Should bad guys stabalize?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I only roll the dice for named NPCs, because they're the only ones who might have enough ambition to cause problems later. A mook who happens to regain consciousness won't chase after the people who kicked his butt; he'll just limp home and contemplate a new career.

If the PCs need a live captive for some reason, like interrogation, I assume that 20% of the unconscious mooks have made the first stabilization check. Of course, any that are clearly dead-- below -10 hp, disintegrated, vorpalized, whatever-- are removed from the count first.

bweibeler

First Post
Yes. At least for intelligent monsters and NPCs. The PCs can usually get some useful information from them if they live and are taken captive.

Sejs

First Post
Generally, the way I do it is when a mook goes down, I give 'em one stabilization roll and leave it at that. If they make it, fine, if they don't then I just assume they're dead. Less bookkeeping for me.

Named badguys and plot important NPCs I handle just the same as if they were player characters.

Psion

Adventurer
Uh, why not?

I do stabilize cannon fodder, but only for the purposes if the PCs are interesting in taking them prisoner.

Singificant NPCs, always. One NPC that the PCs left for dead will come back to haunt them in my game.

diaglo

Adventurer
Psion said:
Singificant NPCs, always. One NPC that the PCs left for dead will come back to haunt them in my game.

that's why i kill and eat all my enemies.

Dark Sun Kender Halfling... read the story hour in my sig. :D

Liolel

First Post
Piratecat said:
I only stabilize folks who aren't cannon fodder.
Almost exactly the way I do it, with one exception. If the party wants to see if any enemy stabilized so the enemy can be healed and questioned then I would check for cannon fodder. Otherwise its not worth the effort.

Squire James

First Post
Unless at least one PC specifies an obvious desire to keep someone alive, I don't roll to stablize anyone. It is SOP for bad guys, mooks or otherwise, to "play dead" if they hit exactly 0 hp. Most guys who survive in this fashion go home and rethink their lives, as Obi-Wan might say. A few can't help but to get entangled in another evil plot, and it allows me to add comments like, "One of the mooks looks kinda familiar, but you can't pinpoint why."

Bauglir

First Post
diaglo said:
that's why i kill and eat all my enemies.

Dark Sun Kender Halfling... read the story hour in my sig. :D

Once we get high enough level in most games I play, BBEGs tend to keep coming back again and again, even if we kill them.

So now we kill them, and feed them to a barghest.

Sejs

First Post
Dark Sun Kender Halfling
Heh, okay now then class, which one of these four words does not belong in this set?

^_^

So now we kill them, and feed them to a barghest.
Heh, yeah. Lesser Planar Binding: Garbage Man Of Evil.

PC: I want you to eat this guy's corpse and devour his life-force.

Barghest: Alright, and what do I get in return?

PC: You get to eat this guy's corpse, and devour his life-force.

Barghest: Oh. OKay then, sounds good. Here's my card, give me a call if you ever need this sort of thing done again.

Ferret

Explorer
Crothian said:
I allow everyone to have a chance to stabalize. Doesn't matter if its an evil NPC, some nameless commoner, or the Big Bad.

Thats what I do, I've never had to do much though.

Remove ads