D&D 5E Should Intuition be a skill/ability?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm in agreement with most of the posters on this thread. Passive perception should handle this.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I can see a case for something like Intuition as, say, a subclass feature, or as some sort of metagame currency (or a possible use of same), but it isn't something I'd argue for, particularly, nor would I be likely to use it in 5E.

I would say Wisdom (Insight)...screams ‘gut feelings’.

Also, not to say that people are ‘playing wrong’ on Perception and Investigation, or that the ‘rules are wrong’, but a Wisdom (Perception) Check or Passive role should only reveal the most simplest of traps, like an open and non-concealed drop.

A Wisdom (Perception) check will reveal a detail that might warrant further investigation, like a 10’ section of tile inlaid on the floor that appears to be less worn than the rest of the floor around it, but not the fact it is a trap.

To determine the section of tile is to quote Admiral Ackbar: “ A Trap!”, should require an Intelligence (Investigation) check.

The essence of investigation, in general, not just in D&D, is Induction and Deduction; which are contained under the Intelligence statistic, not Wisdom.

If you are letting the wood elf Cleric with an Intelligence score lower than a carnivorous ape, spot complex traps and secret doors based off Wisdom, again, I won’t say you are playing wrong....but you are sure as the Nine Hells, not playing correctly.

Said Cleric, is certainly spotting details, but the cleric is not putting those details together to form a correct conclusion.

Most people, including the Official Modules seem to be placing Induction and Deduction under Wisdom, which seems demonstrably incorrect.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I would say Wisdom (Insight)...screams ‘gut feelings’.

Also, not to say that people are ‘playing wrong’ on Perception and Investigation, or that the ‘rules are wrong’, but a Wisdom (Perception) Check or Passive role should only reveal the most simplest of traps, like an open and non-concealed drop.

A Wisdom (Perception) check will reveal a detail that might warrant further investigation, like a 10’ section of tile inlaid on the floor that appears to be less worn than the rest of the floor around it, but not the fact it is a trap.

To determine the section of tile is to quote Admiral Ackbar: “ A Trap!”, should require an Intelligence (Investigation) check.

The essence of investigation, in general, not just in D&D, is Induction and Deduction; which are contained under the Intelligence statistic, not Wisdom.

If you are letting the wood elf Cleric with an Intelligence score lower than a carnivorous ape, spot complex traps and secret doors based off Wisdom, again, I won’t say you are playing wrong....but you are sure as the Nine Hells, not playing correctly.

Said Cleric, is certainly spotting details, but the cleric is not putting those details together to form a correct conclusion.

Most people, including the Official Modules seem to be placing Induction and Deduction under Wisdom, which seems demonstrably incorrect.

The way I break it down, based on my understanding of the rules is (and assuming the task has an uncertain outcome and a meaningful consequence for failure): Finding a hidden object (e.g. a trap) is Wisdom (Perception). Figuring out how a trap works, which is a requirement for learning how to properly disable it, is Intelligence (Investigation). Disabling it may be another check, depending on the approach (e.g. Dexterity (Thieves' Tools)). So every trap interaction is basically three tasks that may or may not include ability checks, plus time.

I tend to use Wis(Insight) for this. I like it because it reduces the load on Perception as THE adventuring skill. My players like it, because it makes the character feel special.

As iserith states, you have to be careful to avoid turning this into “the DM tells you the best approach to the challenge”, but it is doable.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
I didn't realize Wisdom already had that baked in (PHB p. 178):
"The DM might call for a Wisdom check when you try to accomplish tasks like the following:
Get a gut feeling about what course of action to follow"

It seems a general Wisdom is more suited than a Wisdom skill and won’t add additional bonuses.
I see some people saying Insight. Though insight does have that connotation IRL, mechanically it seems to only deal with reading people/creatures.

I get that you wouldn’t want it to overshadow spells, that’s why I mentioned doing it like a once per session Plot Point but am not sure if I like the player asking for it.

I’ve had players call for a Wisdom (Insight) or (Religion) check to ask for guidance if it is safe on the other side of a door.

The rules can easily handle this, and the request would absolutely be ‘in character’ for a devout persona.

DC is 20 for a Difficult task. The DM makes the roll in secret so the player receives no metagame information from the roll.

Wether the check is successful or not, the answer provided by the DM should be cryptic:
such as: “ You attempt to clear your mind and say the 3rd catechism of foresight, but your thoughts are anxious and troubled”....which might indicate a successful check and danger lurks beyond the door.

It is up to the player to decipher.

This is not nearly as powerful nor reliable as the 1st casting of Augury.

Jack of All Trades and the Guidance Cantrip apply.

Last edited:

plisnithus8

Adventurer
I’ve had players call for a Wisdom (Insight) or (Religion) check to ask for guidance if it is safe on the other side of a door.

The rules can easily handle this, and the request would absolutely be ‘in character’ for a devout persona.

DC is 20 for a Difficult task. The DM makes the roll in secret so the player receives no metagame information from the roll.

Wether the check is successful or not, the answer provided by the DM should be cryptic:
such as: “ You attempt to clear your mind and say the 3rd catechism of foresight, but your thoughts are anxious and troubled”....which might indicate a successful check and danger lurks beyond the door.

It is up to the player to decipher.

This is not nearly as powerful nor reliable as the 1st casting of Augury.

Jack of All Trades and the Guidance Cantrip apply.

Yes, this is more along the lines of what I was wanting.

Laurefindel

Legend
Between passive perception/investigation and insight I find the tingly feeling is covered.
I've been using a sliding scale of information giving on checks so no one feels like the 'fail' them. So even then 6 wisdom barbarian will get some guy feeling on the occult markings.
The barbarian’s Danger Sense, rogue’s Uncanny Dodge and Dungeon Delver feat also cover intuition to a certain extent.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I didn't realize Wisdom already had that baked in (PHB p. 178):
"The DM might call for a Wisdom check when you try to accomplish tasks like the following:
Get a gut feeling about what course of action to follow"

It seems a general Wisdom is more suited than a Wisdom skill and won’t add additional bonuses.
I see some people saying Insight. Though insight does have that connotation IRL, mechanically it seems to only deal with reading people/creatures.

I get that you wouldn’t want it to overshadow spells, that’s why I mentioned doing it like a once per session Plot Point but am not sure if I like the player asking for it.

The question I would ask myself about such a mechanic is "Why do I want to do this?" Is it because it plays into the theme of my campaign, which has something to do with the Gods of Fate manipulating the PCs into doing their will?

Or is it because my players hit dead ends a lot or are extremely risk averse and it hurts the pacing of the game? Is it because I'm not giving my players enough information to make reasonably informed choices? Are my plots too convoluted or my descriptions too vague?

Once you boil this down, you may be able to see an underlying problem that is better addressed than implementing this in the game. (Or not, as the case may be.)

Remove ads