D&D 5E Share your 2020 D&D release predictions

gyor

Legend
I sincerely doubt it. One, because although CR's world Exandria has some unique flavor elements, it's really not that different from a typical Medieval D&D world (Greyhawk, FR), so setting an anthology there doesn't make much sense compared to an official D&D world.

Second, I see no reason why Deborah Ann Woll or DMsGuild authors would be interested in writing for Exandria. Your whole theory that it is in that world seems centered around one of the authors being Marisha Ray, which i find implausible.

Exandria is official a D&D world since being mentioned in BG: DiA and the WotC D&D survey included Exandria as a D&D setting.

But anyways it just occurred to me we may both be right. Would you concider Tales of the Yawning Portal an Adventure Anthology?

I ask because TotYP included Against the giants update, which is about the size of Desert of Desolation, both made up 3 previous modules. So instead of being more like Saltmarsh, maybe this book will be more like TotYP, mixed in with other unrelated adventures. This could be TotYP 2, although perhaps not called that.

GoS also includes a trilogy (although the individual adventures are somewhat shorter than DoD).

You could go either way with DoD - expand it to a full book with lots of new content and setting detail, or reprint as part of an anthology. However, only the first adventure is a good fit for a horror anthology, and that's the best bit anyway.

gyor

Legend
GoS also includes a trilogy (although the individual adventures are somewhat shorter than DoD).

You could go either way with DoD - expand it to a full book with lots of new content and setting detail, or reprint as part of an anthology. However, only the first adventure is a good fit for a horror anthology, and that's the best bit anyway.

You can amp up the horror elements for the rest if needed, more Mummies, Mummy Lords, Ghouls, Jackleweres, curses, maybe add a succubus. All of them can be tweeked.

You can amp up the horror elements for the rest if needed, more Mummies, Mummy Lords, Ghouls, Jackleweres, curses, maybe add a succubus. All of them can be tweeked.
You could, and it would be great, but that would be more in the scope of a full book than as part of a compilation.

There will be subclasses, and they’ll add 1d6 [insert exotic damage type] once per turn as a bonus action. Or maybe 1d8 to all attacks on that turn, but only once before a short rest.

There will be at least one class/subclass with a pet that is much better than the beast master.

There will be a rehash of one or maybe two classic modules. They’ll probably be good. Actually, better than the originals.

There will be at least one storyline that’s not a rehash, and we’ll complain that it reads great, but demands a lot from the DM to run properly. We’ll run it anyway. 😉

Actually that wouldn't take that much space to do, it's a few encounters here and there using monsters that are already in the MM.
Once you start putting in completely new encounters it becomes a rewrite, not a conversion. And therefore would have a much higher resource allocation. In which case its not really worth doing for "just a few" encounters.

teitan

Legend
A pipe dream at best buttt what I’d love to see is a remake of the original Temple of Elemental Evil. Not Princes of the Apocalypse but a straight remake that improves on the original the way that CoS improved the original Ravenloft adventure and expanded where necessary. ToEE was such a great idea and is so iconic but also a slog from being haphazardly finished. One could bring in some of the later developments and really make it a great adventure.

Remove ads