Should PCs from different RPGs be allowed to meet?

Can PCs from different RPGs meet?

• Yes

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Yes but...

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Yes and...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 4 8.9%

Thomas Shey

Legend
Only as shorthand, bc the difference doesn’t matter in this context.

And I think it very much does. You can work around problematic players. I've done it on and of for decades. But a bad system can make that job immensely harder.

Bad GM, bad player, whatever, it’s a table and social issue. The game rules should never be changed just to try to deal with things that people problems and not mechanics problems.

And I think that's nonsense. A rules set can mitigate social problems or make them worse, and like any other tool that is designed for usage, failure states that can be mitigated and aren't are bad design.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And I think it very much does. You can work around problematic players. I've done it on and of for decades. But a bad system can make that job immensely harder.

And I think that's nonsense. A rules set can mitigate social problems or make them worse, and like any other tool that is designed for usage, failure states that can be mitigated and aren't are bad design.
Okay

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm running two games with different RPGs and had a thought: I can increase my prep efficiency if I have only one setting to develop instead of two. This can extend to PCs in one game becoming NPCs in the other. But what if one set of PCs gets really involved with the PCs of the other game? What if they want to adventure together? Will it cause a fissure in fantasy spacetime? Can they meet and just socialize? Fight each other? Hunt monsters together? The Rule of Cool says yes. What do you say?
If people are having fun, then yes.

I've already used the excellent Stygian Library in a 5E game and expect to use it in Shadowdark later this year, with it being the same place each time. From there, it's not a long distance to having characters from different systems at least pass in gloom of the library.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
hello and Happy new Tear !
I think there are mainly two types of rules system :
the Class-based
and
the Point-based

you could easily rule that, if a PC's Alignment is Lawful he should follow a Class-based system,
while if Chaotic would refer to a point-based system;
a Class-based system could be converted to a point-based system like how Package Deals were used in Champions 4th Ed ( call it Hero Rules )
Voilà :)

aramis erak

Legend
hello and Happy new Tear !
I think there are mainly two types of rules system :
the Class-based
and
the Point-based
You've missed the random attributes which generate skills but which are not point spend or only use a point pool to increase from some random generated baseline.
Games like WFRP 1, RuneQuest 1e/2e/3e, Drakar och Demoner 1-3, Dragonbane/Drakar och demoner 4.
And the random lifepath games, such as Traveller, Space Opera, FASA Star Trek...
And the utterly random, such as TSR MSH/AMSH - where you get what you rolled.

Thomas Shey

Legend
You've missed the random attributes which generate skills but which are not point spend or only use a point pool to increase from some random generated baseline.
Games like WFRP 1, RuneQuest 1e/2e/3e, Drakar och Demoner 1-3, Dragonbane/Drakar och demoner 4.
And the random lifepath games, such as Traveller, Space Opera, FASA Star Trek...
And the utterly random, such as TSR MSH/AMSH - where you get what you rolled.

I also suspect "point based" is doing some heavy lifting there in some cases.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Are we saying that PCs from some games can meet while those from other games cannot?

Class or point based, I'd be happier introducing PCs that have similar levels of magic/power. An inequality in that aspect could be intimidating.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Are we saying that PCs from some games can meet while those from other games cannot?

Class or point based, I'd be happier introducing PCs that have similar levels of magic/power. An inequality in that aspect could be intimidating.

There are a lot of factors that can play in here; in a lot of fantasy games the combat power at least for starting characters is often seriously lower than the starting combat capability in most SF games (though the latter tends to be flatter over time). And that isn't getting into the question of characters from superhero and quasi-superhero settings.

Remove ads