• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple, (hopefully) balanced Vow of Poverty Houserules!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
No, not the feat. And no, dear god no, not the awful Pathfinder version for monks. I'm talking about something that doesn't suck and makes playing a character that doesn't come decked out in magic items possible.

[sblock]Vow of Poverty: You swear to forsake the use of all magic items, seeing them as wasteful extravagances in a world where many lack even a few coppers to purchase food. At 1st level, you gain a starting wealth of 100 gp (regardless of class, no more than half on any one item) spent on mundane, non-masterwork gear as you see fit. Should you expend or lose any items, you may replenish your supplies after spending at least 8 hours in a civilized area, up to the 100 gp value limit, including changing what gear it is.

Benefit: You gain boons equivalent to what masterwork and magical items could grant. Starting at 2nd level, based on the wealth per level for your level in gp, you gain an equal amount of "essence points." Select benefits equal to what you could have achieved through purchasing items of that value, with a limit of 1/3 your "essence points" or less on any one "item." You must pay the masterwork cost before adding enhancements to any arms or armor. You can only select continuous, unlimited use-activated or command word activated , or uses per day items. You cannot select expendable items such as wands, potions, and so forth. You may completely change your benefits each time you level up, otherwise your selections cannot be altered. All of these benefits are Su abilities and are suppressed in an antimagic field. If you imbue items such as weapons with this essence, they function as masterwork/magical items only for you.

Drawbacks: You lack the flexibility of using expendable items. Your effective wealth for any given level remains at the minimum expected level for the entire time you are at that level, before bumping up as you level, while as a normal character sees gradual increase in wealth and power over the course of the level.

Special: You cannot give your share of treasure to allies, it must be donated to the poor, used for charitable causes, and so forth. This vow requires no feat or class feature cost to select, it is meant to be a balanced option w/ using magic items. You must not willingly use or possess masterwork or magical items in order to retain these benefits, though you can receive helpful spells from allies if the spell has no expensive material component or focus costs. Should you willingly break this vow, you immediately lose all benefits until you receive an atonement spell.[/sblock]

The goal again is a simple, balanced means to play a character that can be effective without being draped in items galore. While there would be much book keeping between level ups, there would be none at all otherwise. I think the loss in flexibility is enough to justify the inherent benefits of "magic items without needing items." Of course, these rules were written assuming a game that roughly follows the wealth by level charts. If you do not, you could feel free to adjust how much essence is gained at each level based upon what other party members have. (Side note: this could also be an excellent way to include more humanoid classed NPCs in the game w/o blowing PC wealth off the charts. I personally love using such NPCs for the tactics and banter they bring, but often find I have to limit their usage with slobbering dumb penniless brute monsters or grievously underequip them and thus make them less effective, just to keep the PCs' wealth from EXPLODING)

Please let me know what you think of this, and I could add questions and answers to the Q&A:

Q: Does the VoP character need to wear an item in order to receive its analogous benefit? For example, needing to wear goggles if he selects to spend his essense points on goggles of darkvision?
A: No. He is under no obligation to wear or possess items of the slot being used. The exception is weapons and armor (unless the weapon is unarmed or natural), which must be specifically imbued and wielded/worn.

Q: What if the VoP character wants more than one item effect that occupies the same body slot?
A: Then he would have to pay +50% on each effect after the first, just as he would if he were paying for a magic item with those properties.

Q: You said armor and weapons are imbued on their own instead of being internalized. So if they are lost, stolen, broken...?
A: Hope you had imbued some back ups. Once you level up, you can completely reassign your essence points and recoup the loss, but until then, you will have to suffer without the item.

Q: One of the common problems with the "christmas tree" is just that. You light up like crazy under a detect magic spell, making stealth and disguise sometimes difficult. Is the VoP not burdened by this?
A: I'm not sure yet if he should be or not. Seems like a relatively infrequently important fringe thing, so for now I'll just err on the side of less powerful and say, "Even though his magic would be internalized, it's still magic, and he'd light up like a christmas tree, too."

