D&D 5E Should D&D be easier to learn? If so, how would you do it?

Lycurgon

Adventurer
I think that rather than simplify the choices and rules for noobs, keep the rules the same and provide good noob guides/starter kits. If you simplify stuff then experienced players will not want to use it. Sure, experienced groups can just skip the intro levels but I don't think that helps the game. Noobs aren't noobs for long. Rearranging the game for them while making it worse for experienced players is bad because everyone that sticks with the game stops being a noob.

And some builds need choices made at the beginning or they don't work. My partners first character, she decided she wanted to be an Arcane Trickster. If she just started as a background and a race, where do you put your stats? She needs Dex for a Rogue. But for the Subclass she needs Int. If she doesn't pick correct, then the build doesn't work or needs to be changed after already playing for a few levels.

I think the better approach is to make starter guides with good builds for each class all layed out and ready to play. It tells you if you want a Rogue you build your character with X choices as you Level up. Give 2 builds per class. Here is how you build a healer Life Cleric and here is how you build a combat focused Cleric. Make the builds good. And explain how to play them, not just what choices to build it and put it on your character sheet. Give examples of good strategies. Explain that a Rogue with high initiative might want to ready an action to attack an opponent once another PC has engaged them in melee.

And make the builds good. The 1D&D playtest is trying to both simplify choices and give example builds but they are making bad choices. Like taking Spare the Dying Cantrip, and taking Cure Wounds instead of Healing Word.

Also include cheat sheets with common rules.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
And some builds need choices made at the beginning or they don't work. My partners first character, she decided she wanted to be an Arcane Trickster. If she just started as a background and a race, where do you put your stats? She needs Dex for a Rogue. But for the Subclass she needs Int. If she doesn't pick correct, then the build doesn't work or needs to be changed after already playing for a few levels.
This is one of the reasons I think it make more sense to ditch stats rather than class if anything should be simplified. Choice of class is intuitively simpler, and has a much larger impact on the game than the stats.

And it is not automatic that more experienced players shy away from simpler games. Indeed the entire OSR and FKR comunity is dominated by very experienced players explisitely looking for less rules to be in the way of their fun.

Remove ads