D&D 5E Should D&D be marketed like Coke, Ketchup, or Spaghetti Sauce?

Should D&D be treated like Coke, Ketchup, or Spaghetti Sauce?

• Coke (New Coke) – if you change it too much, it may be better, but it’s not D&D.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Spaghetti Sauce, there isn’t a perfect version of D&D, only best choice versions of D&D

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • Ketchup, D&D already hits all the tastes of its players, there is no better version than version X

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I can’t past Malcolm Gladwell’s hair

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Poll closed .

Celebrim

Legend
You don't make your own spaghetti sauce? :confused:

Growing up I lived in a 'make your own sauce household'. The thought of Ragu or similar jarred sauces was revolting.

My wife grew up in a Ragu household, knowing nothing of the wonders of homemade sauce.

When we got married, I convinced her to become a make your own sauce household. That lasted about 7-8 years I think, until we just got swamped with so many different responcibilities. I still can't stand Ragu, but since I no longer have a garden for fresh vegetables and don't can things myself, the difference between what I can do on the stove and what a $2.99 jar of sauce can do is pretty small. I still add to the concoction more herbs, more garlic, sauteed onions, beef, etc.

Interestingly, when it comes to PnP rules, I'm definately a 'make your own sauce' sort.

Last edited:

Blackbrrd

First Post
No. Why would I? Why would anyone?

The same reason you run home made adventures. To get them to your exact taste.

(In Norway you can't buy spaghetti sauces without about 10% sugar and 1% salt, which also means they aren't healthy and tastes like kiddy food. For my own sauce I use half a tea spoon of sugar as seasoning for 2-3 pounds of sauce and close to no salt.)

(In Norway you can't buy spaghetti sauces without about 10% sugar and 1% salt, which also means they aren't healthy and tastes like kiddy food. For my own sauce I use half a tea spoon of sugar as seasoning for 2-3 pounds of sauce and close to no salt.)

I prefer mine salty, with no sugar.

It is also fair to extend the spaghetti sauce analogy - if your spaghetti sauce isn't exactly to your taste, you can add things to improve it. And everyone can have their own. Almost nobody makes their own ketchup. Most people don't fix up their Coke except by adding booze to it.

Remove ads