D&D 5E Should All Subclasses Be Gained at 1st Level?

Would you like to see all classes choose their subclass at 1st Level?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
100% in agreement with getting all of your features at level 1. (Assuming no level-by-level MCing, though). Leveling just scales your abilities.
I don't think it would hurt anything if it fits your style. It wouldn't really fit mine I don't think.

One thought for anyone pursuing it for Extra Attack. Allow the feature even at level 1, but with a -4 penalty. Each level the penalty is lessened by 1 point, so by 5th level it is gone completely.

1st: -4
2nd: -3
3rd: -2
4th: -1
5th+: no penalty

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
100% in agreement with getting all of your features at level 1. (Assuming no level-by-level MCing, though). Leveling just scales your abilities.
Yeah, there's honestly very few features that are worth such a high level as they are. Much features that comes at higher level are already gated by being used based on ability mods or such.

ie: foe slayer the ranger's capstone, or overchannel for the invoker.

That would also let me go back to the old school multiclass (mix two level 1 classes without subclasses and split xp between them)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I don't think it would hurt anything if it fits your style. It wouldn't really fit mine I don't think.

One thought for anyone pursuing it for Extra Attack. Allow the feature even at level 1, but with a -4 penalty. Each level the penalty is lessened by 1 point, so by 5th level it is gone completely.

1st: -4
2nd: -3
3rd: -2
4th: -1
5th+: no penalty
Well extra attack and spell level acquisition are still left in their usual spot, so a level 1 fighter does not have 4 attacks and a 1st level wizard dont cast meteor swarm.

Remove ads