Shocker (Melee Weapon)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Eh, it's all a (fancy word for blurred representation) anyway, but for me the damage bonus represents overpowering (strength) or out maneuvering (dexterity) an opponent to hit a more vital area.

But yeah, there's always going to be some disconnect.

Satyrn

First Post
Yeah I agree.

Oh, but that list of weapons I said I wanted. If I was energetic enough to do it, I might go crazy and decide that each weapon, based on its function, used a certain stat for attack and a different one for damage. And I wouldn't just limit it to Strength and Dexterity. A necrotic soul stealing weapon could be Con to attack (something something imposing your physical presence onto your foe) and be Cha to damage (for your soul overpowering your foe's).

aco175

Legend
On its face, I do not have a problem with this. I may make the damage 1d6 and not allow a strength or dex modifier. I'm not sure on allowing other energy weapons, like fire, cold, and acid. I guess the minor advantages in certain circumstances are not that powerful to upset much for the benefit. I suppose you can even allow them to be easily concealed to give it something else.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Shock Baton
Martial melee weapon, 1d4 Lightning damage, 1d4 Bludgeoning damage

This metal club is laden with crystals which deliver a sharp jolt on impact.

Satyrn

First Post
Shock Baton
Martial melee weapon, 1d4 Lightning damage, 1d4 Bludgeoning damage

This metal club is laden with crystals which deliver a sharp jolt on impact.

That is cool. A nice improvement on the original. It's damaging enough that someone might actually take it. It's got a good fantasy feel. And much less importantly, it does justify a Strength mod.

And you may even have invented a new sort of terrain. Imagine exploring or fighting in a cave where these crystals are growing, where any sudden impact or such sets them off.

hejtmane

Explorer
That is cool. A nice improvement on the original. It's damaging enough that someone might actually take it. It's got a good fantasy feel. And much less importantly, it does justify a Strength mod.

And you may even have invented a new sort of terrain. Imagine exploring or fighting in a cave where these crystals are growing, where any sudden impact or such sets them off.
I look at them as more options than just the flame tongue or frost band why not lighting, acid, force etc etc I been doing this since my 1e days so the crystal makes sense and makes cool weapon options and does not need magic that way

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Bupp

Adventurer
In my game I've had Shocklances. Spears that do an equivalent of the shocking grasp cantrip. I've envisioned other similar magitech type weapons that had cantrip like powers.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I've come with a rough rule of thumb of dropping the damage dice one size, then replacing 1d4 with lightning damage. Which would make:

Shock Lance:
Martial melee weapon, 1d4 lightning and 1d6 piercing damage, reach, special

Only cases where it doesn't work are d4's and d8's. Not sure what to do there.

Remove ads