D&D (2024) Should Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade be in the new PHB?

Dausuul

Legend
Green-Flame Blade, definitely.

Booming Blade... eh, I guess. I've always found it bizarre and impossible to visualize -- what the heck is "booming energy?" And why does it only hurt you if you move 5 feet or more?

It wouldn't bug me as much if it weren't one of the only two weapon cantrips (especially considering the other deals fire damage, one of the most resisted types). If they have to put it in because tradition, fine, but either way, please give us a few more options for the arcane warrior than the same two we've had since 4E.

Last edited:

Booming Blade... eh, I guess. I've always found it bizarre and impossible to visualize -- what the heck is "booming energy?" And why does it only hurt you if you move 5 feet or more?
I feel it's more like a sheath of vibrational energy, or being hit by a booming blade makes one vibrate for a bit and is painful if they move from that spot.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Green-Flame Blade, definitely.

It's a trap. Like a shimmering wall of sound in a circle around you that will crash in on you like a wave if you move through it. I think I visualize it as sort of a bluish oily looking bubble that pops with a thunderous sound if you move through it. But why it doesn't pop if something else moves you through it? I dunno.

I agree that is a bit wonky but I think some special effects guys could work it out.

Remove ads