Shemmy's Planescape Storyhour #2 (Updated x3 10-17-07)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Arathyn said:
Well done, Shemeska. Looking forward to your next update(s).

Well I don't have an update yet, but I do have some art to share of some campaign antagonists and allies of circumstance. Both pictures by the talented Azelyn.

Nerath - not entirely work safe for socially awkward piercings - http://arcanofox.foxpaws.net/1211310465_azelyn_nerath.jpg
Larsdana ap Neut (locked away inside a gemstone for all of SH 1, she shows up in SH2) - http://arcanofox.foxpaws.net/1212285117_azelyn_lars.jpg

Next SH1 update will include artwork for that one as well. I went kinda crazy last month with commissioned art.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Burningspear said:
the artworks look very neat, who and where can we contact this person if we would want similar things done? :D

The artist's email is Azelyn(AT)gmail.com

However I think she just put a pause on commissions for the moment.

Though I realize it's probably well down the road, how long do you think it'll be until Larsdana ap Nuet shows up in any meaningful fashion. I've got some planescape-related brainstorming going on in my head at the moment and her character intrigues me (for which I blame you, Shemmy! *glares*).

Now obviously, assuming anything comes of this, I'll go my own way with her, but I'm quite interested in getting your take on Larsdana.

Also, I love the artwork, though I can't help but find Helekanalaith and A'kin conspicuously absent... *is hopeful*

- Arathyn

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Arathyn said:
Though I realize it's probably well down the road, how long do you think it'll be until Larsdana ap Nuet shows up in any meaningful fashion. I've got some planescape-related brainstorming going on in my head at the moment and her character intrigues me (for which I blame you, Shemmy! *glares*).

Now obviously, assuming anything comes of this, I'll go my own way with her, but I'm quite interested in getting your take on Larsdana.

Also, I love the artwork, though I can't help but find Helekanalaith and A'kin conspicuously absent... *is hopeful*

- Arathyn

1-2 years before I get to that point in this storyhour. I'm at a complete nadir right now in terms of SH output, between competing stuff offline and some scattered freelancing, so it's going to be a long time coming. Before that point however I could easily see myself writing up a scene involving her just because, or to accompany any artwork if I had it done for the character.

Larsdana ends up being a recurring player (though not part of the main plot) in SH2 (mostly as a result of continual fallout among the 'loth heirarchy following the events of SH1). So far she only features in two short stories I've done, but you can bet money on her showing up in more down the road. Cold, elegant, utterly devoid of compassion. She's particularly frightening for me as a scientist, because she has the experimental curiosity of one without any of the ethics. She'd pull the wings off of a dozen eladrin not because she enjoyed doing so, but simply to observe what happened. She's very much a kindred soul to Helekanalaith, but he's in many ways not as completely advanced down the same pathways she was on and which she set him on eons before.

I actually have an unfinished piece detailing a demiplane'ish location in Gehenna used as a storehouse of artifacts and such by Larsdana (perhaps knowing in advance that she might be overthrown, and kept hidden away with the knowledge that she might have prepared herself a way back even if killed or imprisoned). I pitched the original idea to online Dragon, but they were complete punks and never responded to any single query I sent in, nor questions about query status a month or two months later. Yes I'm bitter.

I'm more likely to have that finished and posted online (on Planewalker) sometime in the next few months than anything else. Though some Larsdana art is in the pipeline because I enjoy the character.

And on that note, there will be Helekanalaith art in the future, just waiting for the right artist to become free with a commission slot (already have a few in mind).

Here's an excerpt of that prior to any revisions or edits, but should give a hint of what's to come, and some look at Larsdana's mindset:

me said:
We are tools of our makers. We are puppets of the Gloom Fathers, pawns on the chessboard of the Father/Mothers. You know this my love. You understand this just as much as I do. Some of us transcend this status and we might reasonably call ourselves rooks, or bishops, or even queens upon the playing field. But we know what we are, we know that their hands and the core of our being guides our actions, patterns our motions, and for all of our selfish pride and malignancy, we would not wish it any other way.

Paradox defines us my love.

Paradox defines us very well.

