D&D General She Rolled Two 18s.

Let the mods mod.
I get what your saying. I do. This goes beyond letting the mods do their thing though. What that guy said was seriously creepy. And I know he didn't mean it that way. I know this board is an environment where there are a lot of dudes who have limited exposure to women. If no one steps up when this kind of stuff is said, even when it's said with good intentions, everyone loses.

Richards

Legend
Wow, this took an unexpected turn. I believe I should step in here and do some explaining in the interests of not derailing Zardnaar's thread any further.

So, to begin with, I made my silly comment only because the opportunity presented itself and I thought it would be funny. Furthermore, while I do not know Zardnaar (nor his wife) personally, he's had an extensive presence on the boards here (case in point: he's had well over twice my number of posts despite joining EN World 11 years after I did) and I had gotten the impression over the years of social interaction that my comment was something he was likely to find funny as well.

As for being "seriously creepy" I'll merely state in my defense that nowhere did I make any specific comments about anybody's breasts. I will definitely grant you that the statement I made could be taken that way - in fact, it was deliberately worded to be able to be taken that way (that's the whole point of wordplay) - but any assumptions that I'm meaning anything other than what I specifically stated are just that: assumptions on the part of the reader. To whit, I am definitely impressed by the fact that anyone (in this instance, Zardnaar's wife) managed to roll two 18s when creating a new PC; I would personally consider the opportunity to have two 18s of my own to assign to any two ability scores of my own new PC as a lovely situation to be in; and it is certainly more impressive that this result came about because of normal die rolling, as opposed to point buy.

I do not have "limited exposure to women" - I've been a happily married man for 35 years now (36 years this March) and have been DMing for a female player (and five males, not that that's particularly germane to the discussion at hand) for the last 14 years or so. I do not, therefore, fit into the classical stereotype of the male gamer unable to relate to women.

What I am is an avid punster who occasionally allows his love of wordplay to overcome his better sensibilities. My silly comment earlier in the thread, while certainly not intended for Ulorian, seems to have really struck a sensitive nerve. For that, I sincerely apologize to Ulorian and anyone else bothered by my comment.

As for "mods modding," they are of course welcome to intervene as they see best - that is, after all, their function and it helps to keep EN World the great place it is. And, as even Ulorian acknowledges above, my intentions were good even if my execution caused some hurt feelings. Again, apologies.

Hopefully we can now get back to the topic at hand. I for one am interested in finding out the final determination of where those awesome stats will end up.

Johnathan

Zardnaar

Legend
Well her last character didn't get anything higher than a 16.

4d6 drop the lowest. I think one other player has a 18 beginning stst.

It's why she going support. I have high stats so I'll make your PC better.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And you might need to met more women. She's very thick skinned.

Mod Note:

You do realize that you are posting in a largely public forum? And that the one woman you know is not the only one you need to consider in posting, right?

Rather than argue with people over what is, is not, or should/should not be creepy, please take this as an opportunity to LEARN about what people think is creepy. Folks found the post troubling and objectifying. Period. Done. Their reactions are valid, even if the woman you were speaking about would not find it to be an issue, as you were not just enjoying a private joke at home to a limited, select audience.

Remember that other women live other lives - if you make them feel disrespected, objectified, or unsafe on these boards, that is still a problem.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Those are some nice stats, @Zardnaar . We also roll our own stats, and we can have some pretty unpredictable results because of it.

In case anyone's interested, here are my houserules for rolling ability scores.
  • In our campaign, characters all start at 1st level. In addition to the starting equipment listed in the PHB, they also get to start with one magic item of their choice, from Table A, B, or F. I encourage (insist?) them to integrate that item into their backstory.
  • Players all roll six ability scores using the 4d6 method, and then add up all of the modifiers.
    • If the sum of their ability score modifiers is +4 or lower, they can either reroll all six, or keep them and start with a feat of their choice from the PHB.
    • If the sum of their ability score modifiers is +9 or higher, they can either reroll all six of their stats, or keep them and forfeit their magic item.
That stack of stats has a total of +12, which is amazing. That's better than any magic item in the book, IMO.

Unwise

Adventurer
That worked out really well that she wanted a support character. Nobody complains about anything being overpowered when it is in a supporting role. Just look at the Bard class.

I find in my power gaming combat-centric group that anybody with those stats would play a Barbarian or another MAD combat class and overshadow their peers. 20 Str, 20 Con, 16 Dex, 18 AC naked on a dwarf barbarian level 1 and be pretty insane.

Zardnaar

Legend
That worked out really well that she wanted a support character. Nobody complains about anything being overpowered when it is in a supporting role. Just look at the Bard class.

I find in my power gaming combat-centric group that anybody with those stats would play a Barbarian or another MAD combat class and overshadow their peers. 20 Str, 20 Con, 16 Dex, 18 AC naked on a dwarf barbarian level 1 and be pretty insane.

We're kinda restrained min/maxers not munchkins.

If we get insane stats wevuse them to make a weak option better vs the best option we can find.

I've seen something similar to that Barbarian.

She went pure support because if the stats, here inner munchkin admitted she would like to play a bladesinger wizard or melee focused sorcerer with those stats.

We tend to play what the party needs vs what we actually want.bi think my last 3/4 PCs have been healer variants.

Think I've only had one PC that can't heal in some capacity a champion halfling fighter.

GreyLord

Legend
Yeah, I think it was a net bonus of +2 when the bonus values from all six stats were added together...or it might have been +0, can't quite remember now.

I had a character in 3e who started out at +2 net total bonus and she turned out to be the best character I've played in my life.

AD&D (1e) also had a similar rule. If you did not roll at least two ability scores which were 15 or over it was suggested that you roll up a new character.

That can make a LOT of characters rolled up sometimes if someone repeatedly does not have two ability scores over 15.

Anoth

Adventurer
AD&D (1e) also had a similar rule. If you did not roll at least two ability scores which were 15 or over it was suggested that you roll up a new character.

That can make a LOT of characters rolled up sometimes if someone repeatedly does not have two ability scores over 15.
Can you give me a page number for that.

Remove ads