• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Simple Brief Spell Stat Blocks

ren1999

First Post
If spell stat blocks like this were in the description of the monster, it would save me about 30 minutes of prep time looking up each spell and condition.

Example, The Mage from the New Horde Supplement.

Fireball DC8+int+3+pro+3(DC14) vs dex for half damage 1action 1slot3 150 ft. 20 ft. radius fire damage 8d6

I'm friggin' beggin' yah hea.

I think that if you assume the DM has some system mastery and that some spells are going to stick in your mind, you can dumb it down even further:

Fireball (3rd Lvl; DC14, 8d6, dex save halves)

Quickleaf

Legend
If spell stat blocks like this were in the description of the monster, it would save me about 30 minutes of prep time looking up each spell and condition.

Example, The Mage from the New Horde Supplement.

Fireball DC8+int+3+pro+3(DC14) vs dex for half damage 1action 1slot3 150 ft. 20 ft. radius fire damage 8d6

I'm friggin' beggin' yah hea.

Personally something like this strikes me as the sweet spot:

Fireball (3): 150 ft range; 20 ft radius; 8d6 fire damage, Dex DC 14 for half.

Several spells, however, cannot be abbreviated so easily. Confusion or Prismatic Spray, for example.

However, I think they've mostly limited spell lists to actual casters, not monsters with spell-like abilities. So maybe a more appropriate solution is a resource independent from monster writeups? Something like a digital tool where you can select which spells the monster has, then print them out as a spell list with abbreviated form. That strikes me as a good tool to include in Morningstar actually.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads