• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Silver Spring Hobby & Games Closes Its Doors

Roland55

First Post
We lost another Brick and Mortar location earlier this week as Milwaukee game store Silver Spring Hobby & Games closed its doors. How's the situation for B&M stores in your area over the last few years?

http://www.virtualmagic.net/

That's a real shame!:.-(

In my area, last week saw the end of the second store front for our popular gamer hang-out: Game Parlor.

Fortunately, the original store is still open.

I visit there when I can to support the owner. That place needs to stay open, even if it is 25 miles from my home.

SolitonMan

Explorer
That's a real shame!:.-(

In my area, last week saw the end of the second store front for our popular gamer hang-out: Game Parlor.

Fortunately, the original store is still open.

I visit there when I can to support the owner. That place needs to stay open, even if it is 25 miles from my home.

I did a double-take when I saw this - can you please clarify? I haven't been there in years but spent a lot of time at the Game Parlor in Chantilly in the late 90s. It was an awesome space, lots of great products and plenty of tables for gaming.

Are you saying that Chantilly is still open but they had another location that closed? Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

Roland55

First Post
I did a double-take when I saw this - can you please clarify? I haven't been there in years but spent a lot of time at the Game Parlor in Chantilly in the late 90s. It was an awesome space, lots of great products and plenty of tables for gaming.

Are you saying that Chantilly is still open but they had another location that closed? Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

My communication skills are atrophying.

Yes, the original Chantilly location is open and running. It's the Woodbridge store front that closed down.

Confusion is becoming my middle name!

SolitonMan

Explorer
My communication skills are atrophying.

Yes, the original Chantilly location is open and running. It's the Woodbridge store front that closed down.

Confusion is becoming my middle name!

Thanks for clearing it up for me Roland; honestly your original message was clear to most everyone who doesn't overthink things I'm sure ;)

Always a shame to see any game stores closing in my opinion - well, any well-run and friendly ones anyway. I'm sure we've all encountered that type of individual working at a game store who isn't about providing quality service, but instead one-upping all comers as to their vast and superior experience with the gaming industry (I'm sorry - did that sound at all bitter?).

In the State College, PA area the one store dedicated to games closed its doors some time back - that was Nittany Line Hobbies, which was an ok place with a good selection, but it just couldn't hang on in the economy of the last few years. Comic Swap is still open, but it's more about Comics though they do run Friday Night Magic each week. I've just started back into that, so tonight will hopefully be a fun time. :)

I actually live about 30 miles south of State College, in the Huntingdon area, and there's nothing even close to that location. I've been thinking about looking at the possibility of opening a store, but I need to get a feel for the support it might get. At the moment I have no idea of how many gamers (or potential gamers) live in the area. But that's a task for another day...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads