D&D 5E Simulating a Bullethell in 5e

I'm a fan of the old ps2 game redstar.

In particular, I love how many of the bosses are just walls with guns.

So I'm trying to figure out a way to simulate "bullet hell" in dnd 5e.

here's what I got so far:
1. The guns themselves move very little if at all.
2. The guns generate multiple flaming spheres at the top of their round. They originate from the point of the gun, but transverse out in a square spread (ex gun is mounted on the north wall, it would spray out west, southwest, south, southeast, and east).
3. These spheres move 30 feet on their action in the direction pointed..
4. The gun gets multiple actions per round. During this action, it not only moves the original flaming sphers, it generates new ones. They also get a regular ranged attack on top of all this to pick off stragglers.
4. the guns are behind cover and while they are targetable, they are hardened target that takes a while to take down.
5. when they get to bloodied, they change/increase firing.
6. The arena itself will have chest-high walls for cover.

Would it work and what would need tweaking?

MarkB

Legend
Bullet hell games work by challenging the player's reflexes, pattern tracking and tactical forethought - they have to learn the patterns, act quickly enough to evade them, and not let themselves get boxed in and cornered.

Capturing all that in turn-based tactical combat is tricky. For the pattern to become clear, combats need to last through several rounds. Maintaining the sense of pressure and quick thinking would require strict time limits on players' turns. And with multiple players coordination becomes a new challenge.

I'd be tempted to make the spheres less predictable, but introduce the ability to dodge as a reaction by moving up to half your speed. That introduces the feel of having to use quick reactions in the battle, along with the tactical challenge of when to deploy your one available reaction each round.

HammerMan

Legend
Bullet hell games work by challenging the player's reflexes, pattern tracking and tactical forethought - they have to learn the patterns, act quickly enough to evade them, and not let themselves get boxed in and cornered.

Capturing all that in turn-based tactical combat is tricky. For the pattern to become clear, combats need to last through several rounds. Maintaining the sense of pressure and quick thinking would require strict time limits on players' turns. And with multiple players coordination becomes a new challenge.
the best way to do this is also the WORST way to do this... give a enemy (or better yet a minion set) the ability to use some special attacks in a pattern (round 1 X round 2 Y round 3 Z and teleport) that way several get away to repeat the pattern and the PCs learn it and can 'reflex memory' the fight...

I promise it will not end well. There are multi ways such a tactic COULD end... all degrees of bad.

Maybe a bit less bullet hell and more bullet heck.

I want to force the pcs to dance around the battlefield instead of clumping up like they normally do and feel empowered, abet a little annoyed, for doing so.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Maybe a bit less bullet hell and more bullet heck.

I want to force the pcs to dance around the battlefield instead of clumping up like they normally do and feel empowered, abet a little annoyed, for doing so.
You could do Zones / Area of Effect, um, effects on the battlemap.

Something like... while the turret is active, any character who doesn't move must make a Dexterity Saving Throw or receive # fire damage (half on success).

A type of bullet hell can be simulated by having pathways of attacks be telegraphed in advance, giving the players a chance to dodge attacks in the directions they feel are best, like in the boss battles of the critically acclaimed MMO Final Fantasy XIV.

the best way to do this is also the WORST way to do this... give a enemy (or better yet a minion set) the ability to use some special attacks in a pattern (round 1 X round 2 Y round 3 Z and teleport) that way several get away to repeat the pattern and the PCs learn it and can 'reflex memory' the fight...

I promise it will not end well. There are multi ways such a tactic COULD end... all degrees of bad.
So... the Sans fight? :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases