• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Should shields, like Simple weapons be available to all characters?

Should shields, like Simple weapons be available to all characters?

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
yeah, one solution could be to link it to light armor.
At least for Nordic-esque cultures, kids grow up from around the age of 8 learning how to fight, including Athletics wrestling. Adolescents are very likely to know how to handle a shield without being familiar with light armor.

a shield is as difficult to use properly as is a sword, so no I wouldn't give it to everyone, especially bookish wizards who need to focus their hands and learning on spells. Besides they already get the Shield spell.
Yes. That is why a choice between shield training or proficiency with one martial weapon, or one cantrip, is appropriate at level 0.

Keep in mind a shortsword is a simple weapon, and many kids are likely learn a shield and shortsword.

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
It is available to everyone, as a level 1 feat.
I didnt see a level 0 combat feat in the playtest?

I am under the impression that all feats in the 2014 Players Handbook now count as level 4 feats, unless the playtest offers a level 0 version of a feat.

mellored

Legend
I didnt see a level 0 combat feat in the playtest?

I am under the impression that all feats in the 2014 Players Handbook now count as level 4 feats, unless the playtest offers a level 0 version of a feat.
In the expert packet.

LIGHTLY ARMORED 1st-Level Feat
Prerequisite:None
Repeatable:No
You gain the following Armor Training: Light Armor, Medium Armor, and Shield.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
At least for Nordic-esque cultures, kids grow up from around the age of 8 learning how to fight, including Athletics wrestling. Adolescents are very likely to know how to handle a shield without being familiar with light armor.

Nordic 'Viking' cultures are one that I dont see as having many 'wizards' (at least not male ones). The Norse didnt even have a dedicated priesthood, instead the chiefs and elders lead ritual life.

Its said though that Druids took more than 20 years to train and irl Shaloin monks sstart training from as young as 4. So I'd think in a culture where Wizard apprentices are a thing we might see those 8 year olds taken away from the wrestling and wooden swords of their age-peers and instead dedicated to a life of gathering herbs, studying the movement of stars and eldritch mathematics before graduating to gust and presdigitation

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
Nordic 'Viking' cultures are one that I dont see as having many 'wizards' (at least not male ones). The Norse didnt even have a dedicated priesthood, instead the chiefs and elders lead ritual life.

Its said though that Druids took more than 20 years to train and irl Shaloin monks sstart training from as young as 4. So I'd think in a culture where Wizard apprentices are a thing we might see those 8 year olds taken away from the wrestling and wooden swords of their age-peers and instead dedicated to a life of gathering herbs, studying the movement of stars and eldritch mathematics before graduating to gust and presdigitation
I dont know why Non-Norse often assume Norse are nonmagical.

In fact, mythologically accurate Norse are highly magical, especially D&D 5e Bard without the musical instruments, and the nature beings and some humans learning from them tend to be D&D 5e Druid. Meanwhile, Psionics is everywhere, albeit telekinesis and force flight are rare.

Norse are animists, and animism is innately magical.

In fact, mythologically accurate Norse are highly magical, especially D&D 5e Bard without the musical instruments, and the nature beings and some humans learning from them tend to be D&D 5e Druid. Meanwhile, Psionics is everywhere, albeit telekinesis and force flight are rare.

Real live Norse people didn't actually cast spells. D&D is a world where that takes time, which is why casters generally get less of other stuff. If someone wants a Norse inspired wizard to use a shield, spend the 1st level feat on it, make them a mountain dwarf, give them a multiclass dip, etc.

I don't think we just need to hand out a free +2 AC to multiple classes who weren't using their offhand for much anyways.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Depending on the culture, every one by age 12 should know how to use a shield.
i don't see what anyone's culture has anything to do with their class proficencies, a wizard would learn how to use magic, not shields and armour, if you want shield proficiency to be cultural then put the shield proficiency in a culture section

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

I didnt say not magical I said not Wizards - in DnD half of the Barbarian subclasses are magical and as you state Bards and Druids are too (both of whom have shield proficiency)

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
Real live Norse people didn't actually cast spells. D&D is a world where that takes time, which is why casters generally get less of other stuff. If someone wants a Norse inspired wizard to use a shield, spend the 1st level feat on it, make them a mountain dwarf, give them a multiclass dip, etc.

I don't think we just need to hand out a free +2 AC to multiple classes who weren't using their offhand for much anyways.
Reallife Norse people cast spells. There are many runic examples, where they focused their magical intention into objects.

Feminine shamanic magic is specifically mind control (seiðr), much like the D&D enchantment and illusion schools. Masculine warrior magic is song (ljóð), which is much like the D&D abjuration school with protective and healing spells even resurrection. It is common for individuals to learn the magical traditions of the other gender.

Everyone with second sight (ófreski) − psionic divination − enjoys high status, whether male or female.

Manifesting animal forms is a pervasive trope.

There are many examples of normal Norse people doing magical affects, as well as powerful mages who are skilled at various kinds of magic.

Remove ads