• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple Saving Throw Modifers/Dragon Magazine

kreynolds

First Post
tarcil said:
Wow...I didn't think I would get this much hostility from a simple query.

Tarcil, I didn't mean to bite your head off, so I apologize. Here's where I'm coming from though. If you and your party have definitive spells lists, and/or a finite amount of known spells, and/or some scrolls, and/or potions, you should work with what you have. Take a look at your resources and do the research, meaning look up the spells and see which ones can help you.

What irks me is when someone is faced with a dilemma and they use out-of-game-knowledge to solve that dilemma. It kinda goes against the concept of role-playing. For example, say you get some kind of curse in game but you don't know how to get rid of it. Now, in between sessions, you go online and ask how to get rid of the curse. You get your replys and put all the info together. Then, at the next gaming session, you whip out your material (boy does that sound bad) and say, "I go into town to purchase a Scroll of Blah Blah, some Blah herbs, a red candle, and a 100gp saphire to make the potion to get rid of this curse". I would then begin to question how your character attained such knowledge, especially when the game has just started.

Like I said, I didn't really mean to bite your head off. I just questioned your motives.

tarcil said:
I would like to point out that in a sage advice somewhere, it gives exact spells to cast so as to get a better saving throw after that 24 hours

I don't have a problem with that either. So long as you role-play it out and do your research, whatever, in game, that's fine with me.

Anyhow, just ignore my ranting. It was a weird day. ;)

tarcil said:
Please remember, what some people seem to not understand, or maybe take the 'role' part too seriously, is that I am looking to play within the rules.

What you need to understand, however, is that metagaming is also usually performed within the rules as well, so it doesn't make it any better.

Anyways, look through all of your available resources and see if you have anything that can increase your Con or Fort saves. That's your best bet. If you have to, pause your party's adventuring for the day and do nothing but repeatedly cast your spells to maintain the max benefits from those spells while you make your saves. Just know that you're bound to fail on at least one save, so I would recommend that you put that wand to use. You can always buy or make another one. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads