• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Clueless

Webmonkey
Um.

It *is* that dark.

The PC's *are* the bright points.

You'll notice the party gets more and more... morbidly humourous about the situation actually. There's the occasional bright moments (and we pull some GOOD stunts on the baddies towards the end) but I'll freely admit - it's a d**ned dark game. We make a lot of jokes at the table - and they're in character at that - because the dark is so bad the characters have to laugh or they'll cry. If you've read through the Clockmaker's story you can see a little bit of *just* how dark things can get. I suppose it helps to produce a strong emotion and desire to see the game through so we can *slam* the bad guys good and hard. (Which we are doing - it took time but we's winning now.)

It probably helps that Shemmy isn't a confrontational DM. He makes a very good effort to let us know that he's on *our* side and not on the side of the bad guys. It really helps us as players trust his storylines that we'll win in the end. Plus, he'll let us do the unexpected things that radically change the layout of the game world - if we can make the roll or figure out how to do it - we *can*. Even if it removes one of his big players from the board for awhile. So it's that combination of things, that he wants us to win, that we trust him to screw the characters with the intention of winning later, and that when we surprise him - he lets it go through - no DM fiat'ing to avoid it.

Fimmtiu

First Post
And speaking of leftover plot threads... whatever did happen to Aren's soul after she got herself all corspified in the Incantifiers' Maze?

Clueless

Webmonkey
It was a little nibbled on - but was returned to the temple of Bast shortly after we went back to Sigil (along with the majority of weapons and 'holy items').

Kage Tenjin

First Post
Clueless said:
It probably helps that Shemmy isn't a confrontational DM. He makes a very good effort to let us know that he's on *our* side and not on the side of the bad guys. It really helps us as players trust his storylines that we'll win in the end. Plus, he'll let us do the unexpected things that radically change the layout of the game world - if we can make the roll or figure out how to do it - we *can*. Even if it removes one of his big players from the board for awhile. So it's that combination of things, that he wants us to win, that we trust him to screw the characters with the intention of winning later, and that when we surprise him - he lets it go through - no DM fiat'ing to avoid it.

That's probably the key thing that I wasn't sure of, it seemed like with a plot this dark you might have that problem of even the *players* believing that they can never win, and I wondered how that got handled.

So I suppose my hat's off the the 'Lolth, cause that seems like a hard line to walk.

Toras

First Post
The jokes definitely help (a number of them are semi-out of character, and thus have not made it in) I think we compiled a list of them as some point. I may have posted part of it before.

At random points of down time, Toras will go to the Orphanage and heals the child of their respective illnesses and hurts. He spends a bit of time with them, and then goes to the hive, where he will randomly stomp a fiend for looking at him funny. (their running low on Mezzeloths) The characters often have things to look for release.

That and personally Toras has been marking a list (a facsimile of those kept by his order), and as soon as we get done laying the smacketh down on those who shall not be named, he is going to go around like a sadistic Santa visiting each of them in turn (saving the tiefling from the beginning for last) . But that's just me

Last edited:

Clueless

Webmonkey
Kage Tenjin said:
That's probably the key thing that I wasn't sure of, it seemed like with a plot this dark you might have that problem of even the *players* believing that they can never win, and I wondered how that got handled.

There's been some moments like that - but we manage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads