• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ship-To-Ship Battles

Chairman7w

First Post
Anybody here have a favorite system for Ship-to-Ship battles?

I have Skull & Bones and it is VERY good, but the s2s fights are probably a little too advanced for my group.

I kinda like the Conan system, but it doens't take into account cannon. Anyway, any ideas or suggestions?

THanks in advace!

Ed

Ferox4

First Post
diaglo said:
go HERE to see an example of what you should be playing. :D

I don't know if you were being facetious or not, but that IS what we use for our ship battles - or at least a modified version of it.

WS&IM is a very, very strategic game that has given me endless hours of frustration. It's chess at sea - which, I would imagine, is how naval battles really are.

Though it has nothing to do with this thread, I prefer Kingmaker above all the other Avalon Hill games (now Hasbro, I believe).

Cheers

Old One

First Post
WS&IM is the only game for ship-to-ship combat...all others are pale comparisons ;)! I can't count the number of hours I spent playing this game...double-shot the cannons and break the line!!!!

~ Old One

PS - End Hijack

CarlZog

Explorer
Ed, what aspect of S&Bs rules are your players stumbling over? Is it too many details across the board, or is there some particular set of mechanics that's bogging them down? Your answers can help narrow down some recommendations for other d20 sailing ship rulesets.

Essentially, all ship-to-ship rules boil down to sailing, gunnery, crew management and vessel damage. Among the d20 nautical supplements, there are many similarities in all these areas. Some are simpler to run, but sacrifice realism. Others lean toward wargaming strategy at the price of individual character involvement in the battle.

Wooden Ships and Iron Men is a great beer and pretzels wargame, but if your players are finding S&B a little too much, you don't want WSIM.

However, as wargames go, WSIM is pretty abstract. Those who like it, but are yearning for something with a little more realism, should consider the board wargame Close Action. It is very similar to WSIM, but is quite a bit more detailed.

If that still doesn't do it for you, consider going to miniatures rules. Among the best are Heart of Oak, which was produced by FGU in the late 70s as part of their Privateers and Gentlemen rpg. Heart of Oak does one of the best jobs depicting the art of sailing, and is now available again as a pdf. For really top-notch, albeit complicated, gunnery rules, consider Beat to Quarters, a British publication that is sadly out of print. I've long considered merging these two, but it's another project on the backburner.

Carl

diaglo

Adventurer
Ferox4 said:
I don't know if you were being facetious or not, but that IS what we use for our ship battles - or at least a modified version of it.

i am quite serious. and thus why i suggested it.

i never joke about D&D.

Virel

First Post
Being an old school wargamer, I played WS&IM way before ever playing any D&D. So when naval battles came up, the whole group was like, "Let's use Wooden Ships & Iron Men!" So of course we did!

This would be my choice. Might want to do a little DM house ruling for the boarding actions etc. A druid can come in really handy... :]

Arnwyn

First Post
I still use the 2e book Of Ships & the Sea, with some basic modifications to add a bit more detail and updated with some 3e standards.

Our group really likes it...

Chairman7w

First Post
Thanks everybody! The Skull & Bones was too much with the degrees of turning, and 1/4 sail-1/2 sail, etc... I'm thinking of dumbing down the maneuverability to three levels, creatively titled: 1, 2 and 3. In game terms, that's how many hexes between one facing turn on the hex. I'm thinking of breaking speed down by half (12 is 6 hexes, 10 is 5 hexes, etc.

Wind? Ugh. I Have no idea. I'm actually just thinking of having the captain roll a die and call odd or even. If he gets it right, he'll get a +2 bonus to speed that round.

Any ideas? (PS - gonna go check out "Of Ships & Sea" right now on RPG now!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads