Shards of the Silve Flame -- IC Thread

drothgery

First Post
Although she regretted being unable to help, Ava was a maid and sometime cook, not a warrior. "I will try to reach the Lord's guardsmen." She whisperred Saalin before darting out the door at a full run.

Saalin nodded, then tossed his rapier, made from the flametouched iron that caried the good of Silver Flame within it, to the feet of Oswin. His weapons were not swords -- not unless things got truly desperate -- and the paladin's bastard sword would do little good against what he faced.

A cursory glance showed the cuts on Lord Alistair's person were shallow, but Drue cured them anyway as he asked his question.

Oswin picked up Saalin's blade and stepped into the space between an overturned table and the rakshasa sorcerer. It made his lunge ackward, but he still managed a prick on the monster's fur.

"The sorcerer may try to attack our minds. Be ready for it." Alistair said. Dark knowledge (puissance) to give a +3 bonus to saves against the creatures' attacks. And they are after me.

Hariel's elven blade flashed twice, and two more times blood flowed from the sorcerer.

Dain brought a flurry of fists against the wounded rakshasa warrior, hoping to draw it away from Hariel. But even though there was a very satisfying thud when one of his punches connected with the fiend, it seemed to have no effect. (5 points of damage was not sufficient to get through the damage reduction)

In fact, the warrior who she had wounded before seemed well intent on regaining Hariel's attention. And by taking a slash through her leg with his sword and biting her shoulder, he might well have done it. (13 points of damage)

The other warrior seemed intent on Lord Alistair, but neither Hariel nor Dain nor Kahlia were able to take advantage of the opponenigs presented by his movement. Suprisingly, though, the middle-aged theocrat was able to stay out of its grasp.

And then the sorcerer stepped out of the silenced area, following behind his companion, and shot a black ray from his hands at Hariel.

He spoke as he attacked.
(read if you speak infernal)
[sblock]
You will come with us, Lord Reverened. The only question is how many of your friends and family will die before you do.
[/sblock]

She felt the energy draining out of her as it. (ray of exhaustion; she made her save, and so is fatigued)

"Don't listen to it, father!" Kahlia shouted, clearly understanding the vile language that the monster spoke. But the handful of spells Kahlia had prepared were of little use against a rakshasa, and while the rapier she carried was finely made and flametouched iron, she was no swordsman. The sorcerer had only contempt in its eyes as it avoided her blade.

wabinder

First Post
The blood drains from Dain's face as he realizes that his punches are not doing any worthwhile damage. He gets even more worried when the second warrior manages to get past everyone and face Alistair without any trouble at all. Fearing that Lord Alistair will not last long against such an opponent, Dain turns, leaps after the warrior facing him (Alistair), and attempts to grapple him to the ground using his Improved Grapple feat.

Anax

First Post
Revised: Hariel curses her poor judgement of the area of the silence effect, and eyes the sorcerer warily. She quickly adjusts her position and strikes at the sorcerer twice again as it's distracted by Kahlia on the other side.

[sblock=Details]
Super simple today, a full attack sneak attacking from flanking. The only special thing is: use an action point if it looks like it will help the second attack. Maybe if Hariel lands a full sneak attack for 2x 1d8+5+2d6 it will pay attention to her.

(Wait, is that desirable? Oh, well. :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Revised Bad ASCII art map:

Code:
        North    

------
       !AR  
       !K2#S!
       !31D#!
       ! H  !
      *!#  O!*
      *!  # !*

1 space = 5' square

A - Lord Alistair
D - Brother Dain
H - Hariel
K - Kahlia
O - Oswin
R - Drue
S - Saalin
# - Overturned table
* - Border of silenced area
1 - First rakshasa warrior
2 - Second rakshasa warrior
3 - Rakshasa sorcerer

The west wall is actually a built-in lab bench; there are vials of
magical and alchemical fluids along the bench, as well as notebooks.
There is a weapon rack on the south wall.

Oswin's half-on top of an overturned table.

The warrior sucked out the AoOs, because none of you have Combat Reflexes.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"Lord Alistair, you must retreat to safety!" Drue says as the Rakshasa warrior approaches. Drue puts away his wand of cure light wounds and begins casting a spell that he hopes will draw the fiends attention.

