Since Gen Con is moving to Indiana, what will Wisconsin be left with?

adndgamer

First Post
I got a flyer, and plan on making copies (borrowing my school's copy-machine) and spreading them around town and the school and such. The more gamers, the better :)

I was kind of disappointed to see no 3e games scheduled for thing so far. Maybe somebody would be so good as to run an OD&D, 1st ed., or Lejendary Adventures game? :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
adndgamer said:
I got a flyer, and plan on making copies (borrowing my school's copy-machine) and spreading them around town and the school and such. The more gamers, the better :)

I was kind of disappointed to see no 3e games scheduled for thing so far. Maybe somebody would be so good as to run an OD&D, 1st ed., or Lejendary Adventures game? :D

Well Dude!

I plan to run a couple of LA game sessions at OddCon. If I am not slated to be busy on this or that panel or seminar, I can also run an OAD&D dungeon crawl or whatever. Always fun :eek:

So do spread the word, and look me up there. Likely my son Alex will be with me, so with his help I can manage larger groups if need be.

Gary

Walter_J

First Post
EricNoah said:

Just me and Gary Gygax! :eek:

So..., if I understand this correctly, Wisconsin is going to be kicked out of the Union soon? Do you think Canada will buy up the property or will the former State go independent? ;)

Walter

mzsylver

Explorer
Barendd Nobeard said:
I've seen them elsewhere, too. Lots of places have them.

But in Milwaukee, they're busy year round. I mean, "Hello, Milwaukeans, it's cold out & you're eating custard!" Of course, maybe people here like the cold. Heck, our furnace just went out, and we're not having it replaced until Monday. Overnight lows in the 20's just doesn't seem cold. Must be all that custard.

nonono cold bad. i been living in wisconsin all my life and it's STILL too cold every winter. i go to school in boston now, and when im shivering people always ask, "Arent you from Wisconsin?"

for people who dont know what custard is, think Culver's. and i am very pro ice cream-custard-sorbet-frozen yogurt-anything else sweet and delicious.

OH YA... there was a topic wasnt there. :D

i still cant believe GenCon is moving. im in denial. GenCon started in wisconsin because this is the birth place of gaming. it just seems... insane... that it could move after all these years.

it wont feel the same.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mzsylver said:

nonono cold bad. i been living in wisconsin all my life and it's STILL too cold every winter. i go to school in boston now, and when im shivering people always ask, "Arent you from Wisconsin?"

for people who dont know what custard is, think Culver's. and i am very pro ice cream-custard-sorbet-frozen yogurt-anything else sweet and delicious.

OH YA... there was a topic wasnt there. :D

i still cant believe GenCon is moving. im in denial. GenCon started in wisconsin because this is the birth place of gaming. it just seems... insane... that it could move after all these years.

it wont feel the same.

Yuppers... winters in Wisconsin bite, although this year's has been pretty mild :D

Frozen custard is really good stuff--not the soft-serve drek, but the real thing made with cream and all.

As for GenCon moving, well that REALLY sucks from my point of view. Milwaukee is a "small big town," and in all a good place for the event. Agreed, hotel space is at a premium, but costs are cheap compared to a realcity like Chicago. Indy miight be on a per with Milwaukee cost-wise, butI'll never know for sure...

:rolleyes:
Gary

Mandor

First Post
One of the things I loved most about GenCon in Milwaukee was the food court in the mall just a block away. I never had to eat convention food.

Does anybody know what is near Indy's convention center?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mixmaster said:
GenCon isn't the "image" they wanted to portray.

Strange. A couple of years ago, when I came a week earlier guess what type of convention I ran into at the Hilton?? A Heavy Metal/Goth one.

Want to hear something even funnier? Two blocks down from Gencon in 2000 was a Promise-Keepers Convention. Talk about two groups of people shooting each other funny looks! :eek:

WSmith

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
There was a GenCon in Florida once, and I was there;)

There should be a big Florida con around the time of Spring Break, eh? :D

Gary

This is the best idea I have heard yet! :D

Actually to those who asked why not move it to a Coastal population center, someone can correct me, but if IIRC, on the old Cipher.Wizards newsgroups said it satyed in Wisconsin for so long partly because it was mutually inconvienent for with of the highly populated coast to attend, meaning if it was in CA, the NY folks would have a heck of a journey, and vice versa. Dead smack in the middle of the country was a good idea. Now, a little off center to the east will be good for me when I move back to NJ. :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
WSmith said:

This is the best idea I have heard yet! :D

Actually to those who asked why not move it to a Coastal population center, someone can correct me, but if IIRC, on the old Cipher.Wizards newsgroups said it satyed in Wisconsin for so long partly because it was mutually inconvienent for with of the highly populated coast to attend, meaning if it was in CA, the NY folks would have a heck of a journey, and vice versa. Dead smack in the middle of the country was a good idea. Now, a little off center to the east will be good for me when I move back to NJ. :D

Way back around the time of Origins 3, I met with tom Shaw of Avalonhill and Jim Dunnigan of SPI--then that made it a meeting of the "big three" in hobby gaming. I tried to get an agreement as to having mutually supported conventions on the East and West Coasts, with GenCon in the north Central, and one in the Southwest--likely Texas.

My suggestion was to do joint advertising, appear at all four cons, feature one a year as the "Primer" for that year.

Obviously my idea didn't fly... I think it was a good one that would have promoted gaming, served the gaming audience well indeed. :rolleyes:

Gary

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Mandor said:
One of the things I loved most about GenCon in Milwaukee was the food court in the mall just a block away. I never had to eat convention food.

Does anybody know what is near Indy's convention center?

Connected by sky-bridge is the Circle Center Mall with a food court and italian, chinese, and Champs dine in restaraunts. Within 2-3 blocks are most fast food chains, Einstein Bagels, Stake and Shake, plus many yuppie restaraunts. Within 4-6 blocks you can also get Indian, Thai, Irish, and Mexican.

Remove ads