• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should magic items stay out of the next PHB?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It saves the people only playing money by not requiring them to buy the book with the magic items in it.

Or, from the other perspective, keep them out of the players book so people who only play they don't have to pay for pages they'll only need a few entries from.

drothgery

First Post
Or, from the other perspective, keep them out of the players book so people who only play they don't have to pay for pages they'll only need a few entries from.
Meaningless argument when the PHB has always contained a hundred pages of spells / powers, 90% of which will never be seen in a given campaign.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Meaningless argument when the PHB has always contained a hundred pages of spells / powers, 90% of which will never be seen in a given campaign.

Significant compared to magic items that never get used? I don't think so. Besides, the players usually have a lot more ability to bring those spells into the campaign than they do magic items. They get to choose their classes and characters' spells, after all.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I guess I never felt that it made a difference. I've never played in any game of any edition where the DMG wasn't owned and frequently perused by players who either sometimes DM'd or simply owned it for the magical items.

*shrug* I definitely want them to more optional in DDN, rather than included in the core mathematical assumptions, but which book they're in is more a matter of space restrictions to me.
Need to spread more XP around.

This is pretty much the way I feel about it. I've mostly played in groups where half the players were GMs too.

Keldryn

Adventurer
No magic items in the PHB.

If the DM wants to treat magic items as equipment that players can purchase freely and include as part of their character "builds," then he can certainly do so. A DM is always free to exclude anything from his campaign, but excluding things from the core Player's Handbook can often be a hard sell to the players.

I like the idea of including a few legends about magic items in the player's book. That's a cool idea.

Asthetically, I want magic items in a completely separate book, like the Adventurers Vault, or the Magnificent Emporium.

It is much more pleasant to peruse when its a separate book.

Moreover, whether the DM gets to “control” this book, or the players, can depend on the decision of the group.

Only basic adventuring gear, including mundane weapons/implements and armors/shields, need to be in the Players Handbook. Anything else can go into the “treasure books”, whatever their name would be.

Last edited:

Some magic items -- common ones, like healing potions, scrolls, etc -- should be in the PHB to support PC magic items creation and explanation of how magic items play in the game.

Most magic items should be in the DMG to preserve "sense of wonder".

Remove ads