We made a curious little thing together didn’t we Helekanalaith? The king and queen of Perdition. Lady and Lord of the Furnace. Lovers with knives at each other’s throats, feral in our cold elegance, selfless abominations who would destroy the multiverse for one another yet destroy themselves to extinguish the very notion of altruism.

With each and every kiss and whisper, we realized the arrogance and elegant, twisted beauty of our relationship. Each kiss, each coupling was a tick of the clock, counting down the minutes to the betrayal we both accepted as an affirmation of our twisted, beloved ethos of self-destruction.

Lie to me. Tell me that you do not love me and I will do the same.

And now what is done is done. You are Keeper of the Tower, Lord of the 2nd Furnace, Magister of Chamada, and I have vanished into the bleeding mists of history as a footnote and a bauble upon your desk. But do not think for a moment that we are finished Helekanalaith. You never answered my question, and do not insult yourself and me with the delusion that I am gone; that in death I am left powerless.

Our makers used me as a tool and nothing more, but they did not extinguish the chance of using me yet again. I am useful. My agony delights them. My pain amuses them. With such an opening act Helekanalaith, we are merely in an intermission, and my tortured spirit is calmly waiting for our little play to begin again. That you imprisoned me rather than killing me and plunging my essence back to feed the Glooms is in and of itself a suggestion that both Alashra the Dreamer and Sarkithel the Chronicler did not wish me dead. They are not finished feeding upon us. They are not finished watching their children bleed. It is not over between us my love.

I am waiting and I am watching. In the blood, in the whispers of the past, haunting the halls of the House of Memory, I am waiting.

When you assumed the position of Keeper of the Tower, you inherited much of my power and many of my secrets, but hardly all of them. Oh, I will admit that in the eons since you have crafted a legacy of your own, and I doubt that if the situation were to be reversed in the future that I’d find all that you’d buried and hidden. But yes, I have my secrets that even the blind agonies of a hundred thousand years, tenfold more, a hundredfold more and beyond have not wrested from spirit or corpse to enrich your well of plundered wisdom.

My secret places, my hidden caches, my storehouses of knowledge and blasphemies that were never included in the archives of the Tower Arcane… they still exist. I suspect that some of them may have fallen to chance plunder, to the hands of gods and Oinoloths, or even to our makers and patrons themselves. But not all of them. Some of them still exist and they are waiting for me, waiting for a moment of your weakness. They dot the planes like cancer in the marrow, a virus in the blood. Just like me, a suppressed virulence waiting for its chance.

This is just such a place:

The Whispering Solarium of Larsdana. Dzerathga Mlath Ap Larsdana
Planar Traits:
Timeless – though time does not retroactively occur upon leaving
Sinkhole of Evil – acts as an Evil dominant planar region, with penalties doubled for non evil individuals. Spells with the [Good] subtype fail automatically
Seal of the Keeper – the Whispering Solarium is sealed off from contact with the planes, with its sole entrance being the only way in or out. Teleportation spells and the like that rely on coexistent planes fail within the confines of the vault, as well as any summoning or calling spell that would breach the boundaries of the sealed space.
Divine Anathema – divine magic does not operate within the vault with the exception of permanent items and spells cast before entering. The vault’s isolated nature acts to prevent clerics or other divine spellcasters from drawing upon their patron’s granted power, though oddly this effect also extends to priests of abstract concepts and planes, so the general yugoloth antipathy to faith appears to have been a deliberately incorporated as a design trait

Shemeska

Adventurer
No update yet, but here's some new artwork I had done of a pair of characters that will eventually show up later on in the story (tangent to the main plot). Artwork was done by the very talented Sangluna as part of a sketchbook that she's raffling off (that she's still selling tickets for FWIW).

Escheris the Rotting

“Can I assume that the agreements signed with your predecessor are still in place?” The pit fiend asked, looking up at the three-headed yugoloth lord.

“You may tell your master yes.” The leftmost head replied, its eyes flickering a dozen colors like those of an ultroloth. “The contracts agreed to by Mother will be honored as written before I took power here. At the present moment I have neither the desire nor the intention to change the terms of such things.”

