Since Gen Con is moving to Indiana, what will Wisconsin be left with?

Pelosan Emperor

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:

Well, of course it is. There's nothing else to do in Indi-yawn-a! Especially if you don't like basketball. (No offense to my friends, ancestors, and college professors from the Hoosier state--and, come to think of it, they all have one thing in common--they left Indiana!)

As a long-term resident of Indy, I would like to address the preconception that there is nothing to do here.

I'll grant you that Indy isn't as big a tourist draw as some other cities (unless it's a race weekend, of course). However, Indy does boast an excellent award-winning Children's Museum just north of downtown as well as a great zoo and the White River Gardens (perfect for those of you who might want to bring the non-gaming family with you). There is also a Native American museum downtown, along with the NCAA Hall of Fame, Victory Field and Conseco Fieldhouse for you sports fans.

There are also a number of theatres (ranging from good to strange) for plays or musicals, as well as several concert venues downtown.

If you're more of a nightlife person, there are several clubs and bars downtown (even some OK gay ones, if that floats your boat).

If you want to see more of Indiana, I would suggest Brown County State Park which is about an hour south of Indy. It's got good camping (or so my friends tell me) and some wonderful scenery (which I know first-hand).

Indy may not be the cultural equal of NYC, LA, or Chicago (as if we'd want to be!), but it's not nearly as boring as you make it out to be.

Give it a chance! :)

PE

Mixmaster said:
GenCon isn't the "image" they wanted to portray.

Strange. A couple of years ago, when I came a week earlier guess what type of convention I ran into at the Hilton?? A Heavy Metal/Goth one.

I doubt the Chamber of Commerce will ever welcome any metal/goth conventions back. And since the "business community" in Milwaukee isn't exactly consistent, they'll bend over backwards to kiss Harley Davidson's ass and invite biker gangs to town for PigFest (or whatever the hell it's called).

Mixmaster said:
In conclusion, I'll miss Milwaukee (badly), but I think Indy will be alright. But to who will be selling the brats in 2003, I'll be one of the first in line.

Selling? Heck, you can have one for half-price! :D

Pelosan Emperor said:
Give it a chance! :)

PE

Oh, I will. Especially since I am not going to GenCon for night life or tourist attractions. I am going for gaming and vendor booths and seminars (and maybe an autograph or two), so the quality of night life and other non-convention attractions isn't a big deal for me. (Though I do understand that some people like to visit stuff outside a convention when they go to one; I'm just not likely to be one of them).

So I will be happy to give Indy a chance*. But as a Milwaukee resident, I am bound by the sacred oath to disparage those who STEAL OUR CONVENTIONS! (just kidding :D )

*since it's not in the middle of winter - Indy does NOT know how to plow even a moderate snow fall.

Mixmaster

Explorer
Selling? Heck, you can have one for half-price!

It may be a year-and-a-half early, but I will hold you to it.

2 with onions, mustard and the "secret" stadium sauce. :D :D

Also about Indy:

There's supposed to be a AAA baseball team also. And to Pelosan Emporer, how are the golf courses??

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Cake Mage said:

I most highly agree. Me being from San Diego of course and cannot make to gencon due to, well, because its so d*** far away. The move to Indy is not a smart move because lets face it, there is nothing it that region. All around the major city's are farms and prarries. I was planning on going last year but due to financial reasons, I was unable.

Why oh why didn't they move it to a coastal area? If not West coast then why not East. There are a lot of people there to. Not to mention lots of big cities with more people.

Uhg
Some people have poor planning....

Well I agree that there should be more large convensions and if there were I would go, so people in California and the East Coast should try holding one. Since GenCon is already established as a midwestern thing why not leave it here.

As for a lack of big cities Indianapolis is within driving distance of quite a few. St. Louis 4 hrs, Chicago 3 hrs, Detroit, 5 hrs, Columbus 3 hrs, Cincinnati 2 hrs, Cleveland 5 hrs, Pittsburg 6 hrs, Milwaukee 5hrs, Louisville 2 hrs, Nashville 5 hrs.

Mixmaster said:
Selling? Heck, you can have one for half-price!

It may be a year-and-a-half early, but I will hold you to it.

2 with onions, mustard and the "secret" stadium sauce. :D :D

I even know where to get the secret "stadium sauce" so you are in luck!

Ok, ok, so it's not difficult to come by. But I've got to decide on a good mustard, though. There are lot a good Polish & German mustards available in the Milwaukee area. Hey, maybe I should post a poll.... :D

Brown Jenkin said:
Well I agree that there should be more large convensions and if there were I would go, so people in California and the East Coast should try holding one. Since GenCon is already established as a midwestern thing why not leave it here.

Because WotC already has a huge convention in Columbus, Ohio (Origins). Then there's Winter Fantasy, which is just RPGA, but is in.... Fort Wayne, Indiana. Oh, and there's also Star Wars Celebration, which is in.... Indianapolis.

Hmmm.... look out Origins. Will you be in Indiana before long? Can you resist the lure of convention-friendly Indy?

I'm not sure what WotC's role is in Origins. The Origins page lists them as a sponsor, but the WotC page lists Origins as if it's a WotC convention.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:

Because WotC already has a huge convention in Columbus, Ohio (Origins). Then there's Winter Fantasy, which is just RPGA, but is in.... Fort Wayne, Indiana. Oh, and there's also Star Wars Celebration, which is in.... Indianapolis.

Hmmm.... look out Origins. Will you be in Indiana before long? Can you resist the lure of convention-friendly Indy?

I'm not sure what WotC's role is in Origins. The Origins page lists them as a sponsor, but the WotC page lists Origins as if it's a WotC convention.

You are correct, there are a lot of conventions in Indiana and I am not advocating bringing even more here. The point I so ineloquently was trying to make was that in addition to Midwestern ones I would like for there to be other conventions as well and I would be willing to travel to them.

I have been to Origins and I will be going again this year. Winter Fantasy is alot smaller and seams to be mostly RPGA which is great for RPGA members but not for me. As for Celebration II I do not know why we were chosen, but it is not so much of a gaming convention as a Star Wars convention.

I am not sure exactly the relationship between Origins and WotC but WotC seams to run it even though it is supposed to be GAMA's convention. I guess being the 800 lb Gorrilla is the likely answer.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Whats on at Milwaukee

DungeonKeeperUK said:
Just to turn this around a little, I'll be coming over to GenCon thsi year (from the UK) and spending the beginning of the week there too....
Anything I shouldn't miss out on..
Already looking forward to teh breweries, Steaks and cigars... but what else guys.. :)

The breweries aren't up to the "real ale" standards of the UK, by and large. Only the micros offer something not close to water...

For a great restaurant be sure to go to the Old Town Serbian Gourmet--Old Town is about two miles or so from downtown Milwaukee, so you'll need to ride there.

Gary

Remove ads