D&D (2024) Should Forgotten Realms remain the default setting?

Keep FR or use something else?

• Keep FR

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • Give something else a shot

Votes: 40 50.6%

Haplo781

Legend
Forgotten Realms will have been the default setting for a full decade when 1DD releases. Sould WotC stick with it or give a different setting a turn?

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
I'd like to stick with it - but move focus AWAY from the Sword Coast. Give me content set in Cormyr, Sembia, the Dalelands, and the Dragon Coast with rich art and fantastic maps. Cormyr's already a great starting place for adventurers with their royal recognition of adventuring charters and everything. What Azoun are we up to in the Forest Kingdom? What new threats have emerged?

Yes, I know I could develop this content on my own on the DMsGuild, but it's nice to have WotC throw their considerable weight behind really fleshing out an area and adventure with all the resources they can bring to bear.

R_J_K75

Legend
I would prefer that there was no default setting at this point. Modules can stand on their own without needing to be attached to a previous setting. If they do insist on a previous setting then FR seems like the best option, Greyhawk fizzled out pretty quick when they tried using it for 3E. Adding a book to the 3 cores thats a deep dive on world building and adventure design would be better imo. There's already so many campaign settings out there I don't think we need a new one.

Third Edition D&D did a good job at keeping the PHB, the DMG and MM world neutral while producing campaign setting books separately. As each campaign setting book could then focus on things such as signature player character races (like Eberron's Kalashtar and Warforged), setting specific magic items, setting specific spells, etc.

What exactly does a default setting do for D&D?

Haplo781

Legend
They should create a new setting from scratch that has all the default assumptions in it rather than twist another setting into the new base assumptions.

Attachments

• 13275899 (1).jpg
    13275899 (1).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 55

R_J_K75

Legend
What exactly does a default setting do for D&D?
I think it limits the game. As far as I remember Greyhawk was where alot of the classic 1E AD&D adventures were set but there were others that were standalone and not set in any particular setting. Most people picked up a 32 pg module, ran it for a few sessions and moved on to the next and just strung them together with little regard to world at large. I'd like to see a return to that type of game to some extent.

Remove ads