D&D (2024) Should all races/lineages have +2/+1/+1 ASI?

aco175

Legend
That is all true, but still for me d20 has too much variability.

I.E.
if you are trained in a skill and have good score(16), that gives you +5 bonus to your skill check.

with d20 that gives you 5% chance for a very hard DC(25), with just basic training, maybe very hard DC should be unattainable?
but you can also fail DC 10(easy) 20% of the time, that is also little too much for someone trained.

If we go from d20+5 to d12+4+5(keeping save average and only one die roll, avoiding bell curve);
we get:
DC 25 goes from 5% to 0%
DC 20 goes from 30% to 17%
DC 15 goes from 55% to 58%
DC 10 goes from 80% to 100%
Couldn't we just make it easier and say if you have +5 in a skill, the minimum you can roll on a d20 is 5. This would allow all the trained people with +5 in a skill no chance to fail common things and people with +10 in a skill no chance to fail average things.

We could also just say if you have +5 you do not need to roll at all for simple things. This may get a bit off if all the PCs are rolling and the DM does not tell them the DC.

Yaarel

He Mage
That is all true, but still for me d20 has too much variability.

I.E.
if you are trained in a skill and have good score(16), that gives you +5 bonus to your skill check.

with d20 that gives you 5% chance for a very hard DC(25), with just basic training, maybe very hard DC should be unattainable?
but you can also fail DC 10(easy) 20% of the time, that is also little too much for someone trained.

If we go from d20+5 to d12+4+5(keeping save average and only one die roll, avoiding bell curve);
we get:
DC 25 goes from 5% to 0%
DC 20 goes from 30% to 17%
DC 15 goes from 55% to 58%
DC 10 goes from 80% to 100%
Couldn't we just make it easier and say if you have +5 in a skill, the minimum you can roll on a d20 is 5. This would allow all the trained people with +5 in a skill no chance to fail common things and people with +10 in a skill no chance to fail average things.

We could also just say if you have +5 you do not need to roll at all for simple things. This may get a bit off if all the PCs are rolling and the DM does not tell them the DC.

Maybe 2024 can introduce the Passive Check for routine skill checks. Officially, the Passive Check represents the average outcome when doing something repeatedly (such as keeping an eye open for any secret doors).

The same principle can apply to any routine skill check, such as a locksmith who is familiar with unlocking many locks and many different kinds of them.

So, if a character is Trained in a skill, having Proficiency, the player can choose to do a Passive Check (which is effectively a Take 10) instead of a d20 roll.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I genuinely believe that species should have both more species features and species features that can be swapped out with each other to better customize them. I feel like that would better add options and depth to the species options without having to worry about ASI.

Remove ads