The archfiend’s head smiled in unison and it turned away from the baatezu to light a series of tall candles arranged around something atop a block of glossy, black stone that protruded from the tower’s petitioner-flesh structure.

“At the moment that is.” The leftmost head chuckled with a tone that left the other fiend somewhat unsettled. Yet more uncertainty from the ‘loths was not something the Hells particularly needed at the moment.

The baatezu nodded and looked up at the towering but sickly form of the yugoloth lord and erstwhile Overlord of Carceri. That position hadn’t been the most stable in the last two hundred years given the presumed death of Bubonix at the hands of the Ebon, the passing of the title to the Manged, and then her passing of it to Escheris the Rotting upon her ascent to Oinoloth.

‘So much for purity’, the baatezu thought. The archfiend’s matted fur was a jaundiced shade of yellowish-green, and its limbs were elongated and far too thin for its nearly twenty foot height. Still, that mattered little if it played nicely and honored the agreements the Hells had invested much in cultivating.

“You are most kind.” The pit fiend stated. “Dagos will be pleased.”

The baatezu turned to leave, his primary duty accomplished, but the arch-‘loth’s voice abruptly caused him to stop.

“You may also tell your true master that his agreements with the Manged are to be continued as stipulated.”

The pit fiend turned and looked up at Escheris’s central head. For the first time since meeting him, it made eye contact with that head, fixing him with dull, glassy eyes like those of a dead animal. It was unnerving, and for a split second they seemed to be possessed of a reddish-pink glow, like those of an albino…

“Excuse me?” The pit fiend recomposed himself. It had to have just been a reflection from the candles it was lighting in an almost ritualistic manner.

“Give Cantrum my regards.” Escheris said. “His contracts will remain in place till I decide to change them.”

How the hell did the fiend know about Cantrum and apparently his actual reason for being there in Carceri?

“He’s a smart boy.” Escheris said with all three heads as he lowered one candle into the object in front of him. “That’s for him to figure out. But it matters little so long as he abides by those contracts.”

The pit fiend felt cold as the archfiend chuckled and the first few wisps of burning incense rose up from the broken remains of Talasid’s skull.

Vorasha the Ophidian

“Tell the Keeper that I desire to meet.” The fiend said as she slowly and deliberately pulled down the heavy velvet cowl of her cloak.

It was a testament to the arcanaloth scribe’s years of servitude to Gehenna’s Tower that he only flinched momentarily, and then only out of surprise rather than any other emotion.

Vorasha smiled and a black, forked tongue slipped between fangs and lips to taste the air and the other yugoloth’s repressed worry. No longer constrained by the cowl, the coif of green and crimson serpents that sprouted from her skull hissed in offset time with a chorus of soft, serpentine chuckles.

The scribe didn’t respond immediately, but stared hard at his unannounced guest, glancing from her slitted emerald eyes, to the scales visible along her neck and hands, to the serpentine mane atop her head. The question that came to his mind was soon to come to his lips.

“Just what in the General’s name are you?”

The fiend smiled and answered as the serpents hissed mockingly. “One of Three.”

Akhelos

First Post
*Grabs the Thread, drags it up to the highest Floor of the Tower Arcane in Ghenna, puts Metal Rods in it and summons a Storm while chenneling Necromantic Powers to ressurect the Thread* ^^

Raise Thread, Raise Storyhour, RAISE TO SERVE YOUR OINOLOTH!

*looks if this is sufficient or if it needs the sacrifice of 200 Elves and Shemmis whole Jewelry* ^^

A lot of dust here, for so a good story. Whit so many open Questions. I hope that it gets updated again somewhere in the Future. ^^

What has happend if Shylara could become Oinoloth...and was she at least shaved from head to toe before that? *g* And what has happened to your namesake Shemeshka, is she really dead or just vanished? And why does Fyrehowl not life with Akin, because one of their daughters is Insane from the mixed blood?

And how did you build Paedra as an Arcanaloth/Lupinal Hybrid? And this Arcanaloth/Ultroloth Hybrids or what they are, as they dont seem to be just Unique Fiends but now there is a bigger number? If I unterstood it correctly. ^^

Remove ads