• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Should Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade be in the new PHB?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Because it's a new PHB and people are asking if it should be in the PHB?
The question asked in the title of the OP was "Should GFB and BB be in the new PHB?" Since my personal opinion is that the amount of already existing material in the book should be minimal, my answer is therefore "No".

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Hopefully not. They occupy a bizarre designspace of giving a poor option to cantrip users while generally being either not very good or just kinda broken for weapon users depending on their class's ability to make a mockery of a nonstandard spells that happen to be called cantrips.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Tasha's versions are perfectly fine. Since they already exist, why reprint them?
Although WotC isn't going to cop to it until at least 2025, Xanathar's and Tasha's are not long for this world. They're pulling in the A+ material into the 2024 PHB and the A through B stuff is going to be in the first post-2024 Everything book, leaving only the scraps that only a few people like (or are unbalanced -- I wouldn't be surprised if they handled the Twilight cleric by simply letting its source book go out of print).

So the question is whether these two spells make it into the first cut or the second. I'd say Green Flame in the 2024 PHB and Booming Blade (maybe with new fluff) in the next Everything book.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Although WotC isn't going to cop to it until at least 2025, Xanathar's and Tasha's are not long for this world. They're pulling in the A+ material into the 2024 PHB and the A through B stuff is going to be in the first post-2024 Everything book, leaving only the scraps that only a few people like (or are unbalanced -- I wouldn't be surprised if they handled the Twilight cleric by simply letting its source book go out of print).

So the question is whether these two spells make it into the first cut or the second. I'd say Green Flame in the 2024 PHB and Booming Blade (maybe with new fluff) in the next Everything book.
That sounds ideal, since it means I can save money not buying the 2025 books as well. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The question asked in the title of the OP was "Should GFB and BB be in the new PHB?" Since my personal opinion is that the amount of already existing material in the book should be minimal, my answer is therefore "No".

You...think they shouldn't print all the standard spells in the new PHB and make new players to D&D buy both the new PHB and the old PHB to be able to play the game?

Come on, it's not an expansion book. It's supposed to include all the standard PHB stuff.

Remove ads