D&D 5E Should D&D be easier to learn? If so, how would you do it?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
That is super cool and I can't wait to read through it.

I've been working (slowly) on a somewhat similar concept, although not nearly as simplified. Mine is a stripped down variant, designed for younger players, set in a world based on a "fairy tale" aesthetic. The main changes I'm making are:
  1. Six classes: Knight, Minstrel, Witch, Hunter, Thief, Friar
  2. 10 levels, no subclasses
  3. Each class has a signature ability that costs Inspiration to use
  4. Humans only (for now)
  5. Spellcasting based on Warlock invocations (abilities that are either at will or per rest; no shared slots or preparation)

Quoting/necro-ing myself because I just learned about the upcoming "Dolmenwood" from Necrotic Gnome and it's basically exactly what I'm describing, although using Old School Essentials:

Even some of the classes (Friar, Minstrel, Hunter, Knight) are identical.

File under "Great Minds", right?

Clint_L

Hero
If only there was a core book booked designed to lead players through the intricacies of the game. They could call it a "guide" of some sort.

Quoting/necro-ing myself because I just learned about the upcoming "Dolmenwood" from Necrotic Gnome and it's basically exactly what I'm describing, although using Old School Essentials:

Even some of the classes (Friar, Minstrel, Hunter, Knight) are identical.

File under "Great Minds", right?
It’s a great setting! I would recommend picking up the adventure from them Winters Daughter. There’s a 5e version too

cranberry

Adventurer
If someone is truly interested in D&D, I don't believe 5E (in its current state) presents significant barriers to entry.

IMO, there has to be some effort in learning the game, otherwise there will be less commitment. Making D&D as easy to lean as a board game or a card game will bring in a lot of casual players, but they are unlikely to stick around.

Voadam

Legend
IMO, there has to be some effort in learning the game, otherwise there will be less commitment. Making D&D as easy to lean as a board game or a card game will bring in a lot of casual players, but they are unlikely to stick around
I generally feel it is the reverse situation, there would be more players who would stick around if there were fewer barriers to getting in to play initially.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It's a bit of a loaded question. Everything should always be as easy to learn as it can be made without leaving out necessary detail. One might as well say, "Should fast food be healthier?" or the like. Broadly understood, the answer is trivially yes; narrowly understood, the answer is always so dependent on the specific details of the execution that a general answer is impossible. I mean, for goodness' sake, THAC0 was meant to make it easier to do attack rolls so people didn't have to memorize tables or constantly flip pages!

TL;DR: Either the answer is trivial and unhelpful (always "yes") or impossible to specify (many implementations "NO!")

----

That said, while the opening question isn't helpful, the underlying idea is plenty helpful: "What are useful ways to make D&D easier to learn?" Answering it is difficult, but any time we can give an answer, it is a major victory in game design.

Personally, I think the OP proposal is flawed for one really big reason, which has been painfully illustrated by 5e: EVERYONE will play as though "Level 1" is the correct starting point for all characters. Now, I know that that statement is hyperbolic--I've seen, even participated, in groups that didn't start at level 1. But the vast, vast, vast majority of groups doggedly insist that you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to start at level 1. Why? Because it's 1! 1 is first! Why WOULDN'T you start at 1? That's where things start (unless you're into comp-sci and say they start at 0.) First-level characters are fragile and lacking their kit? Who cares! IT'S LEVEL ONE, START AT LEVEL ONE!!! (Yes, I have a chip on my shoulder after this EXACT issue was the primary cause of not one but two unrelated groups falling apart.)

Further, as noted, first-level characters are fragile. That's....kind of a problem when this is supposed to be the part of the game where people are learning, aka, making lots of mistakes and lacking the experience to make wise judgments or effective course-corrections. It's all well and good to say "give people a challenge!" but the fact of the matter is, if you make the early experience brutally hard, you're going to lose people, not teach them. That doesn't mean you should (to trot out the many loaded phrases people like to invoke) treat new players with "kid gloves" or put "training wheels" on them or engage in "hand-holding." Instead, it means that the design should take into account the fact that new players need to be given solid reasons to stick with it even when things don't go well and need to know that they can make SOME mistakes without suffering for it, so that they can actually learn and develop as opposed to having to constantly start from square one every single time they err.

