D&D 5E Should healing magic be based on HD or not?

Should healing magic spells be based on HD size?

• No. This allows different spells to heal different amounts, such as Healing Word's d4.

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Mixed. You can have some spells use HD size, but others don't. It doesn't need to be universal.

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Mixed. As above, but force a creature healed to spend its HD to benefit from the spell.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Yes. But creatures don't actually spend their HD when healed, it is just based on their HD size.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Yes. As above, but force a creature healed to spend its HD to benefit from the spell.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Other. Please explain in your response.

Votes: 5 6.0%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
AS much as I wasn't a fan back in the 80s, I now can embrace HP dice capping at a certain level and just getting a few points past that. As long as the damage is similarly scaled.

NotAYakk

Legend
Taking the maximum of CON score and die roll makes CON barely worth it for the martial classes, which doesn't seem to be what we want. It also requires record keeping of each roll in case your CON goes up later.
Reroll con bonus or lower is worth +0.5 per bonus point. So +5 con makes a 1d12 average 6.5+2.5=9.0, while 1d6 is worth 6.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Reroll con bonus or lower is worth +0.5 per bonus point. So +5 con makes a 1d12 average 6.5+2.5=9.0, while 1d6 is worth 6.
So we go for +CON to +1/2 CON on average, and now have to track all HP rolls to potentially adjust if CON increases. For simplicity if we want 1/2 CON mod, just do 1/2 CON mod.

Constitution does have an inverse relationship with Martials in 5e. Unless you're going full HP sponge or have subclass features that are based on yourcon modifier there's very little reason to raise it past 14 or 16. Which is probably where it started.
I think I've only seen two PCS with Constitution over 18. One was a Dick's baseball barbarian and the other was a paladin who was super paranoid about concentration checks. And both of them maxed another stat prior.

I know it's getting a little off topic but I think it's in the same will house because I think there's a lot of overlap with people trying to make hit die more important and also try to make Constitution feel more impactful. I wonder if there's a way you could whip up a system where your Constitution doesn't necessarily increase your HP directly but it increases the size of your hit die

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Thanks. It is pretty simple, obviously, so maybe that is the appeal?

Also, IME it captures the most common range of CON scores in PCs, being 12-16, which corresponds mostly to the most common HD type for classes (d8s and d10s).
I'd tweak the numbers a bit to fit the 5th Edition standard ability score range, but the overall idea is pretty great. Maybe something like:

d4: Constitution modifier -1 or lower
d6: Constitution modifier +0
d8: Constitution modifier +1 or +2
d10: Constitution modifier +3 or +4
d12: Constitution modifier +5

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases