Since Gen Con is moving to Indiana, what will Wisconsin be left with?

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Since Gen Con is moving to Indiana, what will Wisconsin be left with?

Col_Pladoh said:

Those are all positives. The negatives not mentioned are the herds of Illinois tourist that plage the state year around...

:eek:

Gary

Hey... I won't argue with that.

I grew up in Red Wing, Minnesota.
I went to college in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Now, I work on the frontier of Chicago's suburbian wasteland... Where they cut down all the trees and name the streets after them.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Re: Since Gen Con is moving to Indiana, what will Wisconsin be left with?

Jack Haggerty said:

Hey... I won't argue with that.

I grew up in Red Wing, Minnesota.
I went to college in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Now, I work on the frontier of Chicago's suburbian wasteland... Where they cut down all the trees and name the streets after them.

Well, in truth I am a FIB born, but a Wisconsin boy at heart. Only trouble is that the folks here are so impressed with the success of sburban Chicago that they want to make all of this state like that--beginning with the Lake Geneva area. :mad:

If there was property available on a small lake in the Gnarley Forest, I'd be there, dude!

Gary

Jack Haggerty

First Post
~sigh~

Success, indeed.

We live in a cozy 100-year-old house in a friendly older neighborhood. I won't go near those sterile cookie-cutter house subdivisions for fear of getting lost amidst the labyrinths of cul-de-sacs.

Down here there aren't enough hills, there aren't enough trees and there isn't enough natural open water to suit my taste.

And for the life of me, I can't find deep fried cheese curds anywhere.

~sigh~

Oh well, on the other hand, Chicago does have one helluva set of museums, and one of the best zoos I've ever seen.

No Kopp's Frozen Custard and Jumbo Burgers, though.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I think Gen Con should move to the SUNNY, WARM,and NICE WEATHERED state of Florida.

Orlando was founded by people who do conventions. There are like more hotel rooms in Orlando than people who live there (I have no data to back me up on this claim).

I just came back from Megacon there and it was a blast. I have been to Gen Con once and I liked Milwaukee, it seemed expensive. I may go to GEN CON in 2003 if I save up the money.

Move it to Florida, not just because I live here:p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
There was a GenCon in Florida once, and I was there;)

Visited with Andrea norton afterwards too, so it was a doubly fun time.

There should be a big Florida con around the time of Spring Break, eh? :D

Gary

William Ronald

Explorer
As a Chicago native, I find the grousing about southern Wisconsin a little amusing. I have seen the same complaints in the south and southwestern suburbs. (Read about the arguments on the Peotone airport proposal>) Some people want economic growth, but not the change that comes with it. Few things are without a price, and change of some sort is inevitable. However, I think Wisconsin residents need to figure out what they want for their future. Not an easy task, I admit.

I have a lot of good will towards Milwaukee. I will miss Colonel Goolsby's (I may have mispelled it), but you know the restaurant if you have gone to Gen Con several times. Also, I will miss the Safe House.

However, I did here reports last summer that the Convention and Visitor's Bureau was trying to bad mouth Gen Con. If true, this is unfortunate. We are a relatively peaceful group who spend money like crazy.

William Ronald said:
As a Chicago native, I find the grousing about southern Wisconsin a little amusing. I have seen the same complaints in the south and southwestern suburbs. (Read about the arguments on the Peotone airport proposal>) Some people want economic growth, but not the change that comes with it. Few things are without a price, and change of some sort is inevitable. However, I think Wisconsin residents need to figure out what they want for their future. Not an easy task, I admit.

Well, that's the classic "debate" - but did you ever notice, that the people who make all the money off suburban sprawl don't usually live where they "develop" the area? They have places out in the country--with grass, trees, and no sidewalks.

I have a lot of good will towards Milwaukee. I will miss Colonel Goolsby's (I may have mispelled it), but you know the restaurant if you have gone to Gen Con several times. Also, I will miss the Safe House.

It's Major, not Colonel, but maybe he got a promotion. :D

And, I must confess, I have never been to the Safe House (lived here almost 7 years). And no one I know (my wife included) will divulge the password! :cool:

However, I did here reports last summer that the Convention and Visitor's Bureau was trying to bad mouth Gen Con. If true, this is unfortunate. We are a relatively peaceful group who spend money like crazy.

The move is probably/hopefully better for GenCon--the actual convention space sounds a lot better. It's just stupid for Milwaukee. But, once the business interests drive out all the "undesirable conventions" I'll be the first one laughing at their complaints that no one wants to come to Milwaukee.

adndgamer

First Post
Oh! I almost forgot about this.. and I dont' know if it's been mentioned yet, but there's a smaller con in Wisconsin, in Madison, April 12-14 at the Concourse Hotel, called Odyssey Con. I'm not sure how big it is, but I plan on attending it for the first time this year. Their website is www.oddcon.org , for those interested.

William Ronald

Explorer
Tell me about it, Barendd. I used to be a business reporter at a twice-weekly suburban paper. Half of the developers seemed to be out in the country. Of course, they may have been trying to stake their claims to land for future development.:D

I suppose the good Major Goolsby would not object to a promotion.;)

I haven't been to the safehouse in years. I think the password changes. However, I do remember the last one. Contact me.

I think Gen Con does a lot of good for Milwaukee. I first visited your city because of Gen Con. (I also got to go to backstage for an Emerson, Lake and Palmer concert there. I have a friend who was a rock journalist.) I have been back a few times since.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
adndgamer said:
Oh! I almost forgot about this.. and I dont' know if it's been mentioned yet, but there's a smaller con in Wisconsin, in Madison, April 12-14 at the Concourse Hotel, called Odyssey Con. I'm not sure how big it is, but I plan on attending it for the first time this year. Their website is www.oddcon.org , for those interested.

Yes indeed, Oddcon, and I'll be there :eek:

For those not familiar with it, this is a small and fairly intimate event. There are SF folks there as well as gamers. A fun gathering that's different from a small gaming-only con, GenCon too of course.

Maybe it could be promoted to a more major gaming event in 2003, but I somehow don't think its sponsors are too interested in that...

BTW, last year I met Jack Chalker there. He and I began about the sametime, Jack in SF, and I in gaming. We bnoth were active in a SF fanzine bqack in the 1960s.

Gary

Remove ads