D&D (2024) Should poison spray be a cone?

Should poison spray be a cone?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No, keep it an attack

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.4%

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I imagine more this
03F0D582-C6D2-4A38-A305-00FB06F25273.jpeg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The new acid splash does 1d6 damage in a 5' cube. So there's your metric. Reduce poison spray to 1d6 damage in a 15' cone.
A 5’ cube covers 4 squares on a grid. A 15’ cone covers approximately 6 squares on a grid. So that’s potentially stronger, though with poison damage being more frequently resisted than acid that might be a reasonable tradeoff.

mellored

Legend
A 5’ cube covers 4 squares on a grid. A 15’ cone covers approximately 6 squares on a grid. So that’s potentially stronger, though with poison damage being more frequently resisted than acid that might be a reasonable tradeoff.
You're also looking at melee vs 60".

So I would say 15', d8 would be right.
Especially if it's a Con save.
I guess should maybe be called poison squirt/spurt than poison spray, mm?
Poison Puff?

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
To be honest why would you ever take this spell at this short of a range with a con saving throw and poison damage even if it was a cone effect.
Acid spalsh with its 5ft radius is hitting 4 squars with a dex save and a decent range even if it is only d6. It had a better chance to deal damage, not quite as many max targets but I doubt you would actually get more than one extra at max and it can be used at range and is not just a cone effect.

Yaarel

He Mage
A 5-foot cube is one square. A 10-foot cube is four squares.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I just read the playtest version, so now I understand what the OP is talking about. It's okay with a longer range and an attack roll instead of a saving throw, but I don't prefer it, so I chose "other", meaning keep the 2014 version. By using a save, that version allowed it to be used in melee as a "reach" cantrip, possibly as part of a surprise attack. The playtest version is just another ranged cantrip.

Eta: The reason I'm not choosing "yes" is, as I posted up-thread, with only a 10' range, I don't think an AoE is needed or helpful for adjudication. However, it could be thought of as a 7.5' cone, but if more than one creature is within the AoE, I'd say the caster has to choose one as the target.

Last edited:

Remove ads