Should I apply for the D&D 5e Community Manager position?

MGibster

Legend
I agree with D1Tremere. WotC is likely requiring both a BA and 3-7 years of experience because they expect a veritable flood of applicants and want to weed as many out as possible on the front end. I would have expected them to ask for a BA +2 years experience or 5+ years of experience but I'm not going to presume I know their business requirements better than they do.

A basic qualification is one that is objective in the sense that either you possess it or you don't. Do you have a BA is a yes or no question. Do you have 3-7 years of experience in games community management is a yes or no question. (Why they didn't just ask for 3+ years is a bit odd. Are they going to turn someone away who has 8 years experience?) If someone doesn't meet the basic qualifications I wouldn't call them in for an interview because it would be a waste of everyone's time. I can't hire that person.

One of the reasons I can't hire that person is because I might run afoul of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. If someone makes a complaint that we didn't hire them because of age, gender, or for another reason protected under federal law the EEOC might come knocking on my door. "Can we see the resumes of those you interviewed? How come you hired someone who didn't meet the basic qualifications of the position over candidates who met or exceeded them?" I'm going to have a hard time finding a reason that placates them EEOC.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
e5a.png

MGibster

Legend
I do have something positive to say. There are times when I have an applicant who isn't a good fit for the job they applied for but I think they'd be a good fit in another area. In those cases I'll invite the applicant to either apply for the other position or advise them that another position will open soon and encourage them to apply for that one. It doesn't hurt you at all to send them your resume.

Slit518

Adventurer
I do have something positive to say. There are times when I have an applicant who isn't a good fit for the job they applied for but I think they'd be a good fit in another area. In those cases I'll invite the applicant to either apply for the other position or advise them that another position will open soon and encourage them to apply for that one. It doesn't hurt you at all to send them your resume.

I am not sure if the HR at WotC does the same thing. That would be cool, though.

Remove ads