D&D 5E Signs & Portents (that we can read into) about the ETA of 5E

Mercurius

Legend
I can't help but think we're going to see something sooner than is commonly thought (GenCon 2014). OK, not quite yet, but let's see...

*Final playtest packet in September

*Dungeon/Dragon on hiatus, starting in December

*Last DDI update in February

....hmm, all that would at least imply publication in 2014. I simply cannot imagine them going another whole year without publishing any (new) D&D stuff, or going more than a few months with total "blackout." 2014 GenCon seems to be the most likely and talked about speculated date, but I'm also wondering if we might see something sooner - a preliminary starter product earlier in the year. Maybe even, as was done with 4E and, I think, 3E, a June publication date?

What do you think? Any other hints that we can read too much into?

Mercurius

Legend
Another thought that crossed my mind is that they could come out with a beta product, one that is semi-finished, that would allow them to kill two birds with one stone: Increase excitement about the game and get another round of feedback to make sure they've got it right.

Mercurius

Legend
Right, I forgot about Dragonspear (wish I owned it). The more I think about it, the more I feel that June could be right on, with a further release and 40th anniversary celebration at GenCon.

What I'd like to see them do this time, however, is come out with the introductory set first (June) and then the Holy Trinity at GenCon.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'll echo the sentiment; I hope they do an early, beta release and then use feedback from that to tweak the full ruleset. There is testing ongoing, of that I have no doubt. They're sending out different pieces of the rules to their alpha playtesters, and there's still ongoing tweaks. But the bits and pieces evaluated on their own would pale in comparison to an overview of the whole rules and how they mesh.

Perhaps a red-box type product covering the basic game would be a good first release, allowing anything that needs tweaking in a big way to be addressed before the final rules come out? Or perhaps another adventure, including some D&D next beta rules (ala Ghosts of Dragonspear)? I hope 5th Edition doesn't get rushed out to meet some arbitrary GenCon deadline.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
So, a 5th Edition, and then a 5.5 edition?

I see merit in the idea, but I can't help but to think that wouldn't be received very well.

Nah, not quite. I'm talking a 'Beginner's Set' then a 'Standard Set'. Not separated by years, but instead by 6 months or so. Put 5th Edition out for Christmas 2014, and tweak anything that needs to be tweaked. That way we won't need a D&D 5.5.

Remove ads