Last edited:

HoboGod

First Post
Sounds simple enough. You say that this character can't receive helpful spells with expensive material components, what about resurrection spells? Would you have broken your VoP upon returning to life?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Does this put more control in the hands of the player for "Finding those exact magic items I've always wanted" bypassing the DM's ability to control the supply and availability of a particular magic item?

Because buying a magic item, without having to go through the hassle of having to find it, or discussing with the DM if you're allowed to have it, sounds nifty if I think like a player and potentially a headache if I think like a DM.

Which is why as a DM I dislike PC Artificers.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Sounds simple enough. You say that this character can't receive helpful spells with expensive material components, what about resurrection spells? Would you have broken your VoP upon returning to life?

Yes. Raise spells fail if you don't choose to come back. If someone can raise you, there's a good chance they can also cast atonement on you, though.

Does this put more control in the hands of the player for "Finding those exact magic items I've always wanted" bypassing the DM's ability to control the supply and availability of a particular magic item?

Because buying a magic item, without having to go through the hassle of having to find it, or discussing with the DM if you're allowed to have it, sounds nifty if I think like a player and potentially a headache if I think like a DM.

Which is why as a DM I dislike PC Artificers.

Yes. But a DM that doesn't accomodate reasonable item desires of the players is just screwing over noncasters mostly, casters can make their own stuff and are less gear reliant, as your Artificer comment alludes to. :)

I figure such a DM would never implements rules like this in their game anyway and is not my "target audience."

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Yes. But a DM that doesn't accomodate reasonable item desires of the players is just screwing over noncasters mostly, casters can make their own stuff and are less gear reliant, as your Artificer comment alludes to. :)

I figure such a DM would never implements rules like this in their game anyway and is not my "target audience."

I'll be honest, I like this version more than the official V.o.P. I do have one concern, can you activate/deactivate these magical effects the one one could put on or remove magical gear?

For example, if I get this feat correctly, I could replicate the Blindfold of True Darkness, a 9,000gp item that has a constant effect Blindsight at the sacrifice of actual vision. It's up there on my list of favorite items. However, I'd never want to have the Blindfold (or it's effects) ALWAYS on. Would I be locked into having it equipped until I level up?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
As currently written, and intended, the effects are always on and cannot be turned off. Another drawback/hindrance limiting it. I would be open to adding the ability to turn them off if people thought it would still be balanced.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
As currently written, and intended, the effects are always on and cannot be turned off. Another drawback/hindrance limiting it. I would be open to adding the ability to turn them off if people thought it would still be balanced.
The way I'm understanding this feat, you're losing the benefit of having and using expendable gear for gaining the ability to not need to go out and purchase something. If this is the tradeoff, I think it's even.
Adding that the equipment is fixed on (I understand not "Buying" and "Selling" trading gear whenever you want being the requirement for switching only at level) but never being able to take off and put on the effects when you want, sounds like too much of a limit for me to use this Vow of Poverty.

That's my 2 cents. I'd just rather find the vendor, spend the gold and carry the weight.

HoboGod

First Post
The way I'm understanding this feat, you're losing the benefit of having and using expendable gear for gaining the ability to not need to go out and purchase something. If this is the tradeoff, I think it's even.
Adding that the equipment is fixed on (I understand not "Buying" and "Selling" trading gear whenever you want being the requirement for switching only at level) but never being able to take off and put on the effects when you want, sounds like too much of a limit for me to use this Vow of Poverty.

That's my 2 cents. I'd just rather find the vendor, spend the gold and carry the weight.

Oh, I agree, but some people GENUINELY want to role play out the altruistic wanderer who has no use for worldly goods, think Rurouni Kenshin.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Oh, I agree, but some people GENUINELY want to role play out the altruistic wanderer who has no use for worldly goods, think Rurouni Kenshin.
But an altruistic wanderer who is locked into a set of magical effects that he can't change except when he levels? He can't even turn off/suppress?

...Honestly, it's still better than the original V.o.P. Ok, I guess it's worth considering.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What would you say is balanced and simple enough to use in game? Could make it a move or standard action to turn off each individual "item" or back on, perhaps.

Also, I'm sure you were just calling it that out of convenience for lack of a better term, but this is not a "feat." It costs nothing to obtain, it's just a choice the player makes with its own upsides and downsides.

Remove ads