As a result of this and other things, I think the OP's approach has the right idea but the wrong execution. It shouldn't be "level 1, make ONLY choice X, level 2 make ONLY choice Y, and after N levels you finally have a complete character." Instead, level 1 should be synonymous with having made all of those decisions....and then there should be robust, well-designed, carefully-considered, fully-supported rules which gradually lead up to that point. The usual term for this approach is "novice levels" (also "zero levels," "apprentice tier" or other, similar things.)

Novice levels provide five key benefits, if they are well-designed:
  1. Relevant to the thread, they make D&D easier to teach/learn. Digestible chunks to smooth the journey.
  2. They support "old school" players who want a fully-supported "zero to hero" model. Given these players have been under-served by D&D for many years, this is a significant boon.
  3. They force designers to consider design elements (races, abilities, classes, backgrounds, etc.) both individually and as combinatorial options, which is really important for mitigating a number of common TTRPG design errors.
  4. They recognize the common-sense logic that most players apply, which is that "first level" is where the game begins, while still addressing the need for variable starting competency.
  5. They allow for much more piecemeal, incremental advancement "between" levels, supporting players who appreciate the current power structure but want a more gradual growth curve.
I am 100% convinced that D&D should build novice levels into its structure for all future editions, updates, and other things. These levels should be baked into the core of the game, not just some supplement two years in. They should be fully supported, flexible, and adaptable to both nurturing brand-new players (avoiding "quit" points and enhancing their ability to learn and engage) and to supporting anyone, whether long-time or new players, who would like a more challenging, by-your-bootstraps early play experience.

This is, of course, dependent on these "novice levels" actually being well-designed. To accomplish these goals, novice levels would need to: be written up in both the PHB and DMG and included in any SRD-type offerings (so there's no doubt as to whether they are a valid, core option), be scalable to all levels of play (not just confined to the "0"-1 range), include robust tools for appropriate encounter design (to account for both first-time-learning and challenge-seeking players), sufficiently open-ended so that new content smoothly integrates (not hardcoded to whatever options are initially available), and well-explained for both players and DMs. Each of these requirements is a challenge, but I am confident that a focused design team, doing serious playtesting with well-designed surveys and actual statistical analysis, would be up to the challenge.

It is rare, in game design, for a single mechanic or subsystem to genuinely have the potential to solve multiple distinct problems in one go, much less distinct problems that seem to be irreconcilable. Novice levels are such a mechanic, and they absolutely should be implemented in all future updates to D&D.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
It’s a great setting! I would recommend picking up the adventure from them Winters Daughter. There’s a 5e version too

I did! It's really good. I can't wait for the full campaign to come out.

I'm getting hooked on Five Torches Deep, though, so I'll have to convert everything.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
That hasnt been true for decades.
And yet the specter looms large even to this day. There are a number of D&D fans who want things that are either outright incompatible or extremely difficult to make compatible. They want all the familiar spells that do all the familiar things (fireball is OP!), and they want magic to "feel magical," which almost always actually means they want it to feel unknown and mysterious. You can't have an unknown and mysterious forty-year-old traditional format.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
My 10 cents. Dont start with stats, skills and backgrounds. These subsystems take a lot of space on the character sheet, and can relatively easily be introduced once the players are more familiar to the game, and want to add mechanical effect of their concepts to the game.

Depending on the game style, the same might be done for inventory, and even equipment (simply saying a fighter have ac17 and do 1d10+2 damage on a hit might be enough details).

Add in preselection of prepared spells, and I think you have a game that is actualy significantly easier to start out with than even B/X, while giving essentially the samme in session experience as full blown 5ed.

Remove ads