• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Should the PHB have an arcane half caster?

Should One DnD have an arcane half caster in the PHB?

• There should be an arcane half caster in the PHB.

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • There should be an arcane half caster, but not in the PHB.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • One DnD should never have an arcane half caster.

Votes: 13 13.8%

Vaalingrade

Legend
How come you dislike the entire concept of half casters?

They're personally my favourite type of class. You get to be a caster without all the cheesy campaign destroying overpowered spells, while also working that magic into other mechanics.

Edit: But yeah, the ODD spell lists are looking awful already. Bard basically being a wizard with a guitar.
If half casters was the only kind of caster, it'd be fine.

But trying to play a half caster, who gets spells so late in the game that they're meaningless because there's another class that's just plain better at what you're trying to do? Not for me.

I still remember the 3e Bard getting Shadow Evocation, Dominate, etc ten thousand years after the Wizard got it. And that was my favorite class, just not for any of the spellcasting.

The choice is pretty simple:
Take a class already in the PHB, make it an arcane half-caster.

I'd go either with Warlock or Bard, myself.

Warlock doesnt gain much from their ''full'' spellcasting anyways. Remove ''mystic arcanum'', keep them at 2 slots per SR if need be and give them more Invocations. Keep them either as a CHA-caster or move them to INT-casting.

The sorcerer could be a good solution too, since them being full spellcasters dont help in differentiating them from other full spellcaster. Change them to half-casters with special defenses and attacks based on their origin. Having scales and at-will breath weapon, or blinking effect and at-will chaos bolt could be awesome and way more than yet another caster who can cast Earthquake!
Sorcerer was kind of a half caster in the initial 5e playtest. Just using will points rather than spell slots.

People complained so we got a wizard clone instead.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
And now 5.5e is going to be 'Oops, all Wizard clones!'
As we've seen with the species, I think that there wont be much cases where your character use no spells.

I wont panic or throw hot takes, but as someone who dont care much for magic as presented in D&D, if all classes have feature referencing spells, I think I'll move out to another system.

Vaalingrade

Legend
As we've seen with the species, I think that there wont be much cases where your character use no spells.

I wont panic or throw hot takes, but as someone who dont care much for magic as presented in D&D, if all classes have feature referencing spells, I think I'll move out to another system.
I'm more focused on all the onerous spell prep being foisted on the good classes.

I've always felt Bard was more 'occult' themed than arcane, to put it in Pathfinder language. I do wish Bard was an 'occult' half caster though.

The one dnd Bard is literally just looking like wizard clone version 2. After the sorcerer being wizard clone version 1.

The playtest sorcerer is another good arcane half caster option. So there are three choices for WotC to ignore!

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
The choice is pretty simple:
Take a class already in the PHB, make it an arcane half-caster.

I'd go either with Warlock or Bard, myself.

Warlock doesnt gain much from their ''full'' spellcasting anyways. Remove ''mystic arcanum'', keep them at 2 slots per SR if need be and give them more Invocations. Keep them either as a CHA-caster or move them to INT-casting.

The sorcerer could be a good solution too, since them being full spellcasters dont help in differentiating them from other full spellcaster. Change them to half-casters with special defenses and attacks based on their origin. Having scales and at-will breath weapon, or blinking effect and at-will chaos bolt could be awesome and way more than yet another caster who can cast Earthquake!
i like sorcerer and warlock as they are right now as full casters, i mean sorcerer could get some extra abilities to define it but not in that way, i would like bard as a half caster but not as the arcane half caster, being a full caster is a little much for a jack of all trades class imo,

Remove ads