Hariel and Saalin have good-aligned piercing weapons on them. I think that's it.)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Saalin will drop his wand of cure light (which, in hindsight, should be tethered to his robes) while drawing his raiper (move action); he will then cast shield for +4 AC. All of this is behind the cover of the table.

Anax

First Post
Hariel looks around for the most effective way to attack the sorcerer:

If she is very close, she nimbly disengages with her current opponent and adjusts position to make a devastating attack on the sorcerer.

Otherwise, if she can see any sort of higher ground to fight from near the sorcerer, she seizes on that opportunity, tumbling and leaping across the room to get the drop on the Rakshasa. If she doesn’t notice any silence effect along the way, she readies an action to attack the fiend if it tries to cast a spell. But if she does notice a silence effect, she immediately attacks, following Kahlia’s advice and avoiding any wasted slashing motion with her blade.

If there’s no higher ground available, Hariel considers charging the creature in an attempt to startle it as much as possible. She doesn’t neglect her defenses, however, and moves her blade nimbly from side to side to fend off any incoming blows.

If there is no other choice, Hariel moves towards the creature normally and acts as she would in the case of higher ground, albeit without the tactical advantage.

[sblock=Mechanics]Case 0: Five foot step, full attack. Not likely to be possible, but just in case.

Case 1: Find something, balance on it, acquire +1 bonus from high ground, profit! With Hariel’s high Balance skill modifier, the range of available surfaces may even leaping nimbly onto the side or support of an overturned table, as long as it’s reasonably stable. If necessary, although I don’t expect it, Hariel will use an action point to avoid mortal embarrassment. After that, either attack or ready an attack against spellcasting.

Case 2: Charge, put two points into Combat Expertise, with a net result of +2 damage and no penalties. Hariel isn’t even close to being able to do an Acrobatic Charge, so any obstacles or difficult terrain in her path will prevent this choice, as would being too close to the caster.

Case 3: Simple movement followed by either an attack or readying an attack against spellcasting. Edit: Er, where simple movement includes tumbling at any point it’s appropriate.

And, please let me know if this is too detailed. I just don’t see Hariel fighting without sizing up the situation. Probably I’ll have a better idea of one specific action after another round, when the overall situation is more clear.[/SBLOCK]

drothgery

First Post
Bad ASCII art map:

Code:
        North    

------
       !AR  
       !K #S!
       !  D#!
       ! H1O!
      *!#23#!*
      *!  # !*

1 space = 5' square

A - Lord Alistair
D - Brother Dain
H - Hariel
K - Kahlia
O - Oswin
R - Drue
S - Saalin
# - Overturned table
* - Border of silenced area
1 - First rakshasa warrior
2 - Second rakshasa warrior
3 - Rakshasa sorcerer

The west wall is actually a built-in lab bench; there are vials of
magical and alchemical fluids along the bench, as well as notebooks.
There is a weapon rack on the south wall.

Ava is in Saalin's square.

Last edited:

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Drue, seeing that Lord Alistair is wounded, draws his wand of cure light wounds from his bag and activates it. As he does so, he asks him what they should do. "Lord Alistair, how should we combat these Rakshasa?"

OOC: Heal Alistair 1d8+1

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Drue:
[sblock]
You might want to revise your action, given the map above. It seems likely that I posted it while you were writing your post.
[/sblock]

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Oswin, picking up the rapier thrown to him by Saalin, drops his own sword and slowly works around the warrior-tiger, moving into position to take a single, swift stab at the sorcerer. He is still slowly working around the sorcerer.

OOC: Pick up the Rapier thrown to me and take a 5ft. step south. Attack the Rakshasa Sorcerer with the rapier. Next round I will take another 5 ft. step to move into flanking position and take a full atack

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Actually, now that I think of it (and see the diagram), I think it would be a better idea for Saalin to drop his wand and draw the rapier (as before), but toss his rapier to Oswin's square. Since he goes first, this should give Oz a change to retreive the weapon. This action would be instead of casting shield.

[SBLOCK=Mechanics]It is AC 10 to hit a square, IIRC correctly.[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads