Should PCs from different RPGs be allowed to meet?

Can PCs from different RPGs meet?

• Yes

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Yes but...

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Yes and...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 4 8.9%

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I'm fine with a foe having new abilities, but having new rules sounds like it pushes on the metagaming barrier. It could be cool if it worked, though.
The rules are how we engage with the world- the characters wouldn't be aware of the foe's different rules any more than they're aware of saving throws- but they'd know that things weren't right.
The players of course would be hearing "make a save vs wand" or an old version of cloudkill

And frankly off the top of my head with the exception of more lethal spells, I struggle to think of how an enemy using, say, 2e rules would have an advantage over 5e characters. Maybe flipped AC or their saving throws being terribly different 😆

Oh, Time Stop and no concentration I suppose

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Then perhaps discussing games shouldn't be done... because there are a lot of those.
Mostly due to ignorance and/or incompetence; rarely, but still often enough, due to malice and/or self-gratification.
Nope. Bad GMs are not at all a reason to not discuss games.

Bad GMs are a table problem, a social problem, not a game problem.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I think you're trying to separate two things that don't separate that way. They're intermixed in a way a lot of people don't want to admit.
Regardless of your stance on player vs referee entitlement, power, etc...in games with referees, the referee is indistinguishable from the game. They are the game. No tabletop RPG will ever be any better or any worse than the referee running it.

doctorbadwolf

I think you're trying to separate two things that don't separate that way. They're intermixed in a way a lot of people don't want to admit.
And I think you’re conflating two things that are separate.

Toxic people don’t get less toxic because you switch from trad RPGs to Story First games, or vice versa, or go from rules light to heavy crunch.

Game design should never be held hostage by the specter of toxic participants.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Regardless of your stance on player vs referee entitlement, power, etc...in games with referees, the referee is indistinguishable from the game. They are the game. No tabletop RPG will ever be any better or any worse than the referee running it.

And on the inverse, it takes a very good GM to be able to make a game that's bad or just badly suited for the group work for them. The meme about "a good GM can make a good session out of anything" is doing a lot of heavy lifting with "good".

Thomas Shey

Legend
And I think you’re conflating two things that are separate.

Toxic people don’t get less toxic because you switch from trad RPGs to Story First games, or vice versa, or go from rules light to heavy crunch.

Game design should never be held hostage by the specter of toxic participants.

And I think you're conflating toxic and the simply problematic.

doctorbadwolf

And I think you're conflating toxic and the simply problematic.
Only as shorthand, bc the difference doesn’t matter in this context.

Bad GM, bad player, whatever, it’s a table and social issue. The game rules should never be changed just to try to deal with things that people problems and not mechanics problems.

Remove ads