OOC:
[SBLOCK]
Casting Defensively: 19
Drue will cast "Mindless Rage" from Complete Adventurer pg. 155 on the Rakshasa. Will save DC16.
If it has spell resistance use an Action point for me.
[/SBLOCK]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Gritting his teeth, Saalin's free hand weaves a complex gesture as he begins a chant. At the culmination, he peers over the table he uses for cover and shouts "Burn, enemies of the Flame!" Two smoky rays intertwine each other and split, each going for a separate enemy warrior.

[SBLOCK=Mechanics]I cast scorching ray, and thus benefits from CL 7 check again SR and the augmented saving through from Spell Focus; each is a ranged-touch attack. If his natural bonus to Knoweldge (the planes) [I'm assuming that check since they're outsiders; not sure if (arcana) or (religion) would be applicable] would let him suspect that he would need an extra umph to penetrate their SR, I'd spend the action point.[/SBLOCK]

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Oswin runs up behind the sorcerer, striking him in the back with a savage two-handed Rapier thrust.
[sblock]
OOC: So, I'm flanking now, yes? If I hit, sneak attack damage.[/sblock]

drothgery

First Post
OOC:
I just noticed this, but either Hariel can flank the sorcerer or Oswin can; you both can't. Oswin goes first, but it's probably more mechanically sound to let Hariel flank (as she can set it up with a 5' step rather than a move and so can full attack with 2 sneak attack dice).

Anax

First Post
OOC:
Oops. My mistake, though: he posted that before I changed my action to the five foot step (and he is higher in initiative.) I'm happy to full attack from here if he doesn't post again before you want to move on.

drothgery

First Post
Saalin sent bolts of fire at the pair of rakshasa warriors, but the bolt aimed at the warrior directly in front of Lord Alistair fizzled. The other, though, the elf somehow willed past its defenses; the creature looked like he was in very bad shapre. (Scorching Ray at 2 didn't come close to beating SR; Scorching Ray at 1 needed an action point)

Drue was unable to cast his spell defensively, and so the rakshasa warrior took the opportunity to take a cut at him, which hurt rather more than the gnome would have liked, and he was unable to complete his spell. (sorry, rolled a 2 on the Concentration check to cast defensively, the AoO hit and did 18 damage to Drue, and he didn't make the concentration check to complete his spell anyway)

Oswin stepped into the melee again, and this time, with Kahlia across from him and Saalin's flametouched rapier in his hand, he struck true. Blood -- or something like it -- flowed from the fiend's back, in any case.

"They must be defeated here and now, or they will simply return with more numbers before I can bring reinformcements here. They would not be here if they did not know what I am." Alistair said, channeling the Silver Flame's power into a spell that healed Drue's injuries ust after the Rakshasa had made them. (Cure Serious Wounds; Alistair made his check to cast defensively)

Hariel, unable to take a flanking position, let her thinblade flash twice more. Once, the sorcerer managed to dodge out of the way. Not twice; another prick appeared on his side.

Brother Dain was not tall for a human man, so the ease at which he took hold of the nearly-uninjured rakshasa warrior and pulled it in his direction was a surprise. Or it would have been, if you did not know him.

In a rather brutal change of tactics, the badly injured rakshasa warrior attacked Kahlia, cutting her down with a pair of slashes from his sword, and then stepped over her body to face Alistair. (Khalia is at -2 hit points)

The second warrior was unable to break the grapple, but the sorcerer was still free to act. And he did, slipping past his comrade to grab Lord Alistair. And then with a word, the un-grappled Rakshasa touched him, and the three of them disappeared. (Saalin and Drue recognize the spell as Teleport)

Revised Bad ASCII art map:

Code:
        North    

------
       ! R  
       !K2#S!
       !  D#!
       !OH  !
      *!#  #!*
      *!  # !*

1 space = 5' square

A - Lord Alistair
D - Brother Dain
H - Hariel
K - Kahlia
O - Oswin
R - Drue
S - Saalin
# - Overturned table
* - Border of silenced area
1 - First rakshasa warrior
2 - Second rakshasa warrior
3 - Rakshasa sorcerer

The west wall is actually a built-in lab bench; there are vials of
magical and alchemical fluids along the bench, as well as notebooks.
There is a weapon rack on the south wall.

Dain and the remaining rakshasa are grappling;
Dain clearly has the upper hand.

Kahlia is down, and has not stablized.

Remove ads