D&D 5E Should rage ignore exhaustion while you are raging?

FightKing

First Post
What do you think? Should rage ignore exhaustion while you are raging? It would sure make the Path of the Berserker a little bit more viable...

DaveDash

Explorer
Path of the Berserker is still viable. We have one in our party and he does obscene damage when he frenzies.

It's godly at lower levels (3 attacks at level 5....). But it does drop off a bit in later levels because the Barbarian can be shut down too easily, since he doesn't get any mitigating abilities (like ability to shake off fear). But that's not an issue with exhaustion. The exhaustion mechanic is OK.

1 level of exhaustion isn't really that bad, so it effectively becomes a 2/day mechanic (one during the day, one when you're sure you will rest).

The only change I'd make is perhaps that a long rest reduces all exhaustion if induced by rage, instead of just one level. After all you can't rage so bad that you tire yourself out for days - unlike starvation or whatever.

Last edited:

Coredump

Explorer
Ignoring the viability discussion, I think it would be cool if Frenzy ignored exhaustion. I also think you should be able to Frenzy the turn you Rage.

EvanNave55

Explorer
I don't remember the exact effects of the varying degrees of exhaustion, however I think it'd make sense for one to ingnore two or three levels of exhaustion while raging. It makes sense that you see someone who is so tired that not even hte bloodrush and adrenaline of battle can negate it, but once the battles over they literally die from exhaustion.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I think frenzy should ignore exhaustion. Even the dead from exhaustion level. This is especially cool if you use the "getting knocked out causes a level of exhaustion" variant.

I also think that frenzying should not be an action, allowing the extra attack on the turn you start it.

DaveDash

Explorer
I can't see how the berserker can compete with the bear totem barb anyhow, so I'm all for it.

The Frenzy Barbarian is a DPR build.

The Bear Totem is a tank build.

I happen to think the former is better earlier in the game, and the later is better the later in the game. Disadvantage on ability checks (1 level of Exhaustion) isn't really that big of a deal really. We always have access to Enhance Ability if the Barb really needs to pass some sort of ability check while exhausted.

Beyond that though, yeah, things tend to suck.

CapnZapp

Legend
The Frenzy Barbarian is a DPR build.

The Bear Totem is a tank build.
Well, we're using feats in my game, and with GWM the barbarian is at the top of damage already.

That extra damage from the frenzy feels so-not-worth-it **by a mile** compared to **double frikkin hit points**, again considering he's doing top damage already.

And that's way before taking exhaustion into the equation.

Your mileage may vary.

